masinick
I have not downloaded the latest ISO images, but I have been regularly checking in and updating the software; I did so last night, so my system ought to be up to the latest bits. Whenever I've used it, antiX has worked well, without issues, throughout the testing process, including after the most recent updates.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Could users with intel, readeon or nvidia graphics play with the F4 boot options. The default 'none' will boot to a safe vga desktop.
Try using the modeset option and let us know if it boots ok and if the resolution is ok. Post inxi -G so we can see if the driver got loaded or not.
Thanks.
dolphin_oracle
on my eeepc (intel graphics) the F4 option worked well. I set modeset as the"none" didn't boot X. I will post the inxi -G log tonight when I get home, but I did verify that"intel" was shown as loaded.
nadir
Posts 0
nadir
BitJam wrote:
nadir wrote:I am not sure why that matters. Isn't the point of using Unetbootin that it will use any dev? I never had to tell unetbootin if card or stick is sdc or sdb or sdd or whatever.
As I tried to explain to RC, the error message you got with the option to poweroff or reboot is a message I wrote. That means I am the one who will have to fix the problem. Unetbootin did its job but then I dropped the ball.
I never experienced a stick or card being called anything but /dev/sd*, hence couldn't even think of it
Some SDcards show up as /dev/mmcblk*. If SDcards plugged into your internal reader were assigned to a device name like this then my program would not have searched them to find the /antiX/linuxfs file.
Check done. /dev/sdb
Well that's too bad. I was hoping that by simply adding /dev/mmcblk* to the list of devices I check would fix the problem.

Ah, I have a guess as to what is wrong. I bet the internal SDcard reader is not on a usb bus. By default we only check usb devices and cdroms and dvds. This prevents us from mounting all the internal hard drive partitions looking for the /antiX/linuxfs file. All that mouting is very rude IMO because it can screw up the last-mount times since we don't have a working clock so early in the boot process. If there are other installs on those partitions then the screwed up last-mount times can cause a bunch of spurious error messages when booting those other installs.

If you add the boot parameter"from=hd" then we will look at internal drives. Give that a try. If you want us to check everywhere, use either"from=all" or"from=usb,hd,cd".

Whether that works or not, assuming an SDcard plugged into the internal reader is /dev/sdb then I would like to see the output of:

Code: Select all

udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb)
It might be a little long so maybe it would be best to send it to me in a private message.

Another solution is to add a partition label to your SCcard and then use the boot parameter"blab=$LABEL". If you are lucky it might already be labeled. You can do an"ls -l /dev/disk/by-label" to see. If it is not already labeled then the easiest way to add a label is to run the gparted program (as root). Open up /dev/sdb (upper right hand corner of the gparted window) and then right-click on the first partition. There should be an option to change the label. If you change the label to"antiXLive" then you would use the boot parameter"blab=antiXLive". You may still need to set"from=hd" but by using a label you prevent us from mounting any of your other internal partitions.

You could also use the uuid of the partition using"buuid=$UUID". Every partition already has a uuid so you don't have to add one. The downside is they tend to be long and random so they are a pain to type in.
Thanks.
from=hd and from=all didn't help.
Here is the output of udevadm: will try label with gparted asap. Ok, ok: asap meant immediatly. I did a quick test, set it to"liveCD" and used blab=liveCD and it didn't help neither. Will check if it really has that label asap (but not today).
BitJam
@nadir, thank you for the helpful info. I do have one more test for you to run although I'm running out of ideas to help you boot from your internal card reader.

If it is not too difficult I would like you to boot beta-3 from the external card reader (or a usb stick, or even a cd) with an SDcard plugged into your internal reader. I want you to select"mount usb" from the"F4 Options" menu of the antiX-beta3 boot loader. This option will automatically mount all usb devices at boot-time. I want to know if the SDcard in the internal card reader gets mounted when you boot. I usually use"df -h" from the command line to see what is mounted.

