nujinini
Hello everyone!

Greetings!

Distro: anti-x 8.2

Before installation I tried the lived CD and was pleased to see that the Wireless & Flash ran out of the box using the Live CD.

However, after installation I experienced the ff:

Wireless: detected but cannot go to the internet.
Cable: detected and also cannot go to the internet.

When I tried to boot using the Live CD at this point, my wireless can detect the router but now cannot go to the net.

This is quite puzzling for me being a first time user of 8.2.

My experience with linux is very limited considering that I am just a little over a year in my effort to self-learn this wonderful OS.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Cheers! __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Glad to see you made it here nujinini. While I have been recommending forums. Might I also suggest
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/index.php"
linktext was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/index.php"
====================================
since you are part of the Mepis and AntiX Family now. Good bunch of folks there to.

Make sure land line is connected. Then open a terminal.

Do us a favor and post the readout of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
and for the below command you will have to type in

sux
then enter. Then type in password to become root user. Hit enter. Then give us the readout of

ifconfig
After that type exit. Then hit enter. Then type exit. Then hit enter again to close root terminal.

In the taskbar is a set of crossed wrenches that are the AntiX Control Center. Open that and go use the network tab in the crossbar. See if you can connect through Ceni first.
Later on we will walk you through using Wicd. Which isn't hard to do.

To let the other guys/folks know. I recommended nujinini to this forum so he could learn to run AntiX. I told him about the good camaraderie here. So give him a welcome (and a hand to). I am just one of the back woods users of AntiX, so be patient nujinini. Some better experts than I will chime in later.

Good Luck and Happy Trails, Rok.
nujinini
hi rokytnji,

hi __{{emoticon}}__ small world!

thanks for inviting me here.

I think i'll love it here. just have to familiarize how to navigate inside forums. I tried your suggestion and was able to make wireless run. Darn! I tried to duplicate by doing it again i think i screwed up coz i can't make it go on wireless and even on cable __{{emoticon}}__ .

Anyway, here are the outputs. Hope you can make sense out of these, thank! __{{emoticon}}__

jun@anti-x 8:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host anti-x 8.2 Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.2 Tȟašúŋke Witkó - Crazy Horse 24 July 2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual T3400 (SMP) cache 1024 KB flags (sse3 nx lm) bmips 8649.1 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 2166.00 MHz (2) 1333.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.4.2 Res: 1024x768@71.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa GLX Indirect GLX Version 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.4) Direct Rendering No
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.17
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.94
           Card-2 Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g driver wl
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (0.6% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi HTS54252 250.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 6.0G used: 1.5G (26%) ID:swap-1 size: 6.96GB used: 0.00GB (0%) 
Info:      Processes 88 Uptime 19 min Memory 74.4/2908.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.17 
jun@anti-x 8:~$ sux
Password: 
root@anti-x 8:/home/jun# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:8b:b5:c2:e8  
          inet6 addr: fe80::223:8bff:feb5:c2e8/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:384 (384.0 B)  TX bytes:492 (492.0 B)
          Interrupt:17 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:21:00:97:be:a1  
          inet6 addr: fe80::221:ff:fe97:bea1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:528 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:345
          TX packets:290 errors:102 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:85107 (83.1 KiB)  TX bytes:35663 (34.8 KiB)
          Interrupt:19 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

root@anti-x 8:/home/jun# 
root@anti-x 8:/home/jun# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"open house"  Nickname:"defaul"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:1F:C6:42:40:DF   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Managementmode:All packets received
          Link Quality=5/5  Signal level=-21 dBm  Noise level=-90 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:38  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

root@anti-x 8:/home/jun#
secipolla
Hi nujinini, welcome!
I don't have wireless but I remember that in 8.0 or 8.2 I had to restart the network for it to connect (as root):

/etc/init.d/networking restart
Also maybe roky answered this so many times he skipped it this time but I remember you would have to change in Wicd preferences dhcp to dhclient: post13901.html?hilit=wicd#p13901

If you're installing antiX now and you can download the latest version (8.5), try it instead of 8.2.
nujinini
secipolla wrote:If you're installing antiX now and you can download the latest version (8.5), try it instead of 8.2.
Hi!

