Shay
Booted the stick again and wicd logged into the router again.
Again, have that not happened before except with persistence.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-16-a1_386-full Berta Cáceres 14 March 2016
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite A505D v: PSAQ0U-00C002
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC
           Bios: Insyde v: 1.40 date: 06/08/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion X2 Mobile RM-72 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 8396
           clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 1050 MHz 2: 2100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780MC [Mobility Radeon HD 3100]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8192E/RTL8192SE Wireless LAN Controller
           driver: rtl819xE port: 6000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 152.0GB (10.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: CT120BX100SSD1 size: 120.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.6G used: 2.5M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 15.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.8C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 138.8/3283.0MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.31 
Looking good with my Toshiba products. Dell, my favorite lapwarmer, not so good.
Shay
Installed it and the wireless now has the power that it did not have in MX. NICE to be able to use it again with this laptop.

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix16 Kernel: 4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-16-a1_386-full Berta Cáceres 14 March 2016
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite A505D v: PSAQ0U-00C002
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC
           Bios: Insyde v: 1.40 date: 06/08/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion X2 Mobile RM-72 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 8396
           clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 1050 MHz 2: 1050 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780MC [Mobility Radeon HD 3100]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8192E/RTL8192SE Wireless LAN Controller
           driver: rtl819xE port: 6000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (14.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: CT120BX100SSD1 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 96G used: 2.5G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 15.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 60.8C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 123.9/3283.0MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.35
I have NO idea why, but with MX15, I could not use the wireless when posting to the internet, but now I can.
Looking overall like a winner.
eugen-b
Booted live USB once again on the same MSI Nettop in order to install to HDD.
- This time the internal SD card reader was detected, wondering why. __{{emoticon}}__
- Installing went smooth, some nice additions to the installer from MX like time format. Didn't check the German locale of the installer. One issue: if I choose not to format the partition I get an error with btrfs. I mean, it's an option which makes sense, but isn't critical as long as you don't support installing into subvolumes but only into partitions.
- AntiX Control Center seems improved visually and technically. Hardware info with a selection of different cryptic commands. Setting keyboard layout worked fine. Ceni worked after modprobe b43.
- The changes from live CD were carried over to the install, apart from modprobe b43.
- I disabled many services with the installer like cups, sane, ssh, avahi, which worked.
- I chose not to install a bootloader and it worked. Ran update-grub on the other OS.
- After the install I booted without having edited fstab and found out that it had only a /dev/sdb6 entry. I know you told me you wrote a script for MX15 to write UUID into fstab. But this is most likely a work in progress.
- Also I ask to blacklist pcspkr by default to avoid ugly beep sounds from wrong keyboard input or shutdown.
eugen-b
- I needed to comment out blacklist b43 in etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sth.conf
- I was able to remove iceweasel and install palemoon-atom. It is great that MX repo is there by default! Should be communicated in the future announcements.
- Add rules for some frequently used windows to appear top left, top right, etc. on JWM, so that the real estate is used better. They appear aomewhat erratically.
masinick
I hope that I can get some time to give this test release a whirl. Past releases have worked well. I have three systems where I can potentially test - two of them older models (2007-2009): Gateway 2000 17" PA6A portable (hesitate to call it a 'laptop'), Lenovo 3000 Y410. The Gateway uses the Broadcom 4311 wireless interface, so it's a good test for that; the Lenovo has an Intel 3945 wireless interface. Both are 32 bit systems.

I have a newer Dell Inspiron 5558 that I have MX-15 and antiX 15 installed on currently and they work.

If time permits, I'll test as many of these as I can make time to do. The good news is that past releases have always worked, so I'll be looking for regressions in hardware support and offer any constructive thoughts that arise - and as always, promote the great work that takes place!
eugen-b
- Problems with b43 persist. I need to run sudo modprobe b43 after each boot. No idea how to make it persist, I uninstalled broadcom-dkms-sta. Do I need to uninstall s.th. else? Do I need to install mx-broadcom-manager?
- I needed to create a link to palemoon-atom.desktop in /usr/share/desktop-defaults, because the Web Browser in menu didn't work. What is it all about these desktop-defaults-run commands? How do they get created? Why did uninstalling iceweasel not update desktop-defaults-run -b? Probably another work in prograss...
dolphin_oracle
you can change desktop-defaults in control center > preferred applications.

likely you need to unblacklist ssb and bcma. these will get loaded with a manual modprobe, but not at reboot.
eugen-b
dolphin_oracle wrote:you can change desktop-defaults in control center > preferred applications.
If this is just antiX app, could the devs mention in desktop-defaults-run --help that it is set by CC -> Preferred applications?
dolphin_oracle wrote: likely you need to unblacklist ssb and bcma. these will get loaded with a manual modprobe, but not at reboot.
Thanks for that, it worked. I see now in boot messages that b43 is being found and connection established.
My custom broadcom-sta-dkms.conf now looks like this

# wl module from Broadcom conflicts with the following modules:
#blacklist b43
#blacklist b43legacy
blacklist b44
#blacklist bcma
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist brcmsmac
#blacklist ssb
eugen-b
I got a screen corruption and crash, maybe because of overheated GPU (3.5" HDD is an additional heat source), or my xorg.conf might be bad for xorg 1.16.4

Section"Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver     "intel"
    BusID      "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option     "AccelMethod""sna"
    Option     "DRI"   "3"
    Option     "TearFree""true"
EndSection
DRI3 might be unavailable, right? I see only dri2 in Xorg.0.log. I installed compton and added it to startup, let's see if it happens again.
dolphin_oracle
eugen-b wrote:I got a screen corruption and crash, maybe because of overheated GPU (3.5" HDD is an additional heat source), or my xorg.conf might be bad for xorg 1.16.4

Section"Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver     "intel"
    BusID      "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option     "AccelMethod""sna"
    Option     "DRI"   "3"
    Option     "TearFree""true"
EndSection
DRI3 might be unavailable, right? I see only dri2 in Xorg.0.log. I installed compton and added it to startup, let's see if it happens again.
are you running on the atom-processor system you posted earlier with the intel 945G chipset? DRI 2.1 is as good as it gets with that part, the intel drivers for linux do not support higher. Also,"sna" for acceleration method shouldn't be doing anything as that part is older than sandy-bridge (uxa I think is the standard for that generation).

In short, I'm not sure your xorg.conf is doing anything, and can probably be safely removed. Although I'm not sure about the"TearFree" option.
eugen-b
One more idea: I like to get the logout dialog with Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I cannot navigate with arrow keys between its buttons. A feature which is nice to have.
eugen-b
dolphin_oracle wrote: are you running on the atom-processor system you posted earlier with the intel 945G chipset? DRI 2.1 is as good as it gets with that part, the intel drivers for linux do not support higher. Also,"sna" for acceleration method shouldn't be doing anything as that part is older than sandy-bridge (uxa I think is the standard for that generation).

In short, I'm not sure your xorg.conf is doing anything, and can probably be safely removed. Although I'm not sure about the"TearFree" option.
Yeah, the same MSI nettop with Atom 230.
You are probably right, but on Manjaro I need DRI3 otherwise I get such crashes.
"TearFree" can be used with"sna" only, but my machine works with"uxa" as well.
eugen-b
eugen-b wrote:One more idea: I like to get the logout dialog with Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I cannot navigate with arrow keys between its buttons. A feature which is nice to have.
Wrong, I can navigate with arrow keys in the logout dialog, but it isn't visible enough. Some highlighting would help.

Another point: I hate rounded window corners. How do I disable them in JWM? If you don't know, I will look in JWM documentation, no problem. It is
<Corner>0</Corner>
default is 4.
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml#window"
linktext was:"http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml#window"
====================================

The text colour of inactive window titles is also in these files, it is #aaaaaa, I replaced it by white.
Last edited by eugen-b on 17 Mar 2016, 20:28, edited 3 times in total.
dolphin_oracle
eugen-b wrote:
eugen-b wrote:One more idea: I like to get the logout dialog with Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I cannot navigate with arrow keys between its buttons. A feature which is nice to have.
Wrong, I can navigate with arrow keys in the logout dialog, but it isn't visible enough. Some highlighting would help.

I'm glad you found that. the color has always been tough in the exit dialog highlights. changing themes helps but ideally it should be visible by default.
masinick
I am downloading the antiX-16-a1_386-full.iso image now. I'll put it on a USB and try it out - I'm using antiX 15 on the Inspiron 5558 at the moment, so I'll start there.
masinick wrote:I hope that I can get some time to give this test release a whirl. Past releases have worked well. I have three systems where I can potentially test - two of them older models (2007-2009): Gateway 2000 17" PA6A portable (hesitate to call it a 'laptop'), Lenovo 3000 Y410. The Gateway uses the Broadcom 4311 wireless interface, so it's a good test for that; the Lenovo has an Intel 3945 wireless interface. Both are 32 bit systems.

I have a newer Dell Inspiron 5558 that I have MX-15 and antiX 15 installed on currently and they work.

If time permits, I'll test as many of these as I can make time to do. The good news is that past releases have always worked, so I'll be looking for regressions in hardware support and offer any constructive thoughts that arise - and as always, promote the great work that takes place!