topic title: Wicd at startup
OU812
I would like to configure wicd to start during the boot process so that when I login, it is already running and in my system tray. Any ideas? (I looked around the wicd interface, but couldn't find any such option.) Thanks.

john
eriefisher
I thought it was. I'm connected on boot. I see the wicd go by on screen while booting.
OU812
Well, I don't know why it works out of the box for you, but I was able to get the tray icon to appear after login by adding

Code: Select all

/opt/wicd/tray.py &
to ~/.fluxbox/startup. The next step is to figure out how to get it going during boot.

john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Do/did you use any boot cheatcodes?

Try
#/etc/init.d/wicd stop
#/etc/init.d/wicd start
OU812
Thanks. I did not use any cheatcodes. I also tried your codes for restarting wicd, but no permanent changes. It could be a borked install - I'm having issues with icewm so I'll try again. I also believe that I simply booted the cd and installed. Would it have been better if I had started wicd before installing? Thanks.

john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
wicd should start on boot. You should see the message just before startx takes you to the login screen
OU812
Oops - From an eriefisher post: access the drop-down menu for the appropriate network and check the box that says automatically connect... __{{emoticon}}__ Well, at least I learned how to get a tray icon out of the deal!

john