Snap
I want to have spacefm as my default file manager. I don't know if this is a bug or a default feature, but spacefm's behavior is fully irritating me (and Geany too). I want it to behave as in any other distro I use having spacefm onboard.

First, it opens a new home tab every time it launches. I want it to open just where I left it the last time. Just the very same tabs instead of adding a new one.

Second, and the truly irritating one. I don't want the user and root windows to track each other. I mean, I want them fully independent having their own tabs and bookmarks.

Where are those settings stored. Is it part of the session management? I need to disable them all before going crazy. And the same for geany. I want the user and root geanys independent and saving my own sessions (tabs) instead of the mess it's doing now.

Please, help me on this. It's driving me mad.
jdmeaux1952
To learn more about SpaceFM, go to Dolphin Oracle's YouTube channel and watch the videos.

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/JI3PMAPz8eY

You can change your windows manager to spacefm at login, or using the control center.
Snap
Thanks. But that's not what I'm asking about. I have quite a few experience with spacefm but something in antiX is making it work in a very annoying way (at least for me). Deleting the user configs didn't helped. It must be something about the session management but I'm not used to antiX and don't know where those settings reside.
dolphin_oracle
there is nothing in desktop-session that controls spacefm's configuration except to launch the spacefm desktop if that is your wm choice. all of the spacefm configuration is in ~/.config/spacefm and / etc/spacefm

Interestingly, I just did a fresh install, and spacefm is working as you say you want. If I open a set of three tabs, those tabs are reopened on the next launch (and when I have three that do not include HOME, HOME isn't reopened). and my root spacefm does has seperate settings.

How are you launching spacefm? Have you made any modifications in the spacefm gui settings or added any commandline switches in the .desktop entries? For instance, there is a save tabs setting in the file menu that if its unselected, then everytime you launch it will launch with the Home folder. Adding -n to the commandline will achieve a similar result. if you launch spacefm folder then by default spacefm should open with the previous tabs and folder in a new tab.

If you are a spacefm aficionado, then you know there is a dizzying array of customizations possible. We just need to figure out where yours have differed from the defaults (and maybe why if you haven't made any changes)
skidoo
my session is"fluxbox" (not"fluxbox+spacefm", in case that matters).
Alt+F2, type"spacefm", click.
spacefm opens displaying all the tabs I had open last use.

If I leave this first instance running and, again, Alt+F2, type"spacefm", click...
then change the number/path of tabs, and close this second spacefm instance
...an immediate repeat (clicking Alt+f2 blahblah again) correctly (er, as expected) restores tabs per most recent instance.
I wasn't even aware we could make it behave differently (the tab, or set of tabs, displayed each launch) except by passing it args on commandline when launching.

wondering: Does"spacefm -d" (session = wm+spaceFM) behave differently?

==========

Geany, in antix15, initially may be exhibiting behavior unfamiliar to you because:

To facilitate"edit startup configuration files" and similar tasks, antix controlCentre launches geany file1 file2 file3 etc
and, among the default geany preferences,"reopen files used last time" is ticked.
Snap
Really? there's no session management? Wow, so i must have something wrong with sudo ot gksu. because both regular user or a root window (either launched from an user window or via gksu) behave as the same thing, But sometimes geany complains that cannot open files from root windows. Also Geany has issues with this. I can edit some files under / etc directly with an user geany session without password or anything. While some others doesn't. Really weird. No idea about how to face this problem.

I use a fluxbox only session. No spacefm daemon. If you use it very often (almost always running) as it's my case, a daemon has no benefit. In any case in fluxbox systems (like this, or vsido, etc...) you won't tell a performance of speed difference anyway. I tried both methods and it makes no noticeable difference. Once an instance is running the RAM usage matches in both cases. I'll start deleting all the spacefm configs including / etc and /bin/share and let's see it anything changes.
Snap
""If you are a spacefm aficionado, then you know there is a dizzying array of customizations possible. We just need to figure out where yours have differed from the defaults (and maybe why if you haven't made any changes)""

It all started from the very beginning right after a fresh install, that's why I though it was a default. and struggled to change it without success. Haven't changed much. just tried the ways of launching it. But I'm afraid the problem lives in a different territory.
dolphin_oracle
hmmm... our gksu defaults to sudo authentication, and it remembers that you have logged in for a while (10 minutes?). You can change this to root user authentication in the control center.

By default, spacefm does not have the"Edit as root" option in the menu enabled. You can launch a file directly from the root window, but the edit as root right-click option needs to have a root editor defined in the spacefm preferences.

as to your permissions issue in / etc, I'm at a loss. Did you make any modification to the suders.d/antixers file (I'm guessing no since you said it was a fresh install, but I thought I'd ask).