anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4 wrote:Where did the B43 drivers go?
Or did I miss something new in this version?
This is the first time I have not been able to get an antiX distro working easily with my wireless Broadcom card.
The B43 directory in /lib/firmware/ is just not in this version. Ceni finds the card OK but that's as far as I can get.

Good for finding this and it will be fixed.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Well,

I just tried to connect my dell laptop that has BCM4401 ethernet, and for the first time it connected without having to go to /etc/modprobe.d and tweak the b43 stuff, so, there were some changes to the broadcom drivers and mine works here ootb.

cheers,
ohh
afab4
I just copied the b43 directory and modprobe.d from my pt1 partition to the pt2 partition and now wireless works. This is on a Dell D800 with a Broadcom BCM4309.
On to more testing.
masinick
This release has been working out really well for me. I have it, and also antiX core (upgraded from the original build) on my system and both are working really well right now!
dolphin_oracle
I've finally got home and have pt 2.0 running on my old 900 mhz AMD Duron Sony Vaio laptop, 512 mb ram. This is the best version yet for this laptop. Touchpad tapping and scrolling is working well, as is the wireless chipset. the new boot options work well. antix live still doesn't boot on usb 1.1, but my procedure for extracting the squashfs file to a neutral parition and booting from the usb key does work. In this case, i had to rename the squashfs file from ANTIX;1 to antiX before the live system would find the file, but installation was snappy. The installer correctly set my time zone. My notes on the wallpaper chooser are elsewhere. I still think the chooser needs to go back to the selection screen if you say"no" at the set prompt. I do like the new wallpapers, especially the penquin one. Its my new wallpaper!

If some of these items were fixed for pt2.5, please ignore me __{{emoticon}}__ I haven't had the chance to do pt2.5 yet.

inxi - F in case anyone needs it.

Code: Select all

root@antiX1:/home/dave# inxi -F
System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-686-pt2 22 January 2011
CPU:       Single core AMD Duron (-UP-) cache 64 KB flags (sse) bmips 1100 clocked at 550.082 MHz 
Graphics:  Card ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x X.org 1.7.7 Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio at ports 1000 1c54 1c50 BusID: 00:07.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too v: 0.9.28 at port 1800 BusID: 00:10.0
           Card-2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 15.1GB (13.0% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_DK23CA 15.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 5.9G used: 1.9G (34%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 0.56GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 88 Uptime 12 min Memory 109.8/501.6MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
wayne128
Previously I had issues with pt1, using usb flash prepared by unetbootin.

Now I have just downloaded M11 pt2 , use unetbootin to prepare USB flash.

Try on intel core i3 computer, this has a broadcom gigabit NIC.
1. Boots up from USB flash using default without issue. Now running Live USB for quick checks:
2. USB drive plugged in, unable to access, same error when trying to access internal ntfs partition.
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
Error opening '/dev/sdb1': Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Permission denied
Please check '/dev/sdb1' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,
and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged"
linktext was:"http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged"
====================================
No sure if I install to hard disk , will there be problem accessing USB drives and ntfs partition?

3. No internet, Broadcom 57788 NIC, so I tried modprobing:

Code: Select all

root@antiX1:/home/demo# modprobe -rv tg3
rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/net/phy/libphy.ko
root@antiX1:/home/demo# modprobe -v broadcom
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/net/phy/libphy.ko 
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/net/phy/broadcom.ko 
root@antiX1:/home/demo# modprobe -v tg3
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko 
and it cooperates! got internet working...using it to type this post
Now need help on how to make it persistent after I install on hard disk.

