Britster
Hi there, my name is David.

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 40XCDT, that I used regularly over 10 years ago and was 'state of the art' back then and had a list price of GBP2,000. It is PII366 and [/i] It is currently running 'Windows 98SE'. It just seems too slow to boot up, and slows down to a crawl, if opening multiple tabs. Additional RAM would no doubt help as it has 64MB RAM built in, and 64MB module installed, giving 128MB RAM total. (I am considering buying a 128MB module, US$10, to replace the 64MB, then would have 192MB total).

Whilst I used to be familiar with Unix on Sun Sparc workstations, for some Management Systems, and had a go with installing RedHat Linux over 10 years ago, not had any hands on since then.

I was initially considering 'XP Lite' if I had 192MB RAM installed, but feel I might get faster boot time and better performance from a Linux Distro. One that is suited to older laptops with just PII366 and 128MB RAM and 6GB HDD.

From the searches I have done, seems that having 128MB RAM rules out the full Linux Distros, but I came across Puppy Linux that looks good. Having download the latest Pup431.iso and created a Live CDRom. I was having trouble getting it to work, but creating a Swapfile sorted that out.

My initial review is that Puppy Linux is a very comprehensive package with lot of features included, and extremely easy to install and use.

However I came across a search for Linux on old laptops, and 'Antix' was suggested as being suitable for PII366 with 128MB RAM and small OS size.

Can someone please confirm if their is a particular version of 'Antix' I could download and set up as 'Live CD' to evaluate how it compares to Puppy Linux?

Happy New Year 2010,

Cheers,
David.
rokytnji
Not sure if it will work for you but my IBM 390 E PII, 128mb, Laptop runs AntiX 8.2 Ok, even wireless with Belkin F5D 7010 ver. 6 PCMCIA Wireless G card.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/antix/antiX-M8.2.iso"
linktext was:"ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/antix/antiX-M8.2.iso"
====================================

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/antix/antiX-M8.2.md5sum"
linktext was:"ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/antix/ ... 8.2.md5sum"
====================================

your processor and ram specs match mine. So that shouldn't be a problem.
Can't speak for rest of toshiba hardware though.

Edit: I made a 712 mb swap partition also (while running live) before install using Gparted so as to make the graphical installer not strain during install also.

I had to add

Code: Select all

acpi=force
before booting live cd and also after install I had to add it to kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst also so as to get that old lappy and bios to shut down all the way also.Happy New years to you to and Good luck with it. __{{emoticon}}__