anticapitalista
Site Admin
This is a test release, mainly to see how the controlcenter works and peoples opinions of icewm.
Many thanks to OU812 for icewm and the controlcentre.

I've had a few problems running this version as a livecd (ie no apt-get update/upgrade in livecd mode), but it works ok when installed. Not sure if the problem is with my setup or generally with antiX.

Kernel is the same as previous versions of M7 antiX.
You will notice that it is much bigger, even though there are no new apps (except those needed for the Control Centre).
Post comments, experience here.

Get it here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
====================================
Last edited by anticapitalista on 07 Aug 2008, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.
OU812
I haven't downloaded the iso yet, but the problem with synaptic is not unusual. I'm fairly certain that I've seen this problem with ubuntu (and others) - you can't update synaptic in livecd mode, but you can once the os has been installed. This is the first time I've heard of it in antix.

john
eriefisher
Have you thought about a release with the smxi script and a newer sidux kernel? I'm running 2.6.25-9.slh.1-sidux-686 and it's working pretty well. We probably won't see a new Mepis kernel until Warren releases"8".
OU812
I have done some testing on the livecd. Fluxbox and icewm look terrific. The logout and control center windows look much improved. This distro has come such a long way since it first appeared on distrowatch so long ago.

I know that the iso has grown a bit, but I wonder if there's room for a note-taking app? I think zim would be a good fit.

Congratulations, anti!

john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
eriefisher wrote:Have you thought about a release with the smxi script and a newer sidux kernel? I'm running 2.6.25-9.slh.1-sidux-686 and it's working pretty well. We probably won't see a new Mepis kernel until Warren releases"8".
smxi is included in antiX-M7.5-test1.
Installing a new kernel is a breeze, as is now getting nvidia, ati drivers.

For those testing the livecd, can you use synaptic or apt-get?
OU812
I know that wicd is a popular app because it has a tray icon and gives an easy to gui for wireless connections, but here is another app with similar benefits: rutilt. I used it on goblinx and was impressed. So I installed it using synaptic and it didn't pull in any dependencies. Here's a screenshot (notice it has a tray icon as well):

This may provide a lightweight alternative to wicd and help lighten the size of the iso a little as well.

john
harii
The new Control center stuff is great!
Nitrogen and LXAppearance are great add as well.
Good work guys--
I will have to give Rutilt a try.
OU812
In this post
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/keyboard-problem-t888.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/keyboard-problem-t888.html"
====================================
a user was having trouble setting up a keyboard. I checked and the control center shipped with 7.5 has an option for"British" keyboards (gb). Hopefully, this won't be a problem.

Anti and I have also added some additional functionality to the logout dialog: a lock option. Here's a screenshot ...

Have fun.

john
Last edited by OU812 on 01 Jul 2008, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
Here's a possible new control center feature: hal device manager. I found this while taking a look at lxpanel. I didn't even know it was installed. Another thing I didn't know was installed was qt 4 , which would be very useful when changing the look of the mepis tools and opera. I think the qt 4 settings app should simply have a menu entry while I think the hal device manager should have a control center button. But I am not the only one who makes decisions. Here's a screenshot if you're curious.

john
masinick
I am really looking forward to testing antiX-M7.5-test1 at the earliest opportunity. I am therefore attempting to download it now and as soon as I get some free moments I will at least try it and I will try to get some feedback.

Are there particular areas where you would especially like the testing to be focused? I have four systems (2 desktops, 2 laptops) where I could test it out.
masinick
My opinion of IceWM in general is quite favorable and I advocate keeping it with AntiX. I will examine IceWM in this new implementation and give you any observations that I may have. I will also look at the American English version of Control Center since I am from the US! You may want some east of the pond to cover the European version. __{{emoticon}}__

Kidding aside, I am eager and the download is underway.

Update: I just finished my download, now I will burn the image.

