fullmetalgerbil
I'm just wondering about the right way to upgrade AntiX. I had a bit of experience doing a dist-upgrade with Sidux and I'd like to know if I should follow the same procedure or if I can simply apt-get dist-upgrade from runlevel 5 with AntiX without borking my system.
Also, what would I have to change, if anything, in my /etc/apt/sources.list to be able to basically be upgraded to AntiX 8.2, I tried just installing 8.2 but had major problems with GRUB (i.e. the installation just would not boot) so I figured 8.0 and upgrade.
Thanks in advance.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
There is a script that will upgrade antiX-M8 to antiX-M8.2
Download it to your home folder, make it executable and run in a root terminal

#./antiX-upgrader3.sh

Here is the file:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/antiX-upgrader8.0-8.2/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/antiX-upgrader8.0-8.2/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Do make sure that the repos are working properly. Any timeouts will have negative consequences.
fullmetalgerbil
I tried saving antix-upgrader3.sh to my home directory but it would not save. I click save, nothing appears in my home directory.
Also if it would have saved I don't really know how to make it executable (chmod -x antix-upgrader3.sh ?) nor really how to run it since I've never had the occaision to actually run a script eventhough I've been using Linux for like 19 months now. It's still a gaping noob hole in my knowledge roof so to speak.
fullmetalgerbil
Ok, I got it in my home directory. Also, I happened to notice that you showed me how to run it (duh, on my part!). Now I just need to figure out how to make it executable.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
open terminal>sux>type in root passwd>rox
navigate to your script>right click>properties
look at the bottom of the box and set your permissions as you want.

cheers,
oldhoghead
fullmetalgerbil

30 Jul 2009, 22:21 #6

Got it, thanks, though I just ran
#chmod a+x
to give it permission. The script is humming along nicely.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
fullmetalgerbil

Let us know what happens.
If any of the repos time out, then you'll need to run the script again (or parts of it)

If all seems well, then there are 2 things you will need to do to get it 100%.

1. In /usr/share/antiX/antiX/localisation/en (I presume you are using English) you will need to
copy over antixcc-en.sh, antixccfirewall-en.sh and exitantix-en.sh to /usr/local/bin
and the files in fluxbox and icewm folders to your /home/username/ (hidden) fluxbox and icewm folders.
, then re-name them menu, toolbar.

2. In /etc/modprobe.d all the files should have the suffix .conf except arch-aliases eg alsa-base.conf. If they haven't, rename them.

Logout/login to a new menu and a new antiX Control Centre
plvera
Anti:
I just ran the upgrader script and everything seemed to work just fine. I went to copy over the control center, etc, scripts, however, the directory you point to in the previous message is not in my system. I did a search for"anticc-en.sh" and the only copy is in /usr/local/bin/antiX/localization/en with a date of 7/30/09.

Did I miss something?
thanks.
Pedro