Polish Rifle
Hi all,

I'm done with Windows. In the last year I've converted to many Linux OS's such as Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Puppy Linux. I have a laptop with these specs:

- 1.2 Ghz processor
- 128 MB RAM
- Netgear Wireless card (this concerns me with Linux)

The few programs I like to use are:

- Opera Web Browser
- Pidgin Instant Messenger
- Open Office

I want to also be able to:

- Listen to library music
- Build websites using an editor
- Manage/edit images

Is antiX the distro that would be effective on my old laptop? Thanks
wingevil
sure
anticapitalista
Site Admin
128MB RAM might not be enough to run some of the apps like openoffice very well though.
antiX is a livecd so you can give it a try and see if it works well enough for you.
plvera
Hello:

I have Antix8 in an old (1999) Dell 7500 laptop, 700 MHz, 256 RAM. Antix runs great in that box, better than mint, or xubuntu. Open office 2.3 (or whichever number the previous version was) ran fine too, although a bit slow. I think OO 3.0 will be even slower, though I haven't tried it.

Abiword runs fine, and there's also a spreadsheet program in antix (not Open office) so you might get by without installing Open Office.

I hope it works for you.

Best,

Pedro
Polish Rifle
What if I ran antiX as is (no custom programs) with 128 MB RAM. Would it be fast?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It should be fairly fast.
The only way to know for sure is to try it out. The live cd will be slower than an installed antiX, but it should give you some idea if you really want to install antiX or not.

For example antiX runs better on an old laptop 500Mhz, 384MB RAM than an old desktop PIII 700Mhz with 512MB RAM. (not that it runs badly on the PIII)