topic title: WiFi Question....
DJiNN
I've got an intel chip on this laptop (But i can never remember the number). I thought that it may pick up the WiFi automatically, but doesn't seem to be doing so.

The chipset is 945 if that is any indicator. Can anyone tell me how i can get the wifi to work on this lappie? (If at all). Be kool if i could. __{{emoticon}}__

Many thanks.....

DJiNN
OU812
In a terminal, enter as root

iwconfig

and post the results (you could do"iwconfig &> results" then look in you home folder for the text file"results"; this will make posting the results easier.)

john
DJiNN
Hi John, thanks for the help.

Here's the results from iwconfig....

root@ZantiX:/home/djinn# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

So it doesn't even seem to be finding it in the first place. ??
DJiNN
I've just had a look in Synaptic and seen that it could be something to do with the 3945 drivers that are needed, but i'm not sure which ones to grab. Any ideas? Is there a command that i can run to find out exactly what hardware i have so that i can better choose what to install?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
When you boot, make sure you do not use the Xtralean cheatcode as it disables ipw3045d. ipw3945 is installed in preview1.
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:When you boot, make sure you do not use the Xtralean cheatcode as it disables ipw3045d. ipw3945 is installed in preview1.
Thanks for the heads up on that one anti. I've got it working now, seems that it needed the 3945d firmware and another package that comes with it. Once i installed that & re-ran the wifi setup, it picked it all up no problems. __{{emoticon}}__

Many thanks to both you & John for your help with this, it's much appreciated.... and boy, does this OS"FLY!!" It's amazing. It's really strange how fluxbox can look so sleek & cool on a 1680x1050 screen. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm having an"antiX Hacking" day! __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin

05 Apr 2008, 14:35 #7

And thank you. I just noticed that I hadn't in fact installed all the ipw3945 packages. Will be available in final/preview2.

Have a happy antiX-hacking day!
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:And thank you. I just noticed that I hadn't in fact installed all the ipw3945 packages. Will be available in final/preview2.

Have a happy antiX-hacking day!
Cheers anti, i will! __{{emoticon}}__