... later... I am now in AntiX 7.5 Test 1 using IceWM and I really like it! I like the fact that each app on the task bar has an icon rendering that is clear, clean, and colorful. I like the fact that there are several wallpapers available and a few of them I really like.

I checked the Control Center out and it works well too.
I used ceni to get my networking going with wireless from the Live CD and that worked.

I do not see synaptic work when booting Live and using CD. Will experiment to see what happens if I write TORAM and other options later.

This looks very good. Based on what I typically use this for, I could go with this as it is right now, but it may still merit more testing and refinement. In usual Warren/Anti style, a bootable build works right away. Good job. I will continue to dig at this and see if I can come up with any suggestions, but right now I am already VERY pleased with it!
OU812
I think we need some testing with

1. synaptic - anti has reported issues with updating the repos, while others have had success.
2. the control center - it should work, but somewhere in the forums it was noted that changing the keyboard has only a temporary effect. Also, I know of one typo that was discovered and fixed, so don't just approach the control center from a"does it work" perspective, but also from a"how well" perspective. Please look for appropriate icons, layout, functionality (add or subtract apps,etc.). anti gets the final say, though.
3. icewm - we are starting to customize it to provide a complete experience for the user, whether they choose icewm or fluxbox. It should work, except for a coulple of known bugs (see below).
4. anything and everything.

Except for synaptic, the only bugs I know are on the icewm side of things. Although, most users probably won't notice...
1. the startup file was not made executable - so conky will not launch and nitrogen probably won't be able to find the new wallpaper should one be chosen.
2. even if the startup file were made executable, it wouldn't launch because of a mistake in .xinitrc:"exec icewm" should be"exec icewm-session".

The two icewm"bugs" will be fixed in the next release. Also, some buttons will be added to the taskbar and the menu will have a slightly different layout. One final thing we are considering is having a different default wallpaper for icewm. I haven't quite figured out how to do this, but hopefully I'll have it figured out by the time 7.5 goes final.

john
dark-D
1. lxappearance in fluxbox should be deleted because is in control center under change gtk2 & icons themes
2. control center sounds better that control centre __{{emoticon}}__
3. add a pppoe.conf shortcut in control center (am i the only one using it? )
4. the icon change in lxappearance dosen't work on my antix neither the included icons neither the ones i download
5. the home icon is the same as the folder icon from 7.2 (again on my antix but i did a fresh install)
6. is there a way to add a show desktop in fluxbox because i cannot right click anyware is the programs are miximased or i have to many open
masinick
There are a few IceWM menu and feature customization tools out there. Will these be included, or are they too large in size? If we are centering on IceWM (and I think it is an excellent window manager, while editing the text config files is not that big of a deal, it can sometimes be a bit easier with a config tool, especially when you have to go to three or four config files to set everything up. Same with Fluxbox. If we could grab one for each window manager or even hack something small and simple, that would be nice for usability and simplicity.
OU812
icemc is in the repos and I use a lot to configure the menu. I have tried utilities that edit the preferences, but I like editing it by hand a little better. Whether these are included in the iso is up to anti. (See my icewm thread in the tips and tricks forum for more info on icewm tools.)

As for fluxbox, I know of a gui tool for configuration but I'm pretty sure the fluxbox site cautions against using them. Probably because their development hasn't kept pace with that of fluxbox.

I don't know why you are having problems with icons. Try copying the icon folder to /usr/share/icons/ as root and then try using lxappearance to set the icon theme.

I have also asked about a show desktop option in fluxox, but I don't think it exists. You can try shrinking the taskbar a bit - this will give you just enough space to right-click the desktop. Or try switching workspaces.

If ppoe.conf gets added to the control center, my guess is that I will add it to control center > system > edit config files.

I don't know what is meant by the home folder icons are the same?

Keep the ideas coming.

john

EDIT
I tried to add pppoe.conf option to the"edit config files" button, but I couldn't find the file. Have you tried using
control center > network > configure ppp