aliiosmannn
Hi Thanks for this distribution __{{emoticon}}__ , I have used ubuntu and debian but they dont run propperly on my old socket 370 celeron 900mhz 512mb ram. at the end of many google and bing searches I found MX-14; it supports old hardware perfectly __{{emoticon}}__ I try to configure a wifi hotspot on MX-14 for mobile devices android ios but at the end the network was down(after restart; in order to apply changes) and terminal does not recognize ifconfig __{{emoticon}}__

the source:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://seravo.fi/2014/create-wireless-access-point-hostapd"
linktext was:"http://seravo.fi/2014/create-wireless-a ... nt-hostapd"
====================================
(changes on conf. and other files made with leafpad instead of terminal )

I run those codes as root, commands are for ubuntu 14.4 but a little MX-14 linux experience was enough to deal with the differences

if u can help me to configure my old PC as hotspot I would be wery happy : __{{emoticon}}__

first I run apt-get update
Our example commands are for Ubuntu 14.04. You need to have access to install hostapd and dnsmasq Dnsmasq is a small DNS/DHCP server which we’ll use in this setup. To start simply run:

sudo apt-get install hostapd dnsmasq

After that you need to create and edit the configuration file:

zcat /usr/share/doc/hostapd/examples/hostapd.conf.gz | sudo tee -a /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

The configuration file /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf is filled with configuration examples and documentation in comments. The relevant parts for a simple WPA2 protected 802.11g network with the SSID ‘Example-WLAN‘ and password ‘PASS‘ are:

interface=wlan0
ssid=Example-WLAN
hw_mode=g
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=PASS
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK WPA-EAP WPA-PSK-SHA256 WPA-EAP-SHA256

Next you need to edit the network interfaces configuration to force the WLAN card to only run in the access point mode. Assuming that the access point network will use the address space 192.168.8.* the file /etc/network/interfaces should look something like this:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
address 192.168.8.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

Then we need to have a DNS relay and DHCP server on our wlan0 interface so the clients actually get a working Internet connection, and this can be accomplished by configuring dnsmasq. Like hostapd it also has a very verbose configuration file /etc/dnsmasq.conf, but the relevant parts look like this:

interface=lo,wlan0
no-dhcp-interface=lo
dhcp-range=192.168.8.20,192.168.8.254,255.255.255.0,12h

Next we need to make sure that the Linux kernel forwards traffic from our wireless network onto other destination networks. For that you need to edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf and make sure it has lines like this:

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

We need to activate NAT in the built-in firewall of Linux to make sure the traffic going out uses the external address as its source address and thus can be routed back. It can be done for example by appending the following line to the file /etc/rc.local:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.8.0/24 ! -d 192.168.8.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

Some WLAN card hardware might have a virtual on/off switch. If you have such hardware you might need to also run rfkill to enable the hardware using a command like rfkill unblock 0.

The same computer also runs Network Manager (as for example Ubuntu does by default) you need to edit it’s settings so that if won’t interfere with the new wifi access point. Make sure file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf looks like this:

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Now all configuration should be done. To be sure all changes take effect, finish by rebooting the computer.

If everything is working, a new WLAN network should be detected by other devices.
On the WLAN-server you’ll see similar output from these commands:

$ iw wlan0 info
Interface wlan0
ifindex 3
type AP
wiphy 0

$ iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

$ ifconfig
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f4:ec:38:de:c8:d2
inet addr:192.168.8.1 Bcast:192.168.8.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::f6ec:38ff:fede:c8d2/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5463040 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8166528 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:861148382 (861.1 MB) TX bytes:9489973056 (9.4 GB)
Dave
Would have to dig up my notes on how to manually do it, but here is a script that I have been using that seems to work well

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://github.com/oblique/create_ap"
linktext was:"https://github.com/oblique/create_ap"
====================================
aliiosmannn
Thanks Dave, I Have logged to bash as root but my machine says /usr/bın/create_ap: permıssıon denied as far as I know root must be able to write and change everything on system. problem occured when I get the create_ap script from git-hub, I have compıled it with make ınstall
Then I try to run thıs command"create_ap -m bridge wlan0 eth0 MyAccessPoint MyPassPhrase" and bash give the error.
is there a solution?
Dave
chmod 755 /usr/bin/create_ap
aliiosmannn
every thing works fine thanks, I need to find a way to auto start the ap and save my configuration; pass ssid channel but I will find a way, Thank you again
Dave
If you have system d the startup file is there, but IIRC to have it auto start with sysv you will need to make a script