Hardware from inxi -F
demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -F
System: Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-686-pt2 22 January 2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 530 (-HT-MCP-) cache 4096 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips 11711.9
Clock Speeds: (1) 1200.00 MHz (2) 1200.00 MHz (3) 1200.00 MHz (4) 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card ATI Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 ATI Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series] driver HDA Intel BusID: 01:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card Broadcom NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver tg3 v: 3.102 BusID: 03:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 1144.3GB (2.3% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD6400AAKS 640.1GB
2: USB /dev/sdb FreeAgent_Go 500.1GB 3: USB /dev/sdc Cruzer_Blade 4.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 122K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 3.25GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 171 Uptime 19 min Memory 196.1/3032.4MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
wayne128
Try using the same USB flash prepared by unetbootin.
Boot up another computer. AMD Athlon with nVidia graphic.
No trouble with internet.
graphic default at low resolution.
So I use sgfxi to install nVidia. surprisingly smooth running, now I have running antiX M11 pt2 on this AMD computer with 1440x900 resolution.

Plug in USB stick with ntfs format. Click File Manager, good to see the USB stick appears on left panel of the File Manager, click it, opens files, all well.

Try playing media files...mp3. mp4. flv, mkv, rmbv all OK.

Success. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
wayne128
Tried USB flash on third computer, a Dell inspiron laptop with intel wireless card.
Boot up OK
try wireless set up, wicd does not work. run ceni and it works.
try plug in USB flash with ntfs format, mount using Slitaz script from antiX Control Center>Disks>Mount connected devices.. ok works.
try run all the media files as my last post, all run OK.

second success __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ /out of 3 computers

It is strange that the first computer I tried did not run with USB flash with ntfs format __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
dark-D
man i went to a cousin who has antix installed by me and had some troubles with the wallpaper new app. first of all it doesn't have any size option like scaled,centered and zoomed and he had problems with the wallpaper using high resolution photos. i spend some time to back install nitrogen, enable all the options for it and deleting the options that have feh set as the default wallpaper app. all done but on restart the wallpaper would go green i guess is something from xinitrc but i'll look in to it another time. don't want to be a party crasher but i think this will be a total trouble for the new users.
also i think conky is set to have it's own window and when i set the wallpaper the one in conky is different or if i use nitrogen with icons it doesn't work at all.
on a different note he had trouble with the touchpad too speedy. and the control center mouse app wont remember settings. i installed gpointing-device-settings to set the speed and such but it wouldn't stick, it need to have gnome-settings-daemon installed at boot to work. after that i could set the speed and it would stick but i had no tap on the touchpad. i used the solution in the forum, but now the settings for the speed are all wrong and the gpointing app wouln't see all the earlier options. need to look for a solution.
the desktop icons are not that easy to set up if you don't know what are you doing.
my cousin would complain about the browser all the time.
and the control center is like foreign language to him, he could not find anything, maybe wrong definitions of the items?

i mention his to see the point of view of a linux newbie, that is helped by a linux something __{{emoticon}}__ in this case me. i guess we should use the best alternatives and good to use by a lot of people and if some scripts or features don't work we should not use them. feel free to ignore me __{{emoticon}}__ cheers.
rich_c
I just installed M11-pt2 on a Dell Latitude CPX650J I'd got Mepis installed on and had severely messed about with. I tried a install preserving /home. For some reason I had to install GDM to allow me to login as my existing user ID. Slim would accept user ID and password but then dump me right back out to the user ID prompt again.

Next job is to get my Broadcom 4312 working. I'm currently using a wired connection... :-/
masinick
I have tested pt2 in live mode, but I have not explicitly installed it on either of my two systems, but I have repeatedly installed earlier versions (pretty much every release, and quite a few test base levels between releases) on both of these systems many times in the past.

I do have both antiX core and antiX full installed and upgraded to current packages and they are working well.

If you need specific test coverage of either the Gateway 2000 series PA6A 17" portable or the Lenovo 3000 series Y410 laptop, I would be glad to install them, though I am confident that they will work, since previous installations have worked and the latest build works in live mode.

I have, as usual, been promoting the testing to my friends and nobody has reported any issues.

Let me know how I can best be of help and I'd be glad to cover anything that has not been covered, assuming I am able to take it on.
rich_c
I got my wireless working by installing firmware-b43-installer. Ceni then connected to my router with no probs! I think I could have got SLiM working if I'd RTFM... I've seen one or two pointers toward potentially having to edit some config since I replaced it with GDM. OH well... __{{emoticon}}__