BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote: I'm attaching a log file for cli-aptiX.   The initial request for an apt-get update goes into an endless loop unless you just get tired and say"N" at some point.  Looking at the log file, it looks to me like maybe the counts for the list files aren't going as expected.

I'm sure this worked before...I really like cli-aptiX.  The update from the regular menu entry seems to work without that error (which I think doesn't do the check maybe).
I could not replicate this problem on an unmodified rc1 from Oct 6th.  The code I wrote to check if an update is needed was heuristic, created with trial and error.   I couldn't find any written documentation that links entries in the source files to files under /var/lib/apt/lists.   If you send me a tarball of your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ then I will try to figure out what is going on.  If there is documentation somewhere that links source file entries to the files that get created under /var/lib/apt/lists/ then that would be brilliant.  The rules I figured out are a little wacky.   It's clear the program didn't handle"[arch=amd64]" in one of your files correctly.

It is strange that the log file says that all of the list files are missing.  Maybe something else is wrong.  If I find no files then I don't offer to let you bypass this check because that indicates there is no internet connection.

PS:  Just read your post.  That's all I need (I think).  Thanks!
eugen-b
I tried the persistent USB stick with antiX-17.rc_386 on a 64bit UEFI machine. I selected the UEFI on the stick from F8 boot device selection, there I tried all entries but none of them got me my persisten system. Is it by design?
I will try the MBR of the stick next time I test.
Otherwise everything worked aas intended from a superficial test.

Edit: You see I'm an antiX n00b. I tried with UEFI boot of the live USB and the default entry was the one with text menu where I was able to select my persist_all. I also selected toram and save the choice - will see if it has been saved on reboot. The persistence and toram work, I see the modified desktop and df shows

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
overlay         1.2G  1.3M  1.2G   1% /
/dev/loop1      1.4G   30M  1.3G   3% /home
tmpfs            10M     0   10M   0% /media
tmpfs           227M  760K  227M   1% /run
tmpfs            10M  5.0M  5.1M  50% /live
devtmpfs        1.2G  4.0K  1.2G   1% /dev
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           2.2G   18M  2.2G   1% /run/shm

demo@antix1:~
$ inxi -Fxxxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0
           Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 dm: slim
           Distro: antiX-17.rc1_386-full Heather Heyer 6 October 2017
Machine:   Device: desktop System: ASUS product: All Series serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: AM1I-A v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 0801 date: 03/10/2016
CPU:       Quad core AMD Athlon 5370 APU with Radeon R3 (-MCP-) 
           arch: Jaguar rev.1 cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 17598
           clock speeds: min/max: 800/2200 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 2200 MHz
           4: 1500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini [Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0 chip-ID: 1002:9830
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp, LLVM 3.9.1)
           version: 4.3 Mesa 13.0.6 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1022:780d
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1 chip-ID: 1002:9840
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Ralink RT5572 Wireless Adapter
           driver: rt2800usb v: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 001-003 chip-ID: 148f:5572
           IF: wlxbc307e09b613 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 664.2GB (3.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: LITEONIT_LSS size: 32.0GB serial: <filter>
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST500LM012_HN size: 500.1GB serial: <filter>
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: SAMSUNG_MZHPU128 size: 128.0GB serial: <filter>
           ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: UDisk size: 4.0GB serial: <filter>
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.2G used: 1.3M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: /home size: 1.4G used: 30M (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/loop1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 9.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 27.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 27.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 175 Uptime: 23 min Memory: 549.0/2267.5MB
           Init: SysVinit v: 2.88 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.40 
Hm, the IceWM  is a bit laggy on my AMD Machine. Firefox takes long to show the forum. It is maybe because the OS is 32bit.

