Jerry
I use KDE all the time on my desktop MEPIS, so if I can help in some way I would also be glad to--but I am decidedly not a programmer. Pretty comfortable up in userspace, though...
anticapitalista
Site Admin
No need to be a programmer (I'm not, I teach English as a foreign Language and Sociology!), just the appetite to improve/help antiX to further greatness!

There are a lot of people here on this forum (and elsewhere) that can make antiX even better than it is.

The VETËVENDOSJE! release has had more community input than previous versions of antiX. Not just in testing (much appreciated by all), but also in apps and docs.
Once again thanks to the following:

Jerry and Silverbear for the excellent FAQ.
Sakasa for the excellent wallpaper.
Impuwatt for wonderful wallpaper and fluxbox style.
Urban for his work on ceniwrapper.
OU812 for the fantastic idea and implementation of the 'antiXcc'
UnicornRider (though he isn't around anymore) for the scripts to speed up antiX, especially at boot.

and others I have forgotten.

I'm going to be very busy for the next 2 weeks with proper work, so getting something organised for a kde-lite group will take a bit of time. However, if you have the original version, and want to upgrade (remaster) it and work on it, do so and post your results in the forum.
eriefisher
I see in /usr/local/bin there is a remaster script. How does this work? Can it be used as is?

eriefisher
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You win the prize for being the first to spot and mention it. __{{emoticon}}__

It remasters an antiX/MEPIS iso file or a cd, not what is currently installed.
See here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Remastering_script"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... ing_script"
====================================

It works perfectly in what it does. Hopefully in the future the script will also be able to remaster your installed and configured antiX.

To get it to work, just type ./remaster in a terminal and follow the instructions.
eriefisher
Where do I collect the prize?

eriefisher
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You've got to search for it. It is there in antiX-M7.2.
eriefisher
I'll keep looking.

eriefisher
TLeeNorris
A Slight case of Sarcasm:

Can we really make a lite KDE? Its inheritantly heavy. I mean its a gui, clickity, easy to use desktop with a more-then-slightly heavy footprint.

---------------
A Dream I have:

An couple of ideas I would like to see with this.

I would love it if we could release a CD, like Debian, with the ability of the installer to choose the type of desktop they wish. How does that work? I have no idea, but it would be cool.

A full blown Sid Based antiX-KDE re-Masterpiece ready to roll on a DVD.

But, like I said, Its just a Dream.
----------------
IMO:

Now building this re-Masterpiece (on top of Anticapitalista's reworked antiX) seems easy enough (Use the script and apt-get you can just install away), but tweaking it, building it just right and supporting it is are totally different animals.

For example:
I have three (actually I have way more then 3 remastered project CD's ) current remastered CD's. My first attempt at remastering using the steps outlined in a post a MepisLovers and information from the Wiki was a success . I took antiX-KDE to Sid, installed the full KDE, KDE-Extras, & Desktop-base. Added all my favorite Debian Multimedia tweaks, Compiz-Fusion, changed the wallpaper and some other small KDE configuration tweaks and rebuilt the CD. I called it Sydney. Its a beauty, I am still running it today.

I then decided to try again last week. The first one was Lennified, works great except its a little sparse on packages and lacks something ( I don't know what it was). So I then took the Lennified squashfs and dist-upgraded it to Sid, and something broke. I rebuilt it, and it broke again. Now this could just have been something from that days Debian Unstable updates, but none-the-less, its an example of how it changes. and things break. Plus I have never really been able to make two of these exactly the same, something is always different.

It seems to change day to day and therein lays the problem with this idea. Unstable-ity and who has the skills to work these things out. Not me, I am only a copy & paste, trial & error master of my own domain.

-------------------
A Question to Ponder:

So, can I ask you Anticapitalista, do you won't just a tweaked, Testing KDE-Lite, or a full blown Unstable KDE Monster DVD.

And do you still won't me to be part of your dev team for antiX-kdelite? __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Personally I would prefer a tweaked testing kde-lite a bit like the original one I made, but more tweaked. ie set up with a decent wallpaper, kdm theme, etc. Then let the user build.

Now that sort of kde-lite distro is not really for new users of Linux, but for more experienced ones.

The difficulty I see with a full-blown, sid KDE antiX, is customising and maintaining it needs a lot of work and continuous work. OK for a one-off release, but not good unless people are prepared to keep it developing, and that will take a lot more time than a kde-lite.

And, yes, you're in!
eriefisher
The problem with basing on sid is that it changes minute to minute. To use sid you have to be prepared to work for it. Look at the folks over at siddux, There always real busy. My desktop box is sid and it gets updated almost daily. If I don't check it regularly the updates can get huge and then you also have the breakage issues. Broken packages are usually fixed fairly quick but it hard to take a snapshot and build an OS on it. I would stay on a stable or testing release just for piece of mind.

One thing I would love to see is a text base install like Ubuntu alternate cd or debian. This would make sense on modest machines. Vector has a nice installer and uses fdisk or cfdisk as well.

eriefisher
TLeeNorris
Here a short clip of my latest attempt. I changed the KDM login, Splashy, Kicker panel color and changed background image. These things are hard to find, but easy to change. Cool. I need a good KDE config guide.

eriefisher
Looking good. How about these.

url was:"http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/index.html"
linktext was:"http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdeb ... index.html"

url was:"http://techbase.kde.org/SysAdmin"
linktext was:"http://techbase.kde.org/SysAdmin"

eriefisher
TLeeNorris
Thanks Erie.. thats a lot of reading there. I can't find what I am looking for (a roadmap of where the configs files are) more reading to do I guess.
TLeeNorris
Any ideas for changes?

I think a lot of people are using this version of antiX-kdelite or they have added KDE to the base .iso at least. Its a great launch pad for sure.
eriefisher
Really, how do you make KDE truly light? You could use lighter packages but they wouldn't be KDE. Most light weight packages are GTK. What kind of plan do you have in mind? Is there some type guide lines you want to follow?