julian516

26 Oct 2012, 22:04 #31

As I start here is a quick inxi sketch of my system:

CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 (-MCP-) clocked at 1200.000 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 Up~37 min Mem~254.2/3018.2MB HDD~266.1GB(34.5% used) Procs~141 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.19
Graphics: nVidia Gforce 9300M

I downloaded the antiX-64 iso file, tested using the MD5Sum and used Unetbootin to place the iso on a jumpdrive. That iso/jumpdrive runs with no problems at all, just as it should. Suffice to say I was not expecting to see such a polished system at this early phase in development. Everything I tried on the menus worked as it should. Ethernet was immediately operational. Wireless did not work because the firmware by Intel chip needs was not present. That is easily repaired once the system is installed.

The terminal opens by default to a size that is not adequate for the included smxi tools. This is a trivial problem. The other applications on my iso all seem to work as they should. The final iso file could include more applications or not. If it is kept light that is a faster and more economical download for many people. Users then can go to the repositories and bring down such applications as they might want. In short I did not need anything on the iso file that is not there as it comes initially.

If there is a big surprise it is the list of boot options for different persistence configurations. This is very good and important. If a user can do a persistent root&home it should be easy to boot the entire iso file into ram and run it from there with great responsiveness. User data files then could be written out and saved to another jump-drive used for that purpose. The result would be one very quick and convenient system.

Installation

The installation routine appeared to run smoothly, taking perhaps 15 minutes. The installer is the veteran Mepis tool which had problems trying to handle the latest Mepis 12 Alpha build, where it baulked at putting GRUB anywhere save the MBR of sda. (Though it will finally put it elsewhere. Be insistent.) In this case the GRUB installer accepted my choice to put GRUB on sdc, which in this case is a jump-drive that will carry the antiX system. sdb is the jump-drive hosting the antiX iso file. sda is off limits in this case. In any event all appeared to go as it should.

First Boot

Oops. We have a string of messages rolling by suggesting that /boot cannot find what it needs to boot antiX.

Target file system doesn't have requested sbin/init

No init found. Try passing init=bootarg

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

initramfs _

I entered"init=bootarg" at the blinking horizontal initramfs cursor position. That appeared to do nothing.

A good number of other testers have installed this antiX-64 iso apparently without incident. Obviously there is something I do not know. My hunch is that my glitch is small. Can somebody tell me what it is?
rokytnji
Guess what. Plug in the usb and try to boot your install. You installed grub to the mbr on the pendrive. I did the same snafu but I put a figure out to it on my own and I don't know if i mentioned it or not.

post26514.html#p26514

Yeah, I mentioned it. __{{emoticon}}__

If You look at my
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ompldr.org/vZnd6ZA/dirty.jpg"
linktext was:"screensho"
====================================
t. Nothing is too small. I used sgfxi after install to install the proper driver.

Oops. Did not know sda was off limits. I am not afeared so I reinstalled grub to internal sda mbr so I would not need the pendrive to boot. Maybe I am misunderstanding entirely your post. Sorry.

2nd edit> In case your (hd0,X) in grub is messed up on your /boot/grub/menu.lst on your pendrive. It should read (hd0,0).

3rd edit> root=UUID= instead of root=/dev/sdx in grub may fix root file system not found also. At least that works for me. You need to find the UUID number of the root partition on that pendrive and make it look like something like this (just a example

Code: Select all

kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-3.6.0-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=6439e2f7-c8a3-4ced-b422-0a29827738d4
anticapitalista
Site Admin
"In this case the GRUB installer accepted my choice to put GRUB on sdc, which in this case is a jump-drive that will carry the antiX system. sdb is the jump-drive hosting the antiX iso file. sda is off limits in this case. In any event all appeared to go as it should."

Since sdb is the jump-drive hosting the antiX iso file, and I guess is no longer plugged in when you use sdc, your bios no doubt sees the jump-drive that will carry the antiX system as sdb. So you will probably need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Post it so we can see it.
BitJam
Is a new 64-bit iso on the way? I need to install 64-bit to test the new Debian version of e16. I'm happy to install alpha1 if a new version is not about to appear soon.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
A new version will be available in a couple of days.
rokytnji

05 Nov 2012, 23:33 #36

anticapitalista wrote:A new version will be available in a couple of days.
exoodles has wrong server name in / etc/apt/sources.list.d/mutimedia.list

# debian-multimedia sources added by exoodles
#deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing main non-free
I commented it out for now. It should be

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free
I think.
masinick
rokytnji wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:A new version will be available in a couple of days.
exoodles has wrong server name in / etc/apt/sources.list.d/mutimedia.list

# debian-multimedia sources added by exoodles
#deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing main non-free
I commented it out for now. It should be

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free
I think.
... and I think you ARE RIGHT! Good catch Roky!
rokytnji
Just did a dist-upgrade after I posted. Went OK with exoodles commented out. I was wondering?

