OU812
Hello. I am personally responsible for each of the icewm menu layouts. So blame me for the ones you like and the ones you don't.

In the latest release, my goal was to present more consistent layouts between fluxbox and icewm. Unfortunately, some things didn't work out as well as I had hoped and it appears that I've missed several things.

A second goal in changing the layout was to provide an"auto update" feature, which you will find in both menus if you look around a bit. I provided two options to anti, and he seemed to like this option better.

The third goal was to present a cleaner layout based on spri linux. I was impressed by their simple layout - putting the most commonly used apps at the top of the menu and the remaining apps in an gnome-like submenu. Also, I felt that putting cli apps, tools, etc., in separate folders would help to highlight some of the things that set antix apart from other distros: cli apps, several apps per task, and user contributed apps.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

Peace Out.
masinick
Grabbin' it now, been kinda behind in testing these days - no USB external drive to test Virtualbox images and I've been pretty busy with work and personal life, but I'm downloading tonight. depending on the download speed I may get a chance to try it out yet tonight.
secipolla
John, as I explained above, the entries between 'Applications' and 'System' (the core of your change), for me, really improved the menu.
The choice of the top apps (or if Searchmonkey should go to the bottom like ICE said) are indifferent for me.
OU812
I'll try and restructure the menu. The layout you're suggesting sounds like the xfce menu layout. I think it would be an improvement. It looks like I've got some more work to do.

john
OU812
Perhaps this is more to your liking. I do admit that it has a better feel to it. It's modeled a little after the xfce menu layout..

I'm also thinking of removing the"windows" entry (this requires editing the prefs file) since you can add a taskbar button for it or just right-click on the taskbar. It would help to unclutter the menu a bit more.

john
secipolla
This root menu looks really good and grouping the Control center and desktop settings under 'Settings' was a nice idea.
I think too that 'Windows' could be left out, it's pretty redundant (in Icewm testing/sid you can't right-click the taskbar but there's always the left 'windows' (Super) key).

BTW- what a nice Icewm+gtk theming. Is that 'forbidden' (gradients issue) for the testing version?
OU812
Thanks. No, the gtk theme is caramello and it should be included in antix. On this box I'm still using 8.0 set to stable repos. The icewm theme is at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.box-look.org"
linktext was:"http://www.box-look.org"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and should be near the top of the icewm themes page.

john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I think there there should only be one 'Settings' entry. Maybe the first should be 'Desktop'?
If so then antiXcc should go elsewhere.

For icewmcc, as changes need a restart, should this be included somewhere in the icewmcc app?
secipolla
icewmcc already pops up a warning saying that Icewm must be restarted for changes to take effect.

While I was translating, one of the options wouldn't pop up this warning and it was because while copying something was left out. So this warning is a good measure to know if everything is working because it comes only when ~/.icewm/preferences is written.

I agree about the 'Settings'. We're so used to the menu that it's easy to overlook these things.
dark-D
looking good john, the new layout is better. maybe settings should be under apps and cli apps. the separate cli apps in antix menu is a great idea because antix has a lot of cool cli apps. should mc, ceni and alsamixer be included in cli apps ?
OU812
Found a fix:
Change the ~/.icewm/menu entry from

Code: Select all

menufile Applications /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/blam.png /usr/home/demo/application
to

Code: Select all

menufile Applications /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/blam.png application
Stumbled on this while searching for something else.

Looking for a fix:
I'd like to move the antix settings submenu to the icewm setttings menu - or at least the icewm part of it. So far I haven't found a way to do it yet. However, I know Paul Sherman (absolute linux) found a way to do it - he added some entries to the default icewm settings submenu. I'm going to install absolute on a test machine to find his secrets. This will help me make the final suggested changes.

Glad this is working out better for folks.

john
OU812
New menu layout?

Control Center moved to the top of the Tools submenu. Desktop > Settings designed to showcase various icon and management options. In this submenu, PCManFM launches with"pcmanfm --show-pref=3" which should open pcmanfm with the desktop preferences tab. The idesktool entry is just a little redundant with the antixcc.

john
masinick
Looking good, John.

Anti, I have been seeing an issue with the private test 1 image. The X server with Slim has been consuming an inordinate amount of CPU. I have not yet had a chance to try out the PT1 to see if this is still the case or if it is isolated to the earlier M8.5 test release only. I've never seen this kind of CPU consumption in antiX (or anything else, for that matter. Sitting practically idle, X with Slim is consuming between 50-60% of CPU with occasional spikes nearly up to 100%; VERY uncharacteristic of antiX. Has anyone else experienced this issue with either the test release or other builds? As I mentioned, this is the first and only time I've noticed this issue in the couple of years since at least the 6.5 release.

If you need any specifics to help track down what's going on I can let you know. I'm seeing it on the Gateway PA6A 17" laptop that I call a portable (kinda big for the lap. I use it on a desk or a card table. IF you need specs, let me know and I'll get you whatever I can find on it.
secipolla
If you have an Intel video chip then you must install libgl1-mesa-dri
See:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=203482&postcount=6"
linktext was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showp ... ostcount=6"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
(the latest beta already has this package)
mariel77
anti,
Will you have an upgrade script available later on?
Thanks!