dark-D
usplash will remain? because the theme doesn't work and on boot the system stays a few seconds to give the error about the theme.
masinick
Ack! Got to the party a week late! Will download now and give it a whirl!
masinick
masinick wrote:Ack! Got to the party a week late! Will download now and give it a whirl!
Awesome, guys! Who did the splash artwork for this test? I think it is the best boot splash we've had yet, and the desktop background in the default IceWM happens to be my favorite background, too.

With ceni, wireless fired right up, running from RAM right now, good performance, good looks, the usual excellent effort, and this is only test 1! Outstanding job once again!
Who would expect anything else from this team?

See my gushings over at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://masinick.blog.com/"
linktext was:"http://masinick.blog.com/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
masinick
I submitted a story about the announcement to Slashdot. Hope that they take it! I've tried to splash it on as many of my blogs as I can remember and write about it in my favorite forums as well.

Great job!
masinick
I'm glad that we've kept IceWM as the default window manager, even though in surveys here, a lot of us who frequent these forums seem to prefer Fluxbox by a wide margin. I just think as the default window manager, IceWM makes a lot of sense because I think it has a somewhat more"familiar feel to it", particularly for people with old computers that may have used either Windows 98 or Windows XP on their old computer prior to looking to try out something different.

Without a doubt, having Fluxbox around as well is an asset, and managing to contain the size of the distribution makes this really good. Having Fluxbox in the base and IceWM in the full version as the default also makes great sense.

I've been writing articles all over the place tonight trying to get us a few more (hopefully a LOT more) users. Has anyone mentioned the test release to DistroWatch yet - and do we want to do so, or do we want to keep testing small and tight right now? I think it is solid enough to spread the net out far and wide, but what do you think?
masinick
I'm looking at the Fluxbox window manager, and I examined the wallpapers and they are just as nicely done as the versions with IceWM. I think our artists are getting better and better with every release, and based on some of the comments on the first and second pages of this thread, I suspect that there may be even more refinement in store for us between now and the release in terms of artistry. Wow, excellent work!

I've tried to navigate around to a reasonable selection of apps and I have yet to find any issues. I'm not the best one for that kind of thing; I use a relatively small subset of applications overall, though I do use a variety of Web Browsers, Email clients, terminal emulators, and text editors.

Everything I have tried works fast and looks good.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
masinick,

Thanks for the comments and gushing __{{emoticon}}__

Test2 will be out very soon. It is even better than test1 as I have managed to improve localisation so that the language chosen on boot livecd eg lang=es will not only localise the fluxbox/icewm menus, set up the profile for Spanish, set xorg.conf to toggle between Spanish and English (US), set Debian repos to locale area ie es in this example for the livecd, but also transfer that automatically to the installed antiX.

I have also added a couple of useful apps. xclip and ripit.

I have edited the mepis-installer to make it more antiX applicable. It isn't finished yet, but it does what I want it to so far.

ice-m: about the antiX2usb.sh. I found it didn't work as well (same error). Could you try the one included in antiX-M8 (/usr/local/bin/iso2usb.sh) on your newly installed antiX-M8.2-test1?
If it works, then I'll revert back to the older version.
masinick
See anti, I told you that you are a great integrator and our community are great testers with great ideas! __{{emoticon}}__ I look forward to the next test update. Keep up the awesome job that you and everyone else is doing!
dark-D
when i tried it, first i used the one in M8. after that i used the one in tips and tricks and then the one in 8.2test1. i don't have an live usb at the moment only a cd with antix 8.2 test1. IMHO i think is something to do with policykit. anti do you know where in the forum is the other script for liveusb? i can't manage to find it. also if you have the older version of iso2usb.sh please pm it to me. because the link in tips&tricks doesn't have it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
ice-m,

you can find the iso2usb.sh script here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/antiX-upgrader7.5-8.0/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/antiX-upgrader7.5-8.0/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
dark-D
it doesn't work either. same error about temp and mounting point.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
ice-m,

what if you change the contents of the /etc/PolicyKit/policykit.conf to its original:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC 
"-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">
(keep a backup copy).

Does new and ols iso2usb work?
secipolla
Anti, in the Fluxbox main menu you may put 'Procurar' instead of 'Procura' for 'Search' (lang=br). We rectified the term but you corrected only the Iceweasel environment.
Thank you.
P.S. - looking forward to test the next test release. When it comes out I can post in some Brazilian forums for people to try it.
secipolla
Anti, as far as I can tell the two options, 'Wikipedia (en)' and 'Wikipedia (English)' in Iceweasel's search box are the same thing.