fatmac
I've had a couple of 2GB SD cards lying around for a while now.

I've been wanting to use them to boot up so that I can just use the internet with a web browser.

I don't need much else on a computer for browsing, but a normal installation, even using base was too big, (but I didn't want to start from core.)

So eventually I got around to trying out the antiX2usb that's hidden away in the Control Centre, & low & behold, that is exactly what I was needing. __{{emoticon}}__

It took a few goes to get it set up how I wanted, but that was just down to me not being familiar with it, as it now works a treat. __{{emoticon}}__
chrispop99
Not many machines can boot from a built in SD card slot. (In fact I only know of one.)

Are you doing this by using a USB card reader, effectively creating a USB drive?

Chris
rokytnji
My old eeepc's would boot off of sd card SLOT with no problem.

Check out installation tips on the main site. I show making bootable antix sd cards that ran on my eeepc before I sold them.
I used the internal ssd for stock Xandros and the sd slot for running AntiX.

My newer Samsung, Dell and IBM laptops also. My M&A companion netbooks will boot off of sd slot also.
The non touchscreen and touchscreen models. Bios allows it.

The only laptop/netbook I know where the bios locked one out of sd card booting was the Acer Aspire One ZG5.

Which is ancient gear also. I know because I gave my father-n-law mine.
chrispop99
As well as BIOS configuration, the ability or otherwise to boot from SD depends on what the card reader is connected to. Some are connected to to the USB bus, some to PCI.

My Thinkpad T61 and my Dell E6430 machines will not boot from SD. My old Dell Mini 10v will.

Chris
fatmac
chrispop99 wrote:Not many machines can boot from a built in SD card slot. (In fact I only know of one.)

Are you doing this by using a USB card reader, effectively creating a USB drive?

Chris
I have a Nova N1 netbook that boots from an SD card, & I was wanting to do this on it, & now have. __{{emoticon}}__

I also have an Asus EeeBox that can boot from sd cards.

But I agree, none of my other computers can. __{{emoticon}}__