topic title: Where do I Start?
differential
Hi I have downloaded and installed antix M8 and it seems to be running ok showing antix flux at the bottom right of the screen but the applications i am used to with other distros are missing.

I installed this because I am looking for a suitable distro for a Compaq M700 P3 256 MB RAM. I am currently running Xubuntu on another desktop computer I am using now, and have used Mint and Ubuntu and have previously used Puppy from version 1.07 on various machines so have had some experience with Linux but Antix seems a litle different though it looks the most promising distro so far for the laptop.

Am I right in assuming I have to install the aps I want? Do I need to do this from the command line? Could not find Synaptic. I would like to install the Opera browser and Abiword. Could be my problem is that I installed the base iso - about 258 MB?

Help to get me on track appreciated. Thanks
Russell
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You have installed the base version of antiX. If you want to keep it and install what you want, then go for it, but do realise that it means more work for you in setting it up how you like it.
To install abiword and synaptic.

Open a terminal, su to root user
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic abiword

To install opera, you need to remove the # in the opera deb line in /etc/apt/sources.list then (as root in a terminal)
apt-get update
apt-get install opera

Opera will not get automatically added to the fluxbox menu. You have to do this by hand.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Howto"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Howto"
====================================
_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... and_Tricks

Just post if you need help, and welcome to antiX.
plvera
Russell:
The full version of Antix comes with Abiword and other useful apps. It is also fully configured with synaptic and other systems tools that make it very easy to get the system going. You can then add other apps if you want.

I would consider trying out the full version (at least on livecd) and possibly installing it, rather than the base, since as Anticapitalista said, it will be a lot more work, and right now you just want to see how Antix works for your system.

Welcome to Antix and enjoy the distro!

Pedro
OU812
If you would prefer to have a solid base set of applications, you may want to consider getting the full version of antix instead (imo we have a much better base set of apps than xubuntu).

john