secipolla
Pedro, from the x11-common package description:
"A number of terms are used to refer to the X Window System, including"X","X Version 11","X11","X11R6", and"X11R7". The version of X used in Debian is derived from the version released by the X.Org Foundation, and is thus often also referred to as"X.Org". All of the preceding quoted terms are functionally interchangeable in an Debian system."

Maybe it would be a large package but maybe you would need xorg-dev.

Regarding anti's sample of a minimal graphical system, I'll try to make it more clear:
- first there's no need to install xorg. xserver-xorg is a more basic package and will most probably be installed when calling for the installation of a window manager (xorg includes the large libgl1-mesa-dri package which gives more advanced video support in open source drivers for intel and ATI cards).
- choices of light and easy to use window managers, even for first timers: fluxbox, icewm, jwm, openbox and for even lighter ones, twm and wmii among others.
- alsa-base is needed for sound.*after installing it, open alsamixer and unmute all channels by selcting them and hitting 'm'.
Last edited by secipolla on 06 Jul 2010, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you install fluxbox, xserver-xorg does not get installed. But you are right, xserver-xorg is enough for old boxes, but you'll also need to install xinit.

Edit: and you'll also need to install a terminal such as xterm or rxvt-unicode
secipolla
Yep, these details regarding X tools are according with each particular choice.
Like I assumed that someone would opt for slim, then xterm comes with it and there wouldn't be a need for xinit.

I'm using xdm now.

In the current state of antiX/Debian testing I suggest that antiX-core comes in two different kernel versions: one with the Debian one and one with a Liquorix one.
I don't know which version of the Liquorix would be best. The latest stable one?
Maybe you could ask damentz his opinion on that. Like the later versions should have been perfected by him but then maybe he could point some regression if it exists.
The Debian kernel is i386?

---

When I installed in the HD I didn't see the choice for antiX-base and antiX-full like in the first version I installed in VirtualBox. I'm saying so because I looked into cli-installer and saw that choice in there and also noticed that there were some things in between double quotes and others in between single quotes.
The installer suggested it would be better to delete and re-create a partition with cfdisk but cfdisk didn't work, maybe because my partition arrangement is messed up after a lot of messing with (most of the partitions are inside an extended one); Gparted doesn't complain about nothing. Then I simply chose to install in a certain partition (in my case sda9) and it installed fine.

As I said, I had to install console-setup-mini for my keymap to work in console. There was an error message at boot time that may be related to that (note: when booting with the default en_US option no error messages show up):

Code: Select all

Problem when loading /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz, use install-keymap... (warning)
secipolla
secipolla
anti, you forgot old plugins inside /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. And they're the old mplayer-plugins that don't even work :p

I even opened a bug report against mozilla-plugin-vlc because of that but it was for good since this package didn't work and I was pushed to open the bug after all and send the data to the developer.

I noticed a /root/.fehrc file too, pretty harmless but watch out with files that may have been left behind.
masinick
Good catches on residual configuration files!
secipolla
anti, sorry for the confusion, but I installed Debian netinstall today in VB and it sets UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS. I must have set it differently myself in my Sid because of me having a Win2K here too.

The netinstall, besides taking some time to install (it downloads the updated packages), occupies much more space than antiX core but gets everything right, right out-of-the-box. I mean one gets only the desired locale and proper configuration.

I don't know what's missing in antiX that it doesn't configure properly the keyboard in console. I remastered the iso with console-setup-mini included but that didn't make any difference. I suspect that's the live-cd boot script that may be messing something.
dpkg-reconfigure console-data gives that keysym out-of-range error like in
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570223"
linktext was:"http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570223"
====================================
and one can only set the keyboard properly with loadkeys.
Maybe the linuxrc (inside initrd.gz) file deleting /etc/console-setup contents is to blame?
masinick
I am going to give core a try today. I'll let you know how it turns out for me, and I will specifically work with the CLI installer as originally suggested.
masinick
I had no problems installing the image of antiX core, but I had huge problems configuring it. The killer was that the networking could not be started. Other issues: no avahi account, no haldaemon account, no stb-admin group, and possibly the reason for no networking, no link to the correct run script in the /etc/resolvconf subdirectory.

Let me review this thread to see if any of these issues have been discussed or not, and do some more research.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
secipolla I think I have fixed the keyboard in console.

masinick - antiX-core has no firmware installed so it onlt is useful at the moment for those with eth wired connection.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:
masinick - antiX-core has no firmware installed so it. lt is useful at the moment for those with wired connection.
I don't know what my issue was, I wasn't attempting to run wireless. I may give it another shot when I finish up testing some other stuff. I was wired and I could not establish any connection to update anything, even though I also had a working copy of antiX on another partition of the same equipment. When I free up a partition to test it out, I'll give it another try.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Check that /etc/network/interfaces is correct. Default points to eth0.

Try dhclient eth0/eth1/ath0 etc as root.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:Check that /etc/network/interfaces is correct. Default points to eth0.

Try dhclient eth0/eth1/ath0 etc as root.
anti, I gave core a try again today and had problems again, same exact thing. So I decided to keep the partition mounted and come in with a working system to compare the files:

On sidux, /etc/network/interfaces contains:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface default inet dhcp

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-psk A-Creative-Mas-Password
        wpa-ssid My-Wireless
On antiX-core, the same file contains:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
#

#mapping hotplug
#script echo

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
I therefore do not see anything wrong with the interfaces file. However, when I look in the rc.d files, for example, in /etc/rc3.d, neither the cron nor the dbus procedures have active links to anything; that is, their procedures in /etc/init.d. When I investigate in /etc/init.d/, I find that there is a procedure (and I believe that it is a fairly new one), upstart-job, which shows its path as /lib/init/upstart-job, is missing, and this affects not only starting the network, but starting at least 3/4 of the init services (or more). In any case, it sure does not work for me; it boots and that is about it.

I'm kind of bummed out. I usually have great results with my antiX builds, and in fact, I've been playing around with both the base and the full versions of antiX M8.5 on my two laptops a lot recently. Just can't seem to get antiX-core A1 to do anything other than install. The cli-installer does appear to push stuff onto the system, but at least for me, some key things to help get it up are missing - and that upstart-job seems to be one of the missing cogs. Either the init procedures need to point to something else that is actually present and functional or the upstart-job procedure needs to be included in the core.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If running from live, remobe the mean and nohal cheats at boot grub.

mean turns off dhclient and nohal turns off hal and dbus.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:If running from live, remobe the mean and nohal cheats at boot grub.

mean turns off dhclient and nohal turns off hal and dbus.
Thanks anti! I thought that maybe some of those lean and mean arguments on the boot line may affect the way things run. I knocked a few of them off the boot line, but apparently not the right ones. I will give it a try again. Thought I had removed nohal, but maybe not. I will try again. Thanks for the explanation!
masinick
Anti, your suggestions got me in just fine now. I've just built myself the beginnings of a customized XFCE based distribution on the antiX core. It was fast and really easy to build. I also added in LXDE just for fun. Now to tailor it and give it a distinctive appearance. Once I got past the CD booting options everything went very rapidly after that. Good job with this!