OU812
Hello,

This applies to only some of my .wmv files. I've done some research, but really haven't found a fix. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Tried playing the files in gnome-mplayer and xmms with the same result: If I fast forward the video stalls for a few moments. So I doubt it's an mplayer problem.
2. Installed w64codecs, which made no impact. So the problem must lie with some other codec.
3. Tried converting to a different format using winff, but the resulting file had a major loss of quality. But at least I could fast forward. So there must be a problem with the wmv file.
4. Tried playing the files with archbang livecd and they played perfectly. Perhaps arch's codecs were compiled differently.
5. Tried using different video outputs using gnome-mplayer's preferences - all have trouble with fast forwarding.

Based on the above, I'm wondering if the problem lies with the Debian codecs that handle wmv playback. Whether I'm right or wrong is there a fix that I've overlooked?

Thanks,

John
dolphin_oracle
I've run across some seek/search issues with mplayer. It is also having trouble with some of my avi files. I installed vlc and all is well. if I remember correctly, vlc does its own thing with codecs...