rocketron
I am new to Linux, I have tried most small distros and find Antix really fine for my Eeepc701 4g. I have spent days reviewing/ searching web pages for knowledge but stil cant get where i want to be. ( iam retired so the grey matter is slowing down too.)

i am beginning to understand the terminal input system .
I want to download and install tweakeee so I copy / paste the lines from their website; terminal then asks for my password . It rejects my logon password and i dont have another!.
also i dont know how/ where to amend the" noatime" to limit writes to the SSD which i have seen recommended for eeepc.
plvera
Hello rocketron and welcome to Antix:

It's best if you download a package and install it. You can use a terminal, for example, open a terminal, type su, hit enter, type password
and then do apt-get update apt-get install"package-name".

An easier alternative might be to run synaptic. Under control center>system>manage packages
then it will ask you for your password.
click on reload first (same as apt-get update)
and then click on search and type the name of the program you want, and if it finds it, mark it for installation and then apply. It will install the package. This might be easier to do than apt-get.

I hope this helps you. Post if you have any problems or other questions,

Regards,
Pedro
rokytnji
Howdy and Welcome rocketron. I guess I am finally not the only 701 AntiX user on the forum with a successful install.

for the noatime edit. From Menu left click on run. It should open gexec. Type in pcmanfm. Tick on the box to open as root.

You will be asked for password. Your root password should have been asked for and entered during your install of AntiX. Not sure why You are having trouble with password.

pcmanfm file manager should open after password is entered as root. You may see permission denied. Just hit the ok button. Then drill down to /etc/fstab. Right click and open with leafpad. You can edit fstab then for noatime.

When installing AntiX. Did you install as Ext3 file system or Ext2? For SSD drives. I advise installing as Ext2 file system and NO SWAP Partition.

Edit; How about you open a terminal for me and type in

Code: Select all

inxi -F
and post readout so I can look at your 701 also.
secipolla
When you install your system you choose two passwords. One for yourself that you use for login and one for root (the administrator) that you use for administrative tasks (like installing apps).
Those passwords can be the same and it's easier to remember if you have only one user account.
If you forgot your root password you will have to reset it (there are tutorials around on how to do that - basically booting a live-cd and doing some stuff - if I find one I post here).