anticapitalista
Site Admin
For antiX users using sid repo and kde or kde apps, be very careful when upgrading.
Read the messages carefully and if any kde4 package is to be installed, it is probably best not to install at this moment and wait.

Also it would be a good idea to check the sidux forum for any warnings. (don't post there for antiX help though)

As an example, this is what I get on my antiX-sid with some kde apps not kde desktop:

Code: Select all

root@antiX-M8:/home/antiX# agd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  exiv2 htdig kaboom kde-icons-oxygen kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdelibs-bin kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data
  khelpcenter4 libclucene0ldbl libexiv2-4 libkcddb4 libphonon4 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 phonon phonon-backend-gstreamer
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins libncurses5 libncursesw5 ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term python-support traceroute
8 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 93.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 168MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
masinick
Thanks for the heads up. I have not been updating sidux as often because I did not like those stupid"you will need .conf config file in the future..." warnings. I do have a 2.6.29-1 kernel now, and I saw the note to expect KDE 4 sometime at the beginning of the month. I think I will let them sort it out a bit before I go there, but I will make sure to have xfce, lxde, and IceWM on my sidux system - just in case! __{{emoticon}}__

As far as antiX goes, I mostly use IceWM with a bit of Fluxbox thrown in occasionally, so this doesn't register for antiX, even on my Sid variant that I keep lying around.
eriefisher
I'm seeing XFCE 4.6 in the sid repos as well. I haven't tried to upgrade yet though. h2 has a warning at the moment so I think I will hold of a day or so.
masinick
eriefisher wrote:I'm seeing XFCE 4.6 in the sid repos as well. I haven't tried to upgrade yet though. h2 has a warning at the moment so I think I will hold of a day or so.
I did something not too long ago with XFCE on one of my systems, and there was some kind of mismatching; I believe it may have been in a few of the XFCE meta-packages. I think I removed them, but I cannot remember for certain. I am marking time for a while to see if some of the issues I have been seeing will be resolved fairly soon, and in the meantime, I'm just sticking with what I have, which is working perfectly.
masinick
I wrote a note at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=125149#125149"
linktext was:"The USALUG"
====================================
that points to the sidux KDE 4 HOWTO documentation, and what sidux is recommending that you do if you want to upgrade from KDE 3.5 rather than wait for the next sidux release, which will include KDE 4. If you want to view the sidux article directly instead of reading my comments on it first, visit
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://sidux.com/Article501.html"
linktext was:"the sidux article"
====================================
instead.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
I did the upgrade to KDE 4, and I must say, there are still lots of glitches, I am not too impressed with 4 so far, guess I will stick to fluxbox and icewm. This was on a clean sidux install per the upgrade article, all went well, but could not look in my home directory and there seem to be many missing pieces. Better to wait for the next release when a lot of issues are ironed out.

cheers,
oldhoghead
masinick
oldhoghead wrote:I did the upgrade to KDE 4, and I must say, there are still lots of glitches, I am not too impressed with 4 so far, guess I will stick to fluxbox and icewm. This was on a clean sidux install per the upgrade article, all went well, but could not look in my home directory and there seem to be many missing pieces. Better to wait for the next release when a lot of issues are ironed out.

cheers,
oldhoghead
That has been my thinking too; fine to test it for those of us who have test partitions or VM, but not ready for every day use yet. When sidux releases it I am sure it will be ready then. Interestingly enough, both of their desktops, XFCE and KDE are undergoing heavy changes right now. It could be longer than usual before sidux releases their next quarterly update, based on the issues in Sid right now!
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Brian,

I agree, there is a lot going on right now very easy to boink your system if your not careful.
BTW, how is the job hunting going? Hope you have found something interesting and profitable!

cheers,
oldhoghead
masinick
oldhoghead wrote:Brian,

I agree, there is a lot going on right now very easy to boink your system if your not careful.
BTW, how is the job hunting going? Hope you have found something interesting and profitable!

cheers,
oldhoghead
Yes to both. I have a job with Dealer Centric, the"Get Pre-Approved in Seconds" technology for auto dealer Web pages to kick up their sales; straight commission for me, so I have to sell to make money. Starting off cold selling is tough, but it is a good technology. With some experience and persistence I will get some sales.

I have good stuff on my systems right now so I am not doing any updates at all. If I see some big security update I will update; other than that I will play it conservative for a change and for a while. I already have sid so I am pretty current.
masinick
I now have KDE 4.2.2 running on three of my systems with sidux. I gave it some time to allow h2 to work out the kinks, and when I upgraded, it all went well. Also, XFCE is now at 4.6.1, at least with some packages. There are still a few"mismatches" in packages, but smxi has been managing them. XFCE 4.6 is perhaps more impressive than KDE in some ways; major speed improvements can be seen in XFCE, the best responsiveness since the V4 series first came out, but not as swift as the older (but uglier) V3.8 XFCE series.

I'd give both KDE and XFCE the thumbs up with sidux, as long as you use smxi to migrate to the changes.
eriefisher
Have you had any issues with xfce4.6? Since upgrading I cannot shut down via the menu, all options take me back to slim. All of the key combos don't work either, custom or default.
masinick
eriefisher wrote:Have you had any issues with xfce4.6? Since upgrading I cannot shut down via the menu, all options take me back to slim. All of the key combos don't work either, custom or default.
I hadn't noticed an issue, but I can try it out and get back to you.
eriefisher
Let me know.
masinick
eriefisher wrote:Let me know.
With sidux and XFCE the features work fine. I noticed that even Suspend works, but curiously, Hibernate does not. But logout, reboot, and Halt all work perfectly.

A while back, on one of my antiX instances the Halt and Reboot functions were not working correctly. Upon investigation, I found it was that one of the Debian packages that provides the halt, reboot, and shutdown commands was removed for some reason. I found the package, added it, and the functions worked once again. You may want to look into that possibility too.

The packages slipped out when I wasn't looking at packaging closely enough, apparently. easy to fix once you find it.
masinick
Ah, yes, I remember the issue now. Initscripts is the Debian package that manages halt, reboot, and shutdown. Mepis-init is the MEPIS version; these files are at odds with one another. Ironically, I doubt if they do much, if anything at all, differently. Pick one of them and make sure that one of the two is correctly installed, depending on your needs. Anyway, halts and reboots work for me in the new XFCE version.