Edit2: No, there is no UEFI entry for a saved boot menu. But hey, is antiX meant for UEFI machines?
skidoo
The choice made via console-width-select should span consoles and should be sticky in installed systems [...] but not live.
aw, geez, I've been wrestling with console-font-select.
I noticed -width- tonight when reviewing posts in this thread.
Yah. Testing that, I find it works ~~ and, in live session, works even better than advertised !
Last edited by skidoo on 13 Oct 2017, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
After the switch to tapatalk, I can't find a way to directly show the relevant post
The first line with each post, e.g.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 pm #24

is a hyperlink anchor. You can right-click and"Copy Link Location" then paste it into a reply, between |url|/url| squaretags
BitJam
eugen-b wrote:Edit: You see I'm an antiX n00b. I tried with UEFI boot of the live USB and the default entry was the one with text menu where I was able to select my persist_all. I also selected toram and save the choice - will see if it has been saved on reboot. The persistence and toram work, I see the modified desktop and df shows

Edit2: No, there is no UEFI entry for a saved boot menu. But hey, is antiX meant for UEFI machines?
Thanks for trying.  I'm glad you got some of it to work.  The antiX live-usb is indeed meant to be used on UEFI machines, both 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI.  I've fixed a problem with UEFI + save and I think the fix made it into rc1.  I'm not sure what you mean by: "there is no UEFI entry for a saved boot menu".  The UEFI save feature seems to be working here.  A"Custom" entry shows up in the grub menu on the next boot  In addition,  the settings get added to the"Customize" entry as well so you can easily make further modifications.   Did you use live-usb-maker to make the live-usb?   Some of these special features are tricky and will only work on a live-usb-maker live-usb.
eugen-b
BitJam wrote:
eugen-b wrote:Edit: You see I'm an antiX n00b. I tried with UEFI boot of the live USB and the default entry was the one with text menu where I was able to select my persist_all. I also selected toram and save the choice - will see if it has been saved on reboot. The persistence and toram work, I see the modified desktop and df shows

Thanks for trying.  I'm glad you got some of it to work.  The antiX live-usb is indeed meant to be used on UEFI machines, both 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI.  I've fixed a problem with UEFI + save and I think the fix made it into rc1.  I'm not sure what you mean by: "there is no UEFI entry for a saved boot menu".  The UEFI save feature seems to be working here.  A"Custom" entry shows up in the grub menu on the next boot  In addition,  the settings get added to the"Customize" entry as well so you can easily make further modifications.   Did you use live-usb-maker to make the live-usb?   Some of these special features are tricky and will only work on a live-usb-maker live-usb.
Yes, I used live-usb-maker-gui. The live USB is with a i368 ISO and gives me no saved UEFI boot menu entry. This might be because I initialised it on a 32bit legacy BIOS machine. I get a custom boot menu entry with MX 17 x64 alpha4. I hope to find time to test a x64 antiX live USB on the UEFI machine.
BitJam
I still don't know what you mean by"saved UEFI boot menu entry".   No matter what it is, it is not likely to show up if you can't boot via UEFI.   I attached a screen shot showing the live UEFI boot menu after I previously booted using UEFI and used the"save" text menu.   There should be no change to the legacy boot loader when you do this, only the UEFI bootloader is affected.

If you can't or don't boot via UEFI then you want see this, you will only see the legacy bootloader which has its own save feature.

I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding you.  It seems I spend so much time talking with computers, I've lost the ability to understand fellow humans.
eugen-b
I don't have the boot menu in fromt of me, therefore I have difficulties to tell you what I mean. It would be the entry"Custom <arch> (<date>)". I don't have it when I boot a 32bit live USB on a 64bit UEFI system. (I will recheck immediately if it is still the case, maybe I remember it wrong.)

Edit: I rechecked, I booted the 32bit live USB in UEFI mode, selected"antiX-17* Customize Boot (text menus)", rebooted while having saved the changes to the persistence, gpt no"Custom ..." menu entry, selected the first entry and from the previous boot I only got the space-jwm setting carried over.
eugen-b
This is very strange, I created a persistent live USB with 64bit antiX-17.rc1 and I have the same UEFI boot behaviour. No"Custom..." entry after having customiyed the boot options. Maybe I will try with CLI live-usb-maker.
Edit: Same with  CLI live-usb-maker. No"Custom" entry.
BitJam
I just tested it  again with a fresh live-usb made from antiX-17.rc1_x64-full.iso and again it works here.   As I said before, it doesn't work on earlier versions.  I am going to move on to other things.    Note the"F8 Save" menu in the legacy boot loader does not affect the UEFI boot loader and the"save" text menu does not affect the legacy bootloader.

