topic title: AntiX 11
dolphin_oracle

19 Jan 2012, 21:25 #31

Dave, that desktop is sweet. What are you running here, xfce with fluxbox as the window manager? What is that tool bar on the left?
Dave
dolphin_oracle wrote:Dave, that desktop is sweet. What are you running here, xfce with fluxbox as the window manager? What is that tool bar on the left?
thank you

yes pretty much xfce with fluxbox, but is actually fluxbox with parts (and hacked parts at that) of xfce here is the basics
- Fluxbox, for base window management as I like the apps file.
- modified xfdesktop for icons. I only like it for removable media, makes it quick and easy to access with thunar automount / daemon __{{emoticon}}__
- xfce4-panel for top / left bars. (converted from lxpanel as lxpanel had problems with the menu)
- wbar for bottom quick launch
- of course my conky
- antiX glass leaves from sakasa's website

It is much easier to run xfce without fluxbox, it will look / function the same except there is not an apps file equivelent (that I know of). I just liked the apps file to much so I used fluxbox.

If you would like a specific configuration guide, I will make one up / package my xfdesktop if needed. Please specify if you would like fluxbox as well or strait xfce though.
dolphin_oracle
I think I could make something similar theme wise. While I've used xfce-panel beforeI never thought of using xfdesktop on its own...I may have to check that out. I think I'm going to play around with that. I may have some questions, but if I'll do I'll crack open a new thread. Thanks for the info!
Dave
Your welcome,

have fun with it, I did __{{emoticon}}__ As a tip, xfdesktop has alot of depends that are not really"needed". I would suggest installing xfce on livecd and find all the files that it requires to run. ( It will tell you what is missing if you run xfdesktop in terminal, there should only be around 5 .so files )

Edit
you may or may not wish to install xfce-notifyd as well, I think it make the desktop feel a little more complete.
fortrix
Nothing unusual: Blastix Fluxbox theme (slightly modified font) and dark wallpapers. Slickness-Dark GTK2 theme.
Tanga

I'm quite proud of this. I don't want to seem like a noob, but I had to learn a lot of new terminal commands and conky scripts to get this baby running. Worth it though. I can't believe something this pretty is running on just 196 meg of RAM. Eat your heart out Bill Gates. __{{emoticon}}__

EDIT: Made a thumbnail.
Last edited by Tanga on 25 Jan 2012, 02:12, edited 3 times in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Very nice, Tanga. Mac-like on an old PC.
Dave
Tanga wrote: I'm quite proud of this. I don't want to seem like a noob, but I had to learn a lot of new terminal commands and conky scripts to get this baby running. Worth it though. I can't believe something this pretty is running on just 196 meg of RAM. Eat your heart out Bill Gates. __{{emoticon}}__
Your conky setup is great Tanga,

Would you mind posting all the hard work to show us how you set it up? I as well as others may want to include what you have in their conkyrc's.
Tanga
I must admit to the odd bout of Mac Envy Anticapitalista. Closed systems bad, yadda yadda, but man Macs are well designed (not to mention pretty). I even use the icenoir theme to complete the look. __{{emoticon}}__

Dave, I'll be happy to upload my code. It's really just taking what I want from others' work anyway - so happy to pass what I learnt from them along. I'll start a thread in tips.

EDIT: I posted my conky code in the
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post23435.html#p23435"
linktext was:"conky thread"
====================================
male
I've also tinkered with Conky ...
The relevant part

Code: Select all

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen

TEXT
${color blue}${font gentium:size=15}${time %a %d %b %Y %k:%M}${font}
${color}antiX-M11-686
${color}$sysname $kernel
${color}Uptime: $uptime
${color}Wlan: ${color black}${addr eth2}
${color}down: ${downspeed eth2}${alignr}up: ${upspeed eth2}
${color}LAN: ${color black}${addr eth1}
${color}down: ${downspeed eth1}${alignr}up: ${upspeed eth1}
${color}cpu: ${color}${cpu}%
${color}ram : ${color}$mem${color}/${color}$memmax ${color}- ${color}$memperc%
${color}swap: ${color}$swap${color}/${color}$swapmax ${color}- ${color}$swapperc%
${color}processes: ${color}$processes  ${color}running: ${color}$running_processes
${color}FAN: ${ibm_fan} rpm
${color}CPU: ${acpitemp}C°
${color}Battery: ${alignr}${if_match ${battery_percent BAT0} >= 99}${color white}${battery_bar 10,60 BAT0}${else}${if_match ${battery_percent BAT0} < 99}${color green}${battery_bar 10,60 BAT0}${else}${if_match ${battery_percent BAT0} < 55}${color yellow}${battery_bar 10,60 BAT0}${else}${if_match ${battery_percent BAT0} <= 32}${color red}${battery_bar 10,60 BAT0}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}
${voffset -18}${alignr 12}${font :size=7}${color black}${battery_percent BAT0}%${font}
${color}Root:${color} ${fs_free /} ${color}= ${fs_free_perc /}%

Or, here found and changed to antiX

url was:"http://www.gambaru.de/blog/2012/02/05/lubuntu-der-weg-von-lxde-zu-einem-reinen-openbox-desktop-mit-tint2-und-conky/"
linktext was:"http://www.gambaru.de/blog/2012/02/05/l ... und-conky/"
rokytnji
Just installed Mate Desktop in M/C shop Antix 11 base.iso install. Repos are at
url was:"http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download"
linktext was:"http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download"

I have the room and horse power to run this desktop on this box. Fluxbox with LXpanel is my Backup Desktop Default Desktop. I use F1 at slim login screen for right now to login to mate using slim.

__{{emoticon}}__

Rename slim.confbk to slim.conf and put in /etc after backing up your own /etc/slim.conf yourself in case things go fubar for you. Same for xinitrc (which sits in /home/(your user name) as a hidden folder . Rename xinitrc to .xinitrc.
carbon
loukingjr
AntiX 12 test/xfce...
dolphin_oracle
That is a very very nice desktop!
loukingjr
dolphin_oracle wrote:That is a very very nice desktop!
danke __{{emoticon}}__