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://daveserver.info/antiX/dev/"
linktext was:"http://daveserver.info/antiX/dev/"
====================================

what is the differance between

linux-headers-3.6.4-antix.1-amd64-smp_3.6.4-antix.1-amd64-smp-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
linux-image-3.6.4-antix.1-amd64-smp_3.6.4-antix.1-amd64-smp-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb

and

linux-headers-3.6.4-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_3.6.4-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
linux-image-3.6.4-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp_3.6.4-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb

since the latter has gnu in it. I want to try out one or the other on this

harry@bikertest:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: bikertest Kernel: 3.6.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-base-maintenance-amd64 EdelweiƟpiraten 06 October 2012
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075BHU version: ThinkCentre M57
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO Bios: LENOVO version: 2RKT41AUS date: 03/20/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7181.5 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 11:0c.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.0.0-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST380815AS size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 11G used: 3.5G (35%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 84 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 363.4/1982.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.20 
But I think I should go with the non gnu antix kernel since MY inxi report says I run a non gnu antix 3.6 kernel and it boots and works ok.
Just curious is all.
rokytnji
Welllll, Since this is a test install. Plus. I have never been one to play it safe in life.

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: bikertest Kernel: 3.6.4-gnu-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-base-maintenance-amd64 EdelweiƟpiraten 06 October 2012
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075BHU version: ThinkCentre M57
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO Bios: LENOVO version: 2RKT41AUS date: 03/20/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7181.62 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 11:0c.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.0.0-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST380815AS size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 11G used: 3.8G (38%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 91 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 132.1/1979.2MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.20 
I'll see later what the differences are I guess between a antix-gnu kernel and antix-custom kernel.
masinick
Keep at it Roky! Wish I had a 64 bit system so I could test this with you!
Eino
I used the upgrade feature in the installer, of 13-2. All of my added software works great.
I did make a change to my conky to show the wireless signal strength, because the loss of wicd.

I still have the wicd software, but I went with ceni because it's in the systems control center.
RUTILT gives a dbus error, so that ruled out it's use.

I will be removing software I don't need like, ndiswrapper, and now wicd. I still need to do some more exploring to find the useless, or what has become useless software.
masinick
Eino wrote:I used the upgrade feature in the installer, of 13-2. All of my added software works great.
I did make a change to my conky to show the wireless signal strength, because the loss of wicd.

I still have the wicd software, but I went with ceni because it's in the systems control center.
RUTILT gives a dbus error, so that ruled out it's use.

I will be removing software I don't need like, ndiswrapper, and now wicd. I still need to do some more exploring to find the useless, or what has become useless software.
I have never had any success with RUTILT either, so for me, it is extraneous and of no use. I do typically keep both ceni and wicd around. They are fairly small in size, so it's not a problem to have redundancy. I like wicd, so I usually use it, but ceni has also been a valuable network manager too. For me, they are the two most effective network managers. The advantage to wicd is that I can use either a graphical user interface or a command line interface. The advantage I see to ceni is that when I try to connect, it attempts to connect within a few seconds, and then adjusts if there are issues connecting immediately. I normally use wicd, but if there are problems with my wireless router, it helps me to locate and isolate them quickly, and that's why I prefer to keep both of them handy.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
RUTILT was/is kept because a user (can't remember who) could only connect (installed) to the net via it. For some reason bothe ceni and wicd failed.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:RUTILT was/is kept because a user (can't remember who) could only connect (installed) to the net via it. For some reason both the ceni and wicd failed.
In that case, I have no objection to its inclusion. Network Managers are not large space consumers by any means.
rokytnji
anticapitalista wrote:RUTILT was/is kept because a user (can't remember who) could only connect (installed) to the net via it. For some reason bothe ceni and wicd failed.

I remember the user It was mariel (I might have spelled the name wrong.