Dave
General information:
I have the antiX repository up and working again, it does not have as much in it as the first time as the first time where just general packages. As I have said before I am working on putting together a proper repository that has all the applications packaged individually. Currently there are 4 of the packages that I have finished in the repository. I wish to have the wallpaper app in here as quickly as possible, there are scripts that the wallpaper app as well as some updated apps rely on.
Repository
deb
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs"
linktext was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs"
====================================
wheezy main
Apps in the repository
add-desktop-antix_1.5.0_all.deb (includes the adddesktop.sh app, and a desktop launcher found in /usr/share/applications/antix)
add-start-antix_1.5.0_all.deb
menu-fluxbox-antix_1.5.0_all.deb (includes the menu update, auto update and now a icon theme changing script, the theme changing script is more for
menu-icewm-antix_1.5.0_all.deb installation, but is included for afterward. Also includes desktop launchers in the antix folder)
add-start relies on the same scripts that wallpaper app needs, so do not install this for now. The rest are free to install for those that wish to try it out.

EDIT
forgot to mention they should all be changed over to yad as well, zenity should no longer be a depend.
also added:
advert-block-antix
exit-antix
manage-slim-antix
screenshot-antix
gtkdialog
Last edited by Dave on 05 Sep 2011, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Good work Dave. I'll test them out over the next few days.
rokytnji
anticapitalista wrote:Good work Dave. I'll test them out over the next few days.
Me also, though hungover __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
Hi Dave,
Dave wrote:...I have the antiX repository up and working again...
This is welcome news although as a newcomer to antiX I'm not clear on the significance of the differences between the the former and current version. Also I'm not sure about your longer term plans for the repository but would like to throw in an idea for discussion. It is quite raw and unfinished but superficially seems to have some merit.

There are some posts in the forum which discuss:
  • * The desire to keep antiX-Full within 700MB to fit a CD-ROM
    * What to include and what to leave out of the Full ISO
    * How to obtain antiX specific updates
The (re)introduction of the repository might offer an opportunity to help with these matters.

The idea is probably best described by an outline scenario. For the purpose of this scenario I will refer to an antiX ISO named, antix-common.iso simply to avoid confusion with any that currently exist.

antix-common.iso will be a small ISO containing all the antiX software that is common to every flavour of the current version of the distro. Additionally it will include sufficient apps to install antiX, and enable the installed system to get online following a reboot.

The rebooted local machine will display a screen (possibly a web page) offering installation options. These options will be anything from a single check-box to install the full antiX-M11 to manually selecting a check-box for a sub-set or single app. One possible format for the installation page might be to structure it following the design of the antiX WM menu and look something like:

Code: Select all

Installation Options
[] antiX-M11
   [] Applications
      [] Accessories
         [] Advert Blocker
         [] Archive Manager
         [] ...

[] Games
         [] DOSBox Emulator
         [] ...

[] ...

[] Preferences
         [] ADSL/PPPOE Configuration
         [] AntiX-add-key
         [] AntiX-add-start
         [] ...
   [] Terminal Apps
      [] Office
         [] Slides
         [] ...

[] Multimedia
         [] Music Player
         [] ...

[] Network
         [] Irissi Chat
         [] ...
The choices made will simply construct a local list to be used by a locally running instance of apt-get. Packages will be brought from the usual repositories.

The antiX repository will be included in the apt sources.list of the local machine. Anything available from the existing repositories will not be duplicated in the antiX repo. It will hold only antiX specific configuration files, antiX specific updates, and packages that are not available in the usual repos e.g. Wallpaper-app, XMMS, etc.

The way this will work is, when application X is selected it will be obtained from say the testing repo but if it requires an antiX specific configuration file Y this will be obtained from the antiX repo. In this way the traffic to the antiX repo will be minimized.

Outcome
  • The constaint of what to include or exclude from 700MB CD-ROM is no longer an issue.

antix-common.iso effectively sets up an installation platform.

The antiX devs remain able to specify what they consider is the preferred and full suite of each version of the distro.

A user is able build an installation which suits them, knowing that where appropriate the official antiX configuration will also be applied.

Installing and removing software via synaptic, apt-get etc are unaffected and are used in the normal manner.

The above are obtained in addition to the present benefits of having your antiX repository.
As mentioned at the outset this is all very rough and ready and is probably for tomorrow rather than today. It will need lots of polishing but is offered as a concept for discussion by the antiX community.
masinick
SamK, I really like your ideas, and I hope I will have the time and the means to work with you and test out your ideas as they progress. One of my roles in the antiX project has been to be both an informal tester and an informal promoter of antiX projects and distributions. I have managed to evangelize to a number of my friends in various forums and I've gotten several of them to try antiX when they'd never heard of it previously. I also talked a few writers into reviewing it, and I've written several of my own positive reviews on my own blogs and forums. Finally, I have encouraged a few developers (Jason Hsu with Swift Linux comes to mind) to use their own creativity and the flexibility inherent in antiX to create various different spins and respins, based on the technology found in antiX, and I've created several of my own experimental antiX core distributions, not for redistribution, but for personal use. I have gotten a lot of use and pleasure out of antiX, and this forum, for the past five years or more, has always been a very civil, respectful place to exchange ideas and promote personal creativity, so I am delighted to see what you are doing here!
Dave
Update, more apps have been packaged and added to the repository. There are a few more to go and all of them"should" be packaged. I am not sure about all of the dependencies that exist. My plan is to finish packaging the apps with them not being depends of each other. Once all the main depends are resolved, then the antix apps will be set as depends. A install from core will then be made, and if all the packages are working with no more than an apt-get install PACKAGE, they will be released as version 2.0.0 and"stable"

NEW PACKAGES
keyboard-cc-antix
live-usb-antix
mount-devices-antix
mouse-cc-antix
rox-apps-antix
system-antix
user-management-antix

@SamK
I to agree with masinick. I like these ideas and it is where I have been planning on going. Currently we are working on your third point"How to obtain antiX specific updates", but it is my hope to have an installer that will allow you to build your system (from core) with all of the antix apps. (X server is installed, but no window manager or login manager, it only boots to the installer in an Xsession) I am still working on an graphical installer for antix, which will install it as it normally does. However, I am looking into an"extra" applications installer (like the meta package installer) which will allow you to install extras like libre office. This installer will have a place left for"building" your own system, but it will not be in the first release. This is my hope, but this will not be for a while, as it is alot to do in your spare time / while you are learning.