topic title: Window-maker
malanrich
So I'm trying Window-maker because fluxbox sometimes misbehaves in drawing and maintaining window borders. I'm not sure how to explain this, but apps like Ted go crazy in fluxbox but work fine in other wm's like icewm and window-maker. Anyway, window-maker does have some amazing configuration tools. I'm not sure I'll keep it long, but it's working great on antiX and fixes my problem with Ted. I've heard it's not as lean as fluxbox...

anticapitalista
Site Admin
Nice!

I think window-maker is as light as fluxbox (or near enough), but I think it is more work to get it looking nice than fluxbox, but maybe that's just because I know fluxbox better.

I note the screenshot is from Spartacus. Is it still working ok for you?
malanrich
Window-maker is definitely more intricate than fluxbox. The display takes some getting used to (vs. fluxbox or icewm). It comes really bare out of the repos. But it has tons of modules to add as you like, and it has gui configuration tools that in some ways make configuration easier than editing files in fluxbox. Fluxbox still rules (or will, as soon as I get that window managing problem fixed). But window-maker does have one great tool (a separate module to install): a menu-manager that gives you lots of options for menu design.

Lysistrata is my main OS, but Spartacus works best for trying out new things (it has more libs for installing apps without having to do heavy downloading). Many apps just work in Spartacus that don't in Lysistrata (for us dial-up folks). I'll probably trade-in Spartacus for the KDE-lite antiX.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The kde-lite antiX is a work in progress project, with I'll admit from me, not a lot of progress, whereas Spartacus was the result of months of work, testing, feedback.

Lysistrata inherited some bugs from Mepis 7 (unfixed even today) and the most recent antiX betas/preview have managed to fix/bi-pass some of them.

I think the next final release of antiX (not too far off) will be an advance of Lysistrata and probably more stable (not that Lysistrata was unstable, just had a few hiccups!)

Now, I need to think of a good release name for the next final!!
malanrich
anticapitalista wrote: I think the next final release of antiX (not too far off) will be an advance of Lysistrata and probably more stable (not that Lysistrata was unstable, just had a few hiccups!)

Now, I need to think of a good release name for the next final!!
Frankly, antiX has come so far in acquiring its own identity that it ought to be getting written up more often at DistroWatch, no?