OU812
I found two problems with mybashburn - a cli burning tool.

1. To execute it properly, you need to set the geometry (window size). To help users with this, I have created a menu entry in icewm that will correctly launch the app. If you're curious, I use

Code: Select all

wterm -geometry 85x30 +sb -T"mybashburn" -e mybashburn
2. You will need to install the dummy package"cdrecord" from the repo. It's just a symlink, so it's only going to add a calorie or two.

I have brought this issue up with anti. I have found this app useful in the past - converting .wav to var bitrate .mp3 files and creating and burning dvd .isos. Haven't used it in a long time though.

john
mariel77
I have used rutilt on an antiX 7.01 install and it's easy to use, in case that helps any.

I'll try 7.5 when it's closer to final, but it looks like I will want to install it on my laptop. It's going to be so much easier to configure and use that it will be worth the time.
impuwat
I've noticed the apt-get problems in livecd as well. Also noticed a few redundant menu options not necessary with control centre that others have mentioned. Nothing other than that at the moment.
OU812
Which menu entries are redundant? I pretty much only use icewm now so maybe if you find redundancies you can be specific about which wm you're using? For example, I know that lxappearance is in the menu in icewm and also the control panel. Are there others? Thanks.

john
dark-D
the icons problems i all ready posted in"IceWM Theme" post. adding the icons from archive dosen't work. so i did copy the icons to /usr/share/icons. finnaly lxappearance displays the icons but when i apply them i only see the icons in the small browser when i save/open something. searching the forum i did find a post to change the icons in rox filler by entering options>types>icon themes. now it works. but not from lxappearance.

pppoe.conf looks like"configure ppp" why add it in config files? ppp is not the same as pppoe as far i can see, maybe i'm wrong. it would be nice to put pppoe.conf in control center because not anyone knows how to launch it from terminal. and i forgot pppoe.conf is in ubuntu in antix is pppoeconf. (thats why i searched 2 hours to make it work before i asked in the forum in new users section __{{emoticon}}__ ()

the home icon i see is the icon rox-svg(the book) not from black-white icons. i resolved that by changing them one by one.

what is this"whiptail"? it uses 75-80% of cpu. my cpu (p4 2ghz) stays at 100% because of this. never seen it in 7.2.
edit: after restart the cpu went to normal and whiptail out from processes.

and don't forget to change"unrar-nonfree" to"unrar" thanks danboid for finding it. now i use terminal to unrar. some day i hope i can use xarchive __{{emoticon}}__

in the control center the pictures and text as one ? like the close button or it will be annoying?
Last edited by dark-D on 04 Jul 2008, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
1. I think there is a bug in control center > system > slim. When launched, you should be in ~/Wallpaper/ but I don't think it always works. While doing a google search on a different topic, I came across what I think is the correct code. Basically I changed this line

cd /home/$(whoami)/Wallpaper/
to this line

cd /home/$USER/Wallpaper/
It should work now.

EDIT
Turns out I get the same error with the updated code - it still points to /root/Wallpaper/; don't know why it worked the first time I tried it. Anyway, I truly fixed this error by launching the app from the control center as user and requesting root's password after the background was selected.

2. Deleted lxappearance entry in icewm.

john
Last edited by OU812 on 06 Jul 2008, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
dark-D
1."change slim background" - same problem here, it opens the user folder not the wallpapers. it would be nice to have an option to set the slim background to centered or scaled.
2."choose wallpaper" - if i set an image as wallpaper let say 300X300 pixels and choose centered,tiled or best fit and the save checked/unchecked(dosen't matter) and apply after logout/login or reboot the wallpaper is set to scaled.
edit: nope it's stuck on the 300X300 image on scaled no matter what wallpaper i choose after reboot it's still the same wallpaper. i think it is the nitrogen wallpaper bug posted by OU812
3. i was playing with the Arch Linux slim theme and i made this:
i don't like round corners. __{{emoticon}}__ can you make the"change slim background" work with this? because it only works with antix slim theme
thanks 4 help
Last edited by dark-D on 04 Jul 2008, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
@ice-m - This is in the wrong place, but here goes: There are actually two steps to follow to change icons in rox.
1. The icons you see at the top of the window are gtk2 icons. They can be changed using lxappearance.
2. The icons within the window are rox icons and are controlled by rox. To change them, right-click on some empty space in the rox window. Choose options > types. You should see a drop-down menu"icon theme." Use this to choose your rox icons.

