anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, antiX now has 64 bit versions.

Need testers to see how well this works.

I have uploaded base version (360MB). Using the new_usb.sh script should still work for those that want to put it on a stick.

This is labelled an alpha, but installation and running should present no serious issues. There are plenty of bugs, but hopefully, all minor.

Features.

* 3.6.0 kernel
* updated applications
* changes to icons in antixcc, exit

Downloads:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================

url was:"http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/"

url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... s/Testing/"
afab4
I was able to create a bootable USB using the new_usb.sh script. No issues.
I installed to my sda5 partition via the USB using the gui installer.
I was unable to connect to wireless using ceni via the control panel. Something about ceniwrapper not being found.(it is there in user/bin along with ceni).
When I tried connecting to wireless with ceni using a terminal it complained the resolution was too small to open ceni. I maximized the terminal window and was able to connect to my wireless with ceni.
I was unable to reset the default desktop to fluxbox either using the control panel or by running the change-default-desktop as a user. I was able to select fluxbox at login by using F1 but it would not save it on subsequent reboot. I finally edited xinitrc to make fluxbox the default.
So far a couple bugs then and I will continue to test.
Here is what impresses me the most!
(fluxbox no pinboard)

91.5 Mb@idle

Nice work!

EDIT: I set up persistence on my USB and the antixcc change login seesion worked perfectly changing my default desktop to fluxbox.
My hard drive install experience with ceni though was the same with USB.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
ceniwrapper seems to be/is broken for 64bit.

Same with ktsuss, meta-installer, sudoku-savant, youtube-viewer,
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:ceniwrapper seems to be/is broken for 64bit.

Same with ktsuss, meta-installer, sudoku-savant, youtube-viewer,
I was able to get ceni to work with antixcc by:

1. Changing the script to call ceni instead of ceniwrapper.
2. Changing the terminal default to open maximised.

Update:
I have successfully installed smbnets to mount my network shares.
I have installed my networked printer via samba with no problems. I did have to adduser to the lpadmin group.

Changing the default terminal window size to 100x32 seems to have fixed the ceni issue for me.
This is with a 1280x800 resolution.
SamK
afab4 wrote:When I tried connecting to wireless with ceni using a terminal it complained the resolution was too small to open ceni. I maximized the terminal window and was able to connect to my wireless with ceni.
I've seen this in 32 bit antiX. To avoid having to open in full screen my approach was (in an open ROXTerm), change the font size, which also makes it easier to read.

Preferences-->Edit Current Profile
Font=Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 11
afab4
ctrl->alt->F1 drops me out of X (to run smxi) but I have a blank screen and no way to get out of it but to reboot.
Booting to runlevel 3 by adding 3 to menu.lst works OK.

Occasionally the"Applications" tab in the menu seems to be frozen after adding an application. Using the auto-update-menu fixes this.

Some of the menu items still want to use pkexec so they have to be changed to gksu.
afab4
I made an antixsnapshot, used it for a frugal install on my sda3 partition, and then used the frugal install's cli-installer to install to my sda6 partition. Everything worked well.
dark-D
i gave it a spin. can't notice some advantage over the 32 bit version. my only suggestion for now is about appearance as usual. antix control center and exit antix would look much better without the close button, the button is out of place. will play around for a longer time and post on my findings.
NoSavvy
Have tried it in VBox and installed it OK. A pProblem changing"antixcc/session/edit login options" the first time (ktsuss error) tried again from command line and failure then from"antixcc" again and it worked OK. A trivial thing also is that when using"spacefm" as user I accidentally clicked on /root and this locked the system up completely.
It is repeatable.

NS.
mroot
It installs and boots okay.

Icons in the control center look nice.

After first boot conky shows 132mb. Later reboots were in the 118 to 132mb range.

I have the ceni issue mentioned above in the thread- works only if opened from terminal in a larger than default window.

I also have the control center issue for the session tab- edit login options icon. It asks for the admin password and then gives an error message that change-default-desktop should be run as normal user.
BitJam
BitJam
mroot wrote:I also have the control center issue for the session tab- edit login options icon. It asks for the admin password and then gives an error message that change-default-desktop should be run as normal user.
I believe the"gksu" needs to be removed from in front of"change-default-desktop" in antixcc.sh. It needs to start running as a normal user so it can figure out where the user's home directory is because it needs to edit ~/.xinitrc. It then sets an environment variable and immediately calls itself using gksu so it can write to / etc/skel and / etc/slim.conf. The environment variable contains the user's home directory.

Right now, change-default-desktop is a kludge to work around the limitations of SLiM. I hope that once we start using LightDM, all of (or most of) this can go away.
rokytnji
Just booted up as live usb made with Unetbootin today. Not a lot of time available for me today to install later and test today though. I will get back later on this in the week.

Code: Select all

demo@antiX1:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.6.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-base-maintenance-amd64 Edelweißpiraten 06 October 2012
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075BHU version: ThinkCentre M57
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO Bios: LENOVO version: 2RKT41AUS date: 03/20/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7181.42 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.12.3.902 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 11:0c.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.0.0-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.0GB (0.5% used) 1: USB id: /dev/sda model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 2.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST380815AS size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 3.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 77 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 203.9/1982.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.19 
The plan is to shrink the Ubuntu partition on this hardrive. Install testing on extra partition. Then try installing grub to root instead of mbr and use Ubuntu grub 2 to boot. If it tanks. I will install AntiX grub to mbr and chainload ubuntu with AntiX grub instead. Memory usage during live session is while I am posting this in Iceweasel. Testing youtube in full screen works good in live session also.
rokytnji
Done with install. I will go into details later as it is past my bedtime. Teaser Below.

modified teaser next morning

Edit: Good morning. During install with usb drive. Installing grub only gave me mbr as a place to install grub instead of root in the installer mode. It said sda so I said OK. Found out later on when I rebooted with the usb pulled out that Ubuntu grub2 showed up (I have it edited to show me menu list during boot up before splash screen).

