topic title: Why IceWM
Dynamo
Hi,

Is there any reason for AntiX to use IceWM instead of another Desktop Environment? BTW, what is the name of the Desktop Environment used in AntiX? Because IceWM I guess is just the Window Manager.

Thanks for any clarification.
plvera
plvera
As I understand it, there is no desktop environment. Antix comes with IceWM and also with Fluxbox. I also installed and run, most of the time, DWM (dynamic window manager) in my laptop and that works quite nicely. If you want to install a desktop environment (xfce, for example), then meta-installer (from the menu) can install that. There are other options as well with meta-installer, such as lxde.

I hope this helps.

Pedro
Dynamo
plvera wrote:If you want to install a desktop environment (xfce, for example), then meta-installer (from the menu) can install that. There are other options as well with meta-installer, such as lxde.
Just installed xfce4 and it screwed up completely X Server. Probably confusion in component updates that I don't understand well. Fortunately it was a virtual machine, I can recreate another one, nothing critical.
plvera
Dynamo:
I'm glad it was just a test system and nothing vital got trashed.

In this link they talk about installing xfce using synaptic. I hope this helps.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12931.html?hilit=xfce#p12931"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12931.h ... fce#p12931"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Good luck!

Pedro
Dynamo
So a Desktop Environment (DE) is not a requirement? If so then what does AntiX use to display a desktop, the wallpaper, the right click on the desktop, displaying the Start Menu, setting screen resolution, etc.?

In particular, and this is just for educational purpose, what is the reason for AntiX to go with IceWM and not LXDE ?
secipolla
I'm no expert but IceWM is very light, very easy to use and configure and quite configurable. This thread may have some tips:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/icewm-t696.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/icewm-t696.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

The start menu and the right-click menu are a feature of IceWM; the wallpaper changes are dealt by nitrogen (IceWM themes set only a fixed background image or color, I think); for desktop icons I think antiX comes with three options: rox pinboard, idesk and pcmanfm (I think LXDE uses this last) and setting screen resolution is with an app called grandr, I think.

A so called desktop environment aims to integrate a group of applications for 'desktop' use. That can be created by anyone if one takes the time to choose the apps and to try to integrate their functioning. The advantages of doing so is to be able to choose only the applications one wants or which are more fit for some purpose. antiX aim in this respect is mainly being lightweight as well as full featured. The window manager, like IceWM, is one of the pieces.

LXDE's goal I guess is basically the same but as a general view one would opt now for LXDE if one wants something preconfigured but then this person would have to stick with the apps LXDE chose.
FYI, LXDE's window manager is Openbox.
Last edited by secipolla on 17 Nov 2009, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
eriefisher
IceWM was not the first choice for anti. Fluxbox was there first and still is for anyone who chooses. It's also a very capable window manager and easy to use.

Desktop environments such as KDE and Gnome have built in apps for every use. You can of course use anything you want but you can not always remove the default because of tight integration.
macondo
Dynamo:
The object of antiX is to be lean and mean. Light apps and light window managers, the less bloat, the less RAM is needed, thus, the faster you'll move if you're using an old jalopy like yours truly. If on the other hand, you got the latest and 4 GB of RAM, then you will fly. If you like KDE and/or Gnome you can install that too, but for some people window managers is the way to go, as you gain experience in Linux you won't need all those helping apps that do things for you.

IceWM is very configurable, you can add icons and point and click to your heart's content. Or you can keybind and never use the mouse, you can use wallpapers and have birdies flying all over your desktop or you can be a hard-core geek, whatever. It all depends on your degree of prowess and what is confortable for you.

¿Capito?