topic title: Wallpaper switching
loukingjr
Hi, new to anti-x and sorry if this is answered somewhere. I switched wallpapers from the default pic of a lake to first the bezul (sp) to the dark grey I forget the name of(sorry) lol. Anyway, when I boot or restart, I see first the original default, then the first one I picked, then the last one I picked, and they switch between them a couple times before it stops at the one I want. Can I fix it so it just boots or restarts to the one I want?

and be gentle, I'm not very Linux savvy
OU812
The window manager themes in antix are set up to use a particular wallpaper. So what you are seeing is a battle between the theme configuration and the wallpaper app configuration. To help things out, you can edit the theme configuration. Open a terminal. Enter sux. Then enter your password. Then enter pcmanfm. Use pcman to navigate to /usr/share/icewm/themes. Open the folder of the theme you want to edit. Then right click on the file default.theme and choose open with leafpad. Edit these lines to look like this (they're near the end):

Code: Select all

DesktopBackgroundImage =""
DesktopBackgroundColor =""
Then save and resart icewm (option at end of"start" menu).

HTH.

john
loukingjr
OU812 wrote:The window manager themes in antix are set up to use a particular wallpaper. So what you are seeing is a battle between the theme configuration and the wallpaper app configuration. To help things out, you can edit the theme configuration. Open a terminal. Enter sux. Then enter your password. Then enter pcmanfm. Use pcman to navigate to /usr/share/icewm/themes. Open the folder of the theme you want to edit. Then right click on the file default.theme and choose open with leafpad. Edit these lines to look like this (they're near the end):

DesktopBackgroundImage =""
DesktopBackgroundColor =""
Then save and resart icewm (option at end of"start" menu).

HTH.

john
thanks, it still flashes once between the now plain blue background and the wallpaper I set. but is much better.

thanks again
secipolla
You can set the wallpaper you're using in the default.theme file

DesktopBackgroundImage ="/usr/share/Wallpaper/theimageyouuse.png"
I don't like that flashing too but it's a consequence of antiX trying to make things simpler for the user. You can open the Control center > Edit Icewm Settings, go to 'startup' tab and comment the following lines:

#rm $HOME/.config/nitrogen/bg-saved.cfg
#ln -s $HOME/.config/nitrogen/bg-saved-icewm.cfg $HOME/.config/nitrogen/bg-saved.cfg 
#nitrogen --restore &
what the above lines do is stick when the desktop starts to whatever wallpaper you choose but that causes that flashing. You still can change walpapers as you like in Control center > Set Background Image if you comment the lines above but when you want them to stick you'll have to edit the default.theme file inside the folder of the theme you're using.
To see which Icewm theme you're using and to change them, open the menu > settings > themes (I'm not sure, I'm not in Icewm now). antiX comes by default set to AntiX Blue Icewm theme.
Last edited by secipolla on 22 Nov 2009, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
it dawned on me I could just replace the original wallpaper with the one I liked after John was nice enough to point out where to make changes. setting the slim background to match helps also. I do appreciate the help. Not use to getting so into the"nuts and bolts" of an OS. I already found one nasty quirk after updating a lot of files. took me awhile to find how to fix it. is good to learn though, right? lol