I have a few more suggestions to try to get it to boot but I'm not hopeful about any of them. The first thing to do is to use the boot parameter"v=8" which will cause much more to be printed out.

Next, you could use"retry=20" which will cause us to wait 20 seconds before giving up. Right now it should be waiting 10 seconds. If it is not waiting 10 seconds now then that could be part of the problem.

Third, if you mount an antiX LiveSDcard on your internal reader, does antiX/linuxfs exist? IOW, if the card shows up as /dev/sdb and its first partition is mounted at /media/sdb1 then does there exist a file at /media/sdb1/antiX/linuxfs? The uppercase"X" is crucial. If it shows up as a lowercase"x" then that could be the problem and should be fixable by using the"bdir=antix" (lowercase"x") boot parameter.

Finally, if you are feeling adventurous (and if you are comfortable with the command line) then you could use the boot parameter"bp=2" when booting from the internal reader. When you boot, you will almost instantly drop to a shell as root before we look for the antiX/linuxfs file.

Then look for /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 (I presume you have partitioned the SDcard and are booting from the first partition). Also look for /dev/mmcblk* devices. If nothing appears, then run"mdev -s" and look again. This command recreates the entire /dev/ directory.

If any of these do appear, then run"blkid $DEVICE" where $DEVICE is the the device that appeared. This should show you the uuid, label, and filesystem type.

Now try mounting the device yourself:

# mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1
# mount -t $TYPE /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
You get the $TYPE from the output of the blkid command and I assuming the device is /dev/sdb1. The directory name under /mnt does not matter. Finally, look for /mnt/sdb1/antiX/linuxfs.

These steps should recreate what happens when we try to boot. You should umount the device before continuing. You can continue with the boot process by using the"exit" command or by hitting <Ctrl>-d.
dolphin_oracle
Just tried the HP computer. The F4 HP MODE option worked fine, and with all fn keys for brightness working. I have to enable hotkeys in volume icon for the volume fn keys to work.

However, on the HP, I cannot specify a xres with F5 or the system will not boot to X. Have to use"default". If you specify an xres, the intel driver does not load, and it goes to vesa. If you leave it default, the intel driver will load and X starts as usual.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What xres do you want and what do you get default?
dolphin_oracle
the hp has a native resolution of 1366x768. If you choose this from the boot menu F keys, all is well until slim starts. X fails to start and you get a cli login prompt. according to inxi-G, the"vesa" drvr loads instead of"intel" and a"tty size" of 170x48. No resolution is reported. . If you simply leave the F key set to"default", then the native resolution is picked up and X starts just fine. inxi -G says intel drver loaded and resolution of 1366x768.
nadir
Posts 0
nadir
BitJam wrote:@nadir, thank you for the helpful info. I do have one more test for you to run although I'm running out of ideas to help you boot from your internal card reader.
No problem. And don't worry. I am not in the desperate need to get that running.
If i use antiX i usually use it from CD. Truth: I barely use cards or sticks at all.
If it is not too difficult I would like you to boot beta-3 from the external card reader (or a usb stick, or even a cd) with an SDcard plugged into your internal reader. I want you to select"mount usb" from the"F4 Options" menu of the antiX-beta3 boot loader. This option will automatically mount all usb devices at boot-time. I want to know if the SDcard in the internal card reader gets mounted when you boot. I usually use"df -h" from the command line to see what is mounted.
It get's mounted after using that option and boot the liveCD.

