jhsu
I'm running VirtualBox in host OS antiX Linux.

How do I share files between the host OS and the guest OS? When I go to Devices -> Install Guest Additions, nothing happens. I think I'm supposed to install a package called linux-headers-generic, but I can't find it in Synaptic.

Can anyone please give me a quick-and-dirty set of instructions on how to do this?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You need the correct linux-headers for the kernel installed.
You also need to install the guest additions files.

Best way to do this in antiX is using the (already installed) svmi script.
#svmi
and follow instructions. Use the non-free version of VB.
jhsu
Which option am I supposed to choose?

Please type the appropriate number and hit enter
------------------------------------------------------------------
1) virtualbox-options 4) build-vbox-module-non-ose
2) vmware-options 5) build-vmplayer-module
3) build-vbox-module-ose 6) quit

And what else do I need to do?
jhsu
I have antiX Linux as the host OS.

The directory containing the files I'd like to be accessible to the host OS and guest OS is /home/jhsu/jhsu-virtualbox/share_test within the