jhsu
While version M8.5 does have improvements over version M8.2, I'm still sticking with M8.2.

The changes I liked in version M8.5 are the better menu system (the one in M8.2 is so convoluted) and the ability to change to the ROX desktop AND keep it at login.

However, there are things about version M8.5 that I don't like and made me think"They should have left well enough alone". These things are:
1. The default IceApe browser: I found it to be slow. I find Iceweasel to be so much faster. Unfortunately, switching to Iceweasel requires removing packages (which could mess up something else) and adding many more. I found it easier to just use M8.2 so that Iceweasel is the default. I think antiX Linux should go back to Iceweasel as the default. Those who prefer IceApe can still add it through the repository.
2. Support for the Linksys WPC54GS v1.1 wireless card: It worked in version M8.2 but not in version M8.5.

I find it easier to work around the flaws of version M8.2 than those of version M8.5. I hope the next version of antiX Linux can eliminate the flaws of both (like M8.5 but with Iceweasel and the drivers of M8.2 or like M8.2 but with the better menu and the easier access to ROX of M8.5). Two other changes that should be in the next version of antiX Linux are:
1. Include ScriptBlock and FlashBlock for the browser. Some of those bad scripts and animations not only freeze up my browser but the rest of the computer as well. I know it's available in the repository, but I think people new to Linux would appreciate this change. Having the browser and OS freeze up gives a bad first impression, even though Windoze has the same problem (and more). ScriptBlock and FlashBlock are MUCH lighter on resources than scripts and animations gone awry. Those who don't like the blocking features can easily disable them in the browser.
2. Make the ROX desktop standard. I just have to have my clickable icons, and many of the Windoze users antiX Linux wants to win over feel the same way. The ROX desktop is also very lightweight. (I think that's what allows Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux to offer those clickable icons.) Making ROX desktop standard would appeal to many first-time Linux users. Those who don't like ROX desktop can easily disable it at login.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the post and your thoughts jhsu.

One big disadvantage of antiX-M8.2 over antiX-M8.5 is keeping it fully upgraded. Unless you are very careful, a dist-upgrade will break it.

Now to your main points/suggestions.

1. As far as browser choice goes, I'll go with what the community here decides. I find iceweasel just as fast as iceape and with the advantage of it easily sets up localisation. Other users have suggested midori. Midori actually takes up more space than iceweasel and iceape, but for very low RAM boxes (128MB and less) it copes much better.

2. About that card, maybe it will work ok in the next version and maybe it can be made to work in 8.5 with the existing kernel or by installing a later one.

3. The latest test releases of antiX has Rox desktop as an option at boot and it carries over to install.
masinick
I was one of the ones advocating Iceape over Iceweasel. There were a couple of reasons for the recommendation. One was that Iceape included browsing, Email client, Chat, Address Book, and a Web page composer, yet has a memory footprint that is often smaller than Iceweasel. In the M8.2 version, at least for a while, Iceweasel was very defective, and I had a hard time keeping the browser up and running. I wasn't alone. The smxi script author, Harold Hope, known as h2, wrote a scathing documentary at one point, criticizing Iceweasel to the point that he claimed that it could"break your system". I've not seen that, but I have seen Iceape perform consistently better.

One factor that may be causing performance issues for you is if you happen to have the IPV6 parameter set to it's default value. Make sure that the network.dns.disableIPV6 configuration parameter in both Iceweasel and Iceape are set to true. You can do this in either browser by opening a tab and instead of a conventional URL, type in about:config. Then in the filter, type in ipv, and that ought to be enough to see the variable. Toggle it to TRUE if not already true, and I assert that you will see much better performance - if you have to change it.
plvera
Anti:

I do not share jhsu's concerns about 8.5. In fact, I think it boots faster and runs better in my boxes. However, I do have my work laptop still running 8.2 and I was concerned by your statement about 8.2 being easy to break. I considered switching this laptop to 8.5 but had misgivings since I have a lot of software installed and running well in 8.2. I should mention that in this laptop, I ONLY have stable repos open and it's been that way for several months (even prior to the release of 8.5).

So, my question is: how much should I worry about breaking 8.2? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.5 (and still keep it with only stable repos since I need this system to be rock solid)? Is there any advantage to switching to 8.5 if I'm only running stable repos?

thanks

Pedro
masinick
plvera wrote:Anti:

I do not share jhsu's concerns about 8.5. In fact, I think it boots faster and runs better in my boxes. However, I do have my work laptop still running 8.2 and I was concerned by your statement about 8.2 being easy to break. I considered switching this laptop to 8.5 but had misgivings since I have a lot of software installed and running well in 8.2. I should mention that in this laptop, I ONLY have stable repos open and it's been that way for several months (even prior to the release of 8.5).

So, my question is: how much should I worry about breaking 8.2? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.5 (and still keep it with only stable repos since I need this system to be rock solid)? Is there any advantage to switching to 8.5 if I'm only running stable repos?

thanks

Pedro
How are you with package management, Pedro? If you are fair to good, I would not worry about it. I'd consider disabling the MEPIS repositories and just setting the antiX repo and then set a Debian repo to a local mirror with good response and run with it. You ought to be able to get years out of it if you go that route.

Has it worked so far?
plvera
Thanks Brian.
Currently, only the Debian stable repos are open. No other. Seems to be working fine just doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Haven't had any problems.

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What kernel are you using Pedro?

If you try to do a dist-upgrade, udev needs a newer kernel than the one in 8.2.
Out of interest, what apps are not upgraded?
masinick
plvera wrote:Thanks Brian.
Currently, only the Debian stable repos are open. No other. Seems to be working fine just doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Haven't had any problems.

Pedro
That will be fine for a while until the current Debian stable changes. Do you literally have the repo set to stable or to Lenny? Note that if you have it set to stable, some things will change when Squeeze becomes stable. That is probably the most crucial time to be on the watch for potential issues.

When that day comes, you may want to have a kernel prepared, or you could do some research and some pre-emptive work in advance.
plvera
Anti:

System: Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8 Intifada! 12 February 2009

I did try to do a dist-upgrade a few days ago and I ran into problems with unmet dependencies that I could not fix with apt-get -f install, such as:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
bind9-host: Depends: libisc52 (= 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2) but it is not installed
libbind9-50: Depends: libisc52 (= 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2) but it is not installed
libdns55: Depends: libisc52 (= 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2) but it is not installed
libisccc50: Depends: libisc52 (= 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2) but it is not installed
libisccfg50: Depends: libisc52 (= 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2) but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

However, the system is still running well, so I haven't worried about it.

Brian:
Thanks for the warning. I'll keep it in mind when stable changes.

P.S. I don't mean to hijack jhsu's post so I'd be happy to start a new thread.