xrandr Cant change Resolution. sgfxi breaks, Nvidia legacy

Grim0x
Gentlefolks. G'day.

PLEASE HELP. My resolution I cannot get to change. Here is my xorg:
And note that my nvidia-drivers are installed, but antix"monitor Settings" basic util, does not change the res to the listed 1280x1024_60.00 mode.

I am quite flustered. Havent used Antix in over a month. Followed several guides but cant get my resolution to the native 1280x1024.
I am very dissapointed in myself, for reaching this point of frustration - in correcting this (simple) fault.

Code: Select all

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 304.48  (buildd@murphy)  Wed Sep 12 11:32:28 UTC 2012

Section"ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Layout0"
    Screen        "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice   "Keyboard0""CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice   "Mouse0""CorePointer"
EndSection

Section"Files"
EndSection

Section"InputDevice"

#save space#EXCLUDED BY ME##
EndSection

Section"InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier    "Keyboard0"
    Driver        "kbd"
EndSection

Section"Monitor"
    Identifier    "Monitor0"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    ModelName     "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section"Device"
    Identifier    "Device0"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    VendorName    "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section"Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "Device0"
    Monitor       "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection    "Display"
        Depth       24
    Modes"1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

xrandr --newmode"1280x1024_60.00"  109.00  1280 1368 1496 1712  1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync

Gives : [b][size=150]Failed to get size of gamma for output default[/size][/b]
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 640 x 480, maximum 640 x 480
default connected 640x480+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   640x480        50.0* 
   320x240        51.0  
  1280x1024_60.00 (0x198)  109.0MHz
        h: width  1280 start 1368 end 1496 total 1712 skew    0 clock   63.7KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1027 end 1034 total 1063           clock   59.9Hz
Along with these, there is something that might be adjust in GRUB, what and where was it again?

what else could I be missing?

plz guys - its been long enough __{{emoticon}}__ .
Adding a custom res in this xorg, does nothing
Last edited by Grim0x on 24 Jun 2014, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
I see that you have the nvidia-xconfig app, do you not have the nvidia settings app? Or is it not available? Or does it not work? I usually can use sgfxi to install nvidia drivers and use the nvidia - settings app to modify the configuration / save the configuration. There have been a few cases where the driver did not play nice and the settings app would not work (Example my multi seat system)
Grim0x
Hw u doing Dave? Thanks for replying.

Presently, you're on my wave-length/page.

I do have the nvidia-xconfig app. I will likely edit this post after confirming if I have the nvidia-settings app.
I can say however that nvidia-xconfig, though it will launch, and display most Tabs - will:
1. Only show me a max res of 640 x 480 & hang if I try that option"Advanced", to possibly edit that.
2. Freeze if I play around with it too much (try clicking each section).

Thus, I've been rendered to this present situation, which you graciously took the time to analyze. (lengthy OP! so thanks).

Nvidia Xconfig (think) also did-up my xorg.conf. Clearly it was not successful.

I tried for a manual mode line using xrandr - no success there either. Namely it spits that"gamma" error I mentioned Above.

So - thats whats up Dave.
Eperbab
Same error was here with Radeon 9200 SE. I have installed the vesa driver, and set up resolution in grub. See vga=ask option. In case of errors X will pick up resolution used by grub.
Grim0x
I got sgfxi to work. Adding custom resolutions hopefully wont be such a pain.

To provide some background/recap, sgfxi broke my display, rather than helping me change from default linux nouveau. The problem in essence/summary was this:

sgfxi - the tool recommended by antixheroes DEFAULTS to installing version 173.14.39 of the legacy nvidia driver (for cards such as my FX5200). This is the latest driver - I was not able to alter which.

HOWEVER. The nvidia driver, works with a kernel module AND with xorg.
debian def:"a binary-only Xorg driver requiring a Linux kernel module for its use"

So afaik, xorg determines which card is available, and which driver to use. A kernel module is also going to be made by the respective nvidia driver package you install. Whether it be the more current 304.xxx.xxx series, or the legacy 173.xxx.xxx

The problem with sgfxi is that it doesnt touch the xorg requirement! Which is that the nvidia-xserver/xorg package be version 173.14.39 TO MATCH the version of the latest legacy driver (ie. one sgfxi installs).

The solution was:

1. Update Xorg : xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-173xx (this is version 173.14.39
2. Run sgfxi script as root. (it will install NVIDIA DRIVER 173.14.39 by default).

Tada: no more"API mismatch" error.

If this is not done, the xorg-nvidia...binaries, which in Antix are 173.14.35 will not match, and your display will BREAK. (no screens found) being the likely result.

NO OTHER PACKAGE/METHOD helped me, incl installing the 173.xx legacy source OR dkms versions.
Nor was editing a xorg.conf.d file of any kind necessary in this case.

Not that hard, for a couple weeks (months if I count on/off attempts) at trying to fix a legacy nvidia installation.

Hope this helps some poor wandering soul through search-engine hit Someday.
Cheers
Dave
Wow glad to see you have figured out the issue, and even happier to see that you posted the solution __{{emoticon}}__
It seems that I must have forgot to reply to your post before (getting good at that lately).... but to be honest, from the solution you have posted I highly doubt that any suggestions on how to fix the problem would have stirred up that solution. In fact I would guess that it would have taken even more time listening to my suggestions than that which it took to figure this out!

I must say kudos to you Grim0x.
jdmeaux1952
It is great when you can figure a solution to the problem and let everyone else know what you did. __{{emoticon}}__
Grim0x
I am thankful to the Lord I got it resolved. What a pain it was - as there was nothing from the log files truly enlightening.
Consequently, as my xorg installation was perfectly fine, I wouldnt have suspected it.

Thank you for chiming in and sharing the sucesss. Eperbab, Dave, jdmeaux