anticapitalista
Site Admin
erie, but where does this get saved to?
Diversion
Hi guys,

I have again M8.2-test3 running on my faithful ASUS A1000 Pentium III Copermine with 128MB RAM (shared with video RAM).
Posting my findings:
- I confirm that not having a /home partition makes the system accept pt menus translated. No error msgs during install;
- this install comes from choosing full version LiveCD, could not install from XtraLean, probably because I did not have a root partition + swap properly formatted (I 1st tried GParted from within Mepis Install but nothing happened). Had to start VL install procedures which is text based and allows me to partitioning my hard drive (with a reboot before starting VL install). With my hard disk dully partitioned antix-M8.2-test3 went all the way till the end;
- when I 1st choosed to boot LiveCD I opt for pt_PT. This kbd layout was working after finishing installing antix to hard disk (although during install, Mepis asked for kbd layout and locale - us by default --> I changed this to pt_PT and to pt.UTF8);
- I guess that having only a / and a swap partition allowed me to program a day-to-day user with a name bigger than 2 letters;
- Linksys USB wireless WUSB54G-v4 works seamlessly without flaws using wicd over a WAP network;
- I am using IceWM now. I'll check other WM later.

One final thought: I had this same"problem" with M8 due to the fact of only having 128MB RAM shared with video (which makes me have around 100MB RAM for system. Basically if you're running LiveCD and although RAM memory is around 60% used the system is already using swap. This prevented me from using GParted to redo my hard disk partitions, specially swap. Either you had everything done before started LiveCD or you simply couldn't go beyond phase 1 (immediately after choosing how to install - either using existing partitions or using full disk for antix or....)

Keep up the good work guys !
Dive
secipolla
anti, test 3 also has that problem of holding rtorrent. It's because libtorrent11 is missing (reinstalling rtorrent solves it, of course),
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Diversion,

thanks for the feedback. I have fixed the problem with having /home on a separate partition.
oldhoghead tested it and it works as it should.

Instead of using gparted to set partitions before installation, you could use cfdisk, fdisk or parted (all as root in a terminal).
I think cfdisk is easier.
Diversion
Hi anti,

I do prefer cfdisk to set partitions but i cannot change/format swap since its in use due to my low memory.

Glad to hear you've solved the issue about having /home on a separate partition.
So far 8.2-test3 is running smoothly in my old ASUS.
Seems that wicd is more stable for my wireless card.

I'll keep on testing and will post any findings.

Dive
eriefisher
anticapitalista wrote:erie, but where does this get saved to?
I thought it was saved to ~/.config/pcmanfm but I don't see it there. I'm not sure how it does it.
eriefisher
Ok, I think I found it. ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. Open it with a text editor such as leafpad to view/change. The desktop files are created as you select the default app I beleive.
secipolla
Here (test 2) it's called defaults.list
OU812
PCmanFm config gets saved to:

~/.config/pcmanfm/main

Here's mine

Code: Select all

[General]
show_hidden_files=1

[Window]
width=552
height=399
splitter_pos=160
maximized=0

[Desktop]
show_desktop=1
show_wallpaper=1
wallpaper=/home/john/Wallpaper/setting-sail.jpg
show_wm_menu=1
bg2=24504,49132,36796
john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks.

Where does the 'open with' settings get saved to and how?
secipolla
/home/username/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

Current state:

[Default Applications]
image/png=gqview.desktop
application/x-linguist=linguist-qt4.desktop
image/gif=gpicview.desktop
image/jpeg=gpicview.desktop
EDIT- it seems to be from pcmanfm (rox doesn't follow it).
OU812
There's also a file in the same directory mimeinfo.cache:

[MIME Cache]
audio/mpeg=xmms-usercreated-0.desktop;gmusicbrowser-usercreated-0.desktop;
application/x-deb=gdebi-usercreated-0.desktop
application/zip=gdebi-gtk-usercreated-0.desktop
image/x-xpixmap=mtpaint-usercreated-0.desktop
john
secipolla
anti, I have noted on all versions of antiX-8 (up to 8.2-test3) that the 'x' cursor doesn't hide besides 'hidecursor true' being set on slim.conf. Then I delete the space in the beginning of the line and it starts to work. The same with the 'numlock on' option.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks, I'll delete the space