BTW: the live-usb-maker-gui program calls live-usb-maker so there should be no difference what they do.  But there are more options in the cli version.
BitJam
@skidoo, I sent you a PM on the MX forums so we can try to track down and fix your remaining console font size problem.   I would really appreciate your help.
eugen-b
BitJam wrote: I just tested it  again with a fresh live-usb made from antiX-17.rc1_x64-full.iso and again it works here.   As I said before, it doesn't work on earlier versions.  I am going to move on to other things.    Note the"F8 Save" menu in the legacy boot loader does not affect the UEFI boot loader and the"save" text menu does not affect the legacy bootloader.

BTW: the live-usb-maker-gui program calls live-usb-maker so there should be no difference what they do.  But there are more options in the cli version.
I was careful to customize when booted in UEFI mode and reboot in UEFI mode, too.
I wrote on MX forum that live-usb-maker-gui on antiX 17.rc1 live USB told me that the device is too small for the MX ISO, but live-usb-maker worked flawlessly and I also got the UEFI boot"Custom" entry after having customized the UEFI boot.
Indeed, the issue should at be confirmed by s.o. else. The only thing I can think of the I should partition the USB before I use live-usb-maker to take care that it has an MSDOS partition table.
BitJam
eugen-b wrote:I was careful to customize when booted in UEFI mode and reboot in UEFI mode, too.
I wrote on MX forum that live-usb-maker-gui on antiX 17.rc1 live USB told me that the device is too small for the MX ISO,
That issue should be resolved now for the next release.  Thank you for pointing it out.
but live-usb-maker worked flawlessly and I also got the UEFI boot"Custom" entry after having customized the UEFI boot.
That sounds like it is working.  Since this only got fixed in rc1, if you were testing with pre-rc1 or earlier then you would have seen the problem.  I guess it is also possible that the problem exists in 386 but not x64.
The only thing I can think of the I should partition the USB before I use live-usb-maker to take care that it has an MSDOS partition table.
That will not help.  The first thing live-usb-maker does is clear out all existing partition tables.   In fact, if you want to be sure there are no partitions tables left on /dev/sdd then you can run this command:

sudo live-usb-maker partition-clear -t /dev/sdd
That option is also available in the main menu of live-usb-maker.

I will make an antiX-17.rc1_386 live-usb and make sure UEFI + save works.
skidoo
A longstanding bug which has been present across antiX versions:
lxterminal PATH env var winds up redundantly populated with prefixed .:
Although this screenshot shows only(!) 2 .: .:
during recent testing I've seen as many as 8 .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

clues:
"root terminal" is not affected
env in console is not affected
lilyterm (i installed to test) is similarly affected
urxvt is similarly affected {whoa! ima grab another screenshot} and, at the moment, contains six prepended .:

past discussions:

"Error due dot on $PATH variable env"

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=16&t=6114&p=44484&hilit=path#p44484"
linktext was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=16&t=6114&p=44484&hilit=path#p44484"
====================================

"cwd in $PATH, really?"

url was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=16&t=6684&p=48983&hilit=path#p48983"
linktext was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=16&t=6684&p=48983&hilit=path#p48983"

"Current directory in users default PATH"

url was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=53&t=6417&p=47108&hilit=path#p47108"
linktext was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=53&t=6417&p=47108&hilit=path#p47108"

Sun Jun 19, 2016
   lorijan:

When I am logging in like normal desktop user, I have the current directory in my PATH variable three times.
   I tracked down the session start up and find, that the 4. line In the /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/lib-desktop-session.sh file contains
   PATH=.:$PATH
   If I comment out this line, the PATH will be nice again , and everything seems to work normally.
BitJam
@eugene-b, I tested starting with the antiX-17.rc1_386 iso and UEFI + save still worked.    I don't know why it doesn't work for you.   Sorry.