anticapitalista
Site Admin

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test%20releases/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test%20releases/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

There are still a couple of minor bugs that I have spotted, but could you check out the mouse config app written by OU812 (in control centre), wireless (including mnetwork, wicd, ceni), printing, sound and whatever else tickles your fancy!

I'll upload a deltapatch from pt1 to this release asap.

Post comments here.
plvera
Hi Anti:
I'm running prefinal iso right now, and ceni picked up my wireless card (as eth0), but not my ethernet card. BTW, lsmod says that ndiswrapper is loaded, so I guesss that should also work in my installed system.

Wicd is not working for me. When I click on it, I get a dialogue window about permissions:

Failed to run /usr/sbin/wicd as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.

When I click OK, to close the window, another one pops-up that says:

Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.

When I try to close that one, the first window pops up, etc., etc.

thanks

Pedro
dark-D
i just installed it. everything works. even the wired network with the wireless off and wicd enabled.(i'll keep on eye on this one, to good to be true). i can see the wireless networks that surround me, can't test the wireless, because they are encrypted.

on the romanian translation part in icewm toolbar: Quit is translated as"Inchide" and should be"Iesire"
secipolla
anti, as long as we update the antiX home page with the announcement of 8.2 (send it to us beforehand, if possible) then you could change the menus to default the browsers to antix's home page in the the proper language.
I know you were thinking about saving space in the iso but, regardless of that (which is something you know about and I don't), I think Iceweasel should come localised.
Also in IceWM's and FluxBox's menus 'Rede>Transferência de arquivos' is mispelled 'Tranferência'. [Portuguese (Brasil) locale.]
secipolla
Anti, please use the attached translation for the antiX installer.
In antiX-M8.2-prefinal.iso you used something based on the former pt_BR translation for the MEPIS installer. It's only partially translated and has mistakes.
I changed MEPIS for antiX like you did in some places. If you made some tweaks to the installer and it doesn't work, maybe you could upload the original for me to make the changes (or just use the attached file as a base).
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Anti,

Have been running the prefinal, via live-cd, wireless works at home with wpa encryption using mnetwork, ceni and wicd, all three will connect, but wicd showed connected, but after starting iceweasel, showed no connection, even though the icon showed connected to my essid. Retried by closing browser and restarting, about the third time finally connected, whereas mnetwork and ceni, when they connected, got on the www immediately. Not sure what is going on there, but will keep testing and will install later to see is the wicd anomaly persists through hd install.The mouse config; will not change the cursor size. Changed size, logout and login, and still same size as default. Will keep testing.

cheers,
oldhoghead
masinick
I am running this pre-final version in Virtualbox after a few weeks of also trying PT1 in the Virtualbox and running a prior M8.0 with updates. Everything works fine for me in all variations - and I did not run into either window manager or wicd issues as reported by others (am I just fortunate or are those things only affecting certain classes of systems and users)? In any case, I am quite happy with this version, as I have been with all of the previous ones.

Let me know when the final one goes out; I have Jim Lynch (former manager of Extreme Tech at Ziff Davis) freelance Linux review tech writer (and me - I write my own reviews) primed and ready to go out and promote this stuff! Lynch wants to wait for the final, but I've already blogged previously about the test versions, and I am ready to cast the net further out as soon as I get the green light! __{{emoticon}}__
OU812
Connected wirelessly using wicd; however, I couldn't load web pages in either iceweasel or dillo.

Some windows not drawn correctly, for example the logout confirmation window.

The mouse theme icon is missing in the mouse config app.

I couldn't find ~/.Xdefaults so I couldn't test the cursor size option in the mouse config app.

In the control center, I think the desktop > mouse cursor button should launch the new mouse app since it has a theme changing option.

Very nice icewm desktop theme. It has really grown on me.

Nice job including Ted.

john
dark-D
tried the wireless on 2 laptops and wicd connects but the pages won't load. i disabled wicd and i tried ceni. in one didn't work, it didn't recognised the wireless card and one connected but the net was really really slow. also when i try to mount the win partition in pcmanfm i get that error about hal, not the usual permission error, after i open pcmanfm in super user i can mount them. i'm going to try on my laptop tomorrow to see if it works.

in one laptop i can't see the wireless card in inxi and ceni doesn't see any wireless at all. but the net in wicd sees the routers and connects. in browser nothing loads.
the second laptop with really slow net only in ceni has: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver wl network card. HTH
masinick
Still going strong with the prefinal!
secipolla
Anti, you forgot to delete the space before 'numlock off' and 'hidecursor true' in /etc/slim.conf. It's as simple as that to make them work.

Maybe a little script to toggle conky's colors?

Besides that warning thing I said yesterday, the antiX installer went well, but since I examined it fully, I made some slight changes to the translation (annexed).
secipolla
There's a boot parameter, something like 'resume=/hda2'. In all my antiX installations it shows these lines at boot (approximately):

trying to resume from /dev/hda2
no resume image...
doing normal boot

Maybe it's needed for something but I'll try to delete it to see if it's ok.

Something else: in the installer help messages, the one about GRUB says it wont recognize other linux systems. But the last time I installed on the hd GRUB put correctly an entry for ubuntu in the menu.lst (it's not installed anymore but I'm almost sure about that).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Anti, you forgot to delete the space before 'numlock off' and 'hidecursor true' in /etc/slim.conf. It's as simple as that to make them work.
But I did delete the space.

I'll use the latest minstall-antiX_pt_BR.ts.
dark-D
i tried prefinal1 on one of the laptops. wicd and the net worked after i entered dhclient as root in the terminal. thanks oldhoghead 4 the tip.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
No problem ICE-M, glad to see it resolved, I am currently testing on my old laptop:

demo@mepis1:~$ inxi -F
System: Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.2 Tȟašúŋke Witkó - Crazy Horse 11 July 2009
CPU: Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (UP) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 896.43 clocked at 448.049 MHz
Graphics: Card ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x X.Org 1.4.2 Res: 1024x768@85.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa GLX Indirect GLX Version 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.4) Direct Rendering No
Audio: Card ESS ES1978 Maestro 2E driver ES1968 (ESS Maestro) at port d800
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.17
Network: Card Atheros AR2413 802.11bg NIC driver ath_pci v: svn
Disks: HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (-) 1: /dev/hda WDC WD400UE-22HCT0 40.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 105K (1%) ID:swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.02GB (2%)
Info: Processes 79 Uptime 1:42 Memory 140.6/312.0MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.17

Had a problem getting the liveCD to work, finally went into setup (F2) on this dell and changed the boot order to cd-rom to 1st and it booted immediately, I had to use ceni to connect here at home with wpa, mnetwork would not connect acct of drivers, but ceni connected right away using the same driver?
I am still amazed that this old laptop runs so well with the newest version of antiX.
Great job Anticapitalista once again. Thanks for extending the life of all these antiques at least by windows standards, If it were not for linux I would have junked this laptop thinking I had to buy newer hardware, so I could also say" now I'm sitting behind a machine, infected by a virus from Redmond, which some people call"Operating system.." Great line by holgerw at sidux forum. It does resonate with me.

Cheers,
oldhoghead