Took me awhile to figure out grub installed to mbr of usb drive. I inserted usb and booted into my internal install of AntiX and used Applications>system tools>system>password>grub>enable grub repair>install on root partition. Rebooted into Ubuntu and did a

sudo update-grub

Rebooted and finally saw AntiX covered in Ubuntus grub2 menu. Booted just fine. I had edited / boot/grub/menu.lst in AntiX earlier to use root=UUID instead of root=/ dev/sdb because intrafms was telling me / dev/sdb7 did not exist. That was a red herring though since grub was installed on mbr of flashdrive. Anyhows, it works OK now.

I had to change run actions in rox file manager for .tar.gz and zip file extraction from file-roller to xarchiver also. I'd post fdisk -l and blkid but it just sits there with the cursor flashing. I installed blkid earlier. I used Ubuntu blkid to get the UUID for AntiX and used that for editing AntiX grub menu. I installed wicd so as not to deal with ceni with my wireless card in this desktop. Install was done with ethernet cable attatched though.

So not sure what is wrong here.

# blkid -o list
device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$ locate fdisk
/sbin/cfdisk
/sbin/cfdisk.distrib
/sbin/fdisk
/sbin/fdisk.distrib
/sbin/gfdisk
/sbin/lfdisk
/sbin/sfdisk
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/README
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/TODO
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnu-fdisk/copyright
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/README.cfdisk
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/README.fdisk.gz
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/examples/sfdisk.examples.gz
/usr/share/info/cfdisk.info.gz
/usr/share/info/fdisk.info.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/cfdisk.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/cfdisk.distrib.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/fdisk.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/fdisk.distrib.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/gfdisk.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/lfdisk.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/sfdisk.8.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnu-fdisk.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnu-fdisk.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnu-fdisk.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnu-fdisk.preinst

$ locate blkid
/ etc/blkid.tab
/ etc/blkid.tab.old
/lib/cryptsetup/checks/blkid
/lib/cryptsetup/checks/un_blkid
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libblkid.so.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libblkid.so.1.1.0
/sbin/blkid
/usr/share/doc/libblkid1
/usr/share/doc/libblkid1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libblkid1/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libblkid1/copyright
/usr/share/man/man8/blkid.8.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libblkid1:amd64.symbols
Otherwise, boot time and shutdown times are faster than Ubuntu. I like this install better so looking foward to when this goes final.
rokytnji
So not sure what is wrong here.
I think I figured out what was killing blkid,fdisk,and having gparted stuck in scanning all devices.

url was:"http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/blade-server-disable-floppy-driver-module.html"
linktext was:"floppy0: no floppy controllers found – HP / IBM / Dell Server error and solution"

On a wild guess I greped floppy module and saw it was installed and loading in kernel. Since there is no floppy drive in this IBM M57. I created a aliases text file in / etc/modprobe.d and typed in

alias block-major-2 off
saved it and closed spacefm. I did not reboot yet since doing this so I hope this works as well on reboot.

# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="343942EB578098A9" TYPE="ntfs" 
/dev/sda3: UUID="676d70d7-1c41-449b-be0f-2e04df874d86" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda5: UUID="a70b8580-b61d-4732-8109-b6f883ab58de" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sda6: UUID="454f0f9b-3885-4a59-a3d8-eefe9bef04e6" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda7: LABEL="/" UUID="6439e2f7-c8a3-4ced-b422-0a29827738d4" TYPE="ext4" 
root@bikertest:/home/harry
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80 GB, 80031974400 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9730 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System 
/dev/sda1   *           1          95      763056    7  HPFS/NTFS
Warning: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3              95        1352    10096852   83  Linux
Warning: Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2            1352        9730    67296285    5  Extended
/dev/sda6            1352        7928    52821720   83  Linux
Warning: Partition 6 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda7            7928        9332    11277630   83  Linux
Warning: Partition 7 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda5            9333        9730     3188902   82  Linux swap
Warning: Partition 5 does not end on cylinder boundary.

# blkid -o list
device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/sda1  ntfs             (not mounted)  343942EB578098A9
/dev/sda3  ext4             (not mounted)  676d70d7-1c41-449b-be0f-2e04df874d86
/dev/sda5  swap             <swap>         a70b8580-b61d-4732-8109-b6f883ab58de
/dev/sda6  ext4             (not mounted)  454f0f9b-3885-4a59-a3d8-eefe9bef04e6
/dev/sda7  ext4    /        /              6439e2f7-c8a3-4ced-b422-0a29827738d4
/ dev/sda1 is just a 750MB IBM recovery partition I can't touch. It is tied into bios I think. This is just a straight Linux box.

Gonna reboot now and hope my change fixes this. Crosses Fingers.
Edit:
__{{emoticon}}__ Did not survive the reboot. Same problem as before.

2nd edit: rebooted into ubuntu just to check. fdisk and blkid working OK there. Thought I had it figured out. Guess i was wrong.
rokytnji
Well, at least I have df -h working

# df -h
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                   11G  2.7G  7.5G  27% /
udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   199M  436K  198M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/6439e2f7-c8a3-4ced-b422-0a29827738d4   11G  2.7G  7.5G  27% /
tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                  1021M  4.0K 1021M   1% /run/shm
__{{emoticon}}__