Thank you secipolla! I'll give it another try in a while.

Fyi, the reason why I am trying to install 8.2 is because of the kernel.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-kernel/164953-search-distro-running-2-6-28x-x.html"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... 28x-x.html"
====================================

If I succeed in this, I would definitely give 8.5 a try, as long as the backlight would be controllable.

Thanks agan! __{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
Welcome aboard.

Definitely try setting wicd to use dhclient instead of auto or dhcp as secipolla recommended. Its solved several of my issues with different chipsets. I think ceni goes dhclient by default, so that may be why it worked for you (at least once).
rokytnji
Hope you can make sense out of these, thank you
Not only us but we are going to teach you how to read youyr inxi output.
Network: Card-1 Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.94
Card-1 is your ethernet (land line) card and uses driver tg3 v:3.94

Card-2 is your wireless card and uses the wl driver.

I don't use Broadcom Cards in my Lappys. Mostly Intel IPW and Raylink and Atheros chips in my gear.

For setting up Wicd. In the preferences section. For Wireless interface. Type in the interface Ceni gave you whether it be wlan0 or wlan1, etc... (after reading ifconfig. You will type in eth1)

Go the dhclient route like suggested by dolphin_oracle (a wireless guru IMO by the way) and secipolla (a AntiX Quality Control Inspector/Translator if I ever saw one IMO).

Give Wicd about 60 to 90 seconds to connect Depending on your wireless. On my gear sometimes connecting with Wicd is instantaneous and sometimes it takes a bit of a wait (after a fresh boot up. Just got in from long days ride. 115F + today. Was like riding in front of a blow dryer. __{{emoticon}}__
nujinini
secipolla wrote:

/etc/init.d/networking restart
Hello again!

I was able to make wireless work by executing the above. And then going to"configure network interfaces" at the control center. I did it twice to make sure I got it right. __{{emoticon}}__

May I please know how I can make it run automatically everytime I restart the system?

Thank you! __{{emoticon}}__
nujinini
Not only us but we are going to teach you how to read youyr inxi output.
This is moosssst welcome. Consider me as your online disciple. __{{emoticon}}__
Network: Card-1 Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.94

Card-1 is your ethernet (land line) card and uses driver tg3 v:3.94

Card-2 is your wireless card and uses the wl driver.
Okay...
For setting up Wicd. In the preferences section. For Wireless interface. Type in the interface Ceni gave you whether it be wlan0 or wlan1, etc... (after reading ifconfig. You will type in eth1)
I think I got that part.
Go the dhclient route like suggested by dolphin_oracle (a wireless guru IMO by the way) and secipolla (a AntiX Quality Control Inspector/Translator if I ever saw one IMO).
It is such a very humbling experience to be helped and thought by you guys! __{{emoticon}}__ But anyway,"dhclient route"? Where do I find that so I can do the below please...

Give Wicd about 60 to 90 seconds to connect Depending on your wireless. On my gear sometimes connecting with Wicd is instantaneous and sometimes it takes a bit of a wait (after a fresh boot up.

Just got in from long days ride. 115F + today. Was like riding in front of a blow dryer. __{{emoticon}}__
Man.....your living the life! My desire is to retire in a place where I can live on nature. Cool mountian, log cabins, fishing by the lake, hunting for game, riding a big bike like yours, and plenty of big dogs! German Sheperds, and labs! __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
The dhclient can be set in Wicd preferences also. You will see it set on Automatic. Just tick on the box for dhclient and hit the refresh button in Wicd after doing the eth1 thing.

I have 3 dogs and 3 cats right now. __{{emoticon}}__

It's a handful.
rokytnji
If Wicd works out for you. Just a suggestion. To keep Wicd from upgrading.

Open Synaptic and do a search for wicd

Highlight on it to get the description in the bottom window of synaptic box

Then go to taskbar in synaptic

package -> lock version, and lock that version so it does not upgrade. I have seen wicd break for certain folks after doing a apt-get upgrade. Just a suggestion.
nujinini
Done!

Wireless runs auto upon restart! __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks everyone!