Other issues:
1. The wallpaper bug was just discovered and I've updated my scripts. We have to wait for anti to get back before I can send them to him. It should be fixed with the next test release.
2. To have slim set the background as scaled, my guess is you need to edit the file /usr/share/slim/themes/antiX/slim.theme
3. I proprosed writing a script that would actually create a new slim theme, but at the moment it is a bit beyond my skills. It would require:
a. creating a folder in /usr/share/slim/themes/ with a background, a slim panel, and a slim.theme config file.
b. It would also require editing /etc/slim.conf to point to the new theme.
So you can see how difficult some of these would be. Also, anti isn't into that idea right now.
4. It seems you're right and that I got confused. PPPoeconf is for dsl devices while it looks like pppconfig is for configuring a dial-up connection. With anti's approval, it would be easy enough to include in the control center. (BTW xxx.conf usually refers to a config file and that was a further point of confusion for me. My bad.)

john
Last edited by OU812 on 04 Jul 2008, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
masinick
I can confirm that when you boot AntiX 7.5 Test 1 Live without a read/write root partition then Synaptic will not install packages. I will try it later by loading the system 100% into RAM and see if that helps or makes any difference. We have already said that it works when the system is fully installed. Will double check that later to confirm.
OU812
I can't remember where I read this, but a user noted that there are two problems with clicking on images in rox:

1. They open in feh full screen
2. Some mime types such as .bmp aren't handled by rox/feh

I tried looking into this and there is an option to edit mime types from within rox, but I couldn't get it to work. However, the mime types are in the folder

/home/user_name/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types

So editing them by hand should be easy enough, as should adding the missing mime types. For example, for jpeg images edit the file as so

#! /bin/sh
exec feh -g 640x480"$@"
and rox will open the image using feh in a 640x480 window. I'm not saying you should have to do this, but it is something that I agree should be done for the next test release.

john
dark-D
i seams to me that in icewm the applications start quicker that in fluxbox. i think it's a 2-3 seconds delay in fluxbox. on the browser i tested it a lot and it's a delay. and on the quit/exit button when it opens i can see the expansion of the button more slowly in fluxbox. i'm done with testing this week i have a headache.
edit1: the blue line in antix fluxbox theme is still there.
edit:2 in rox-filer the"show ROX-filer help" dosen't work displays this error: Directory '/usr/share/doc/rox-filer/html' not found.
OU812
1. Fixed a small bug in the control center: Bash didn't like the & in the line
Change Gtk & Icon Themes
I tried using"&", '&', \&, and && but got errors each time. So I used"and". I don't like it as much, though.

2. Changed the way nitrogen was launched (using the control center) so that walls are shown in alphabetical order.

john
OU812
Made some minor tweaks to the layout of the icewm menu - just trying to find a way to organize it in a way that makes sense, is easy to use, and isn't overloaded with entries. Here's the main tweak:

Another possible solution is to move the"desktop" subdirectory and make it a parent directory at the top of the menu.

I'm also trying to convince anti to install the graphical menu editor"icemc" as it's small and very convenient.

john
OU812
It's funny how life goes sometimes. I fixed the problem with the slim background chooser script only to find another - how do you something as simple as:

1. If the root pwd is correct, update the background image and give a confirmation.
2. If incorrect, exit the script.

Turned out to be difficult. However, I found a way to do it using symlinks. So afaik the control center and the helper scripts are 100%.

To do:
Someone suggested adding more options or custom options to the screen resolution script. It is easier to add resolutions. But I will look into other distros and see if I can pick up some tips.

Possibly add a button under the network tab for dsl connections.

john
Acesabe
Finally get round to posting over here!!

Still lovin' AntiX - and installed it on an old 700mhz celeron (no fan) to use as file server - and all is good - apart from the one little issue with Wterm - highlighting/selecting text - white text + white highlight + invisible!! I have copied another .bashrc from a different computer to the AntiX one - still have the problem - so I had a look in the ~/.fluxbox/menu file and edited the menu entry for 'Terminal' to use grey instead of white - which is an improvement - now selected text has light grey background with white text - so is now visible. But there must be a better way - ideally any 'non-colour' text will change to black when highlighted (if you use colour text in your bashrc config - highlighting text inverts the colour) - any ideas?