Next, you could use"retry=20" which will cause us to wait 20 seconds before giving up. Right now it should be waiting 10 seconds. If it is not waiting 10 seconds now then that could be part of the problem.
Does not help. Same error message, only a bit later.
Third, if you mount an antiX LiveSDcard on your internal reader, does antiX/linuxfs exist? IOW, if the card shows up as /dev/sdb and its first partition is mounted at /media/sdb1 then does there exist a file at /media/sdb1/antiX/linuxfs? The uppercase"X" is crucial. If it shows up as a lowercase"x" then that could be the problem and should be fixable by using the"bdir=antix" (lowercase"x") boot parameter.
Will insert that later.
Later: antiX is there,with upper X, and linuxfs is there too.
Finally, if you are feeling adventurous (and if you are comfortable with the command line) then you could use the boot parameter"bp=2" when booting from the internal reader. When you boot, you will almost instantly drop to a shell as root before we look for the antiX/linuxfs file.

Then look for /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 (I presume you have partitioned the SDcard and are booting from the first partition). Also look for /dev/mmcblk* devices. If nothing appears, then run"mdev -s" and look again. This command recreates the entire /dev/ directory.

If any of these do appear, then run"blkid $DEVICE" where $DEVICE is the the device that appeared. This should show you the uuid, label, and filesystem type.

Now try mounting the device yourself:

# mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1
# mount -t $TYPE /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
You get the $TYPE from the output of the blkid command and I assuming the device is /dev/sdb1. The directory name under /mnt does not matter. Finally, look for /mnt/sdb1/antiX/linuxfs.

These steps should recreate what happens when we try to boot. You should umount the device before continuing. You can continue with the boot process by using the"exit" command or by hitting <Ctrl>-d.
Ups. /dev/sdb is not there, only sda with all four partitions. mmcblk isn't there neither. fdisk - l confirms that nothing is found (I said it above, but anyway: i did boot from the SD-card internal on the laptop. It does work. I don't do it all the time though).
BitJam
nadir wrote:No problem. And don't worry. I am not in the desperate need to get that running.
If i use antiX i usually use it from CD. Truth: I barely use cards or sticks at all.
My interest is in getting our software to boot in most situation. I doubt the problem you hit is unique to you.
Ups. /dev/sdb is not there, only sda with all four partitions. mmcblk isn't there neither. fdisk - l confirms that nothing is found (I said it above, but anyway: i did boot from the SD-card internal on the laptop. It does work. I don't do it all the time though).
Ah, at last we have found something.

Did you try running"mdev -s" inside the breakpoint?

One more thing to try inside the breakpoint is:

find /dev -type b | egrep -v"/ram|/loop"
This should list all block devices. This should let us know if it is showing up as a different device.

What is the make/model of this computer? If the device does not show up then I will file a bug report upstream (with busybox which is what we are using to create those device nodes).

One more thing to try which might sound bizarre is to get to that breakpoint and the unplug the SDcard, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. After that look to see if the device shows up.
nadir
Posts 0
nadir
BitJam wrote:
nadir wrote:No problem. And don't worry. I am not in the desperate need to get that running.
My interest is in getting our software to boot in most situation. I doubt the problem you hit is unique to you.
Yeah, that was my thought too (that others might run in it as well, sooner or later.

I checked with mdev.
I also used grep -v, but found nothing interesting (i didn't use find with -b, as i didn't know it would show block devices. I seem to recall i used a simple"ls | grep -v <what-was-in-my-way> )
Give me a few days. If i won't post the next couple of days it doesn't mean i gave up, only that i am a bit busy.
equimanthorn
I'm playing now in Virtualbox with the iso of Antix 13 386.
I don't understand the difference between the options"rox-fluxbox" and"fluxbox" when you start to use the cd.
I only see the icons on the desktop are missing in the"fluxbox option __{{emoticon}}__
rust collector
right, rox sets the icons on the desktop, no big difference
BitJam
As RC said, Fluxbox does not normally come with desktop icons. If you want to want Fluxbox with desktop icons then use either Rox-Fluxbox or Space-Fluxbox. The same applies to other window managers that we make available in Rox- and Space- versions.

Maybe it would make more sense to call them Rox+Fluxbox and Space+Fluxbox.
equimanthorn
many thanks to you 2
how is possible to have desktop icons using space fm ?
Normally I use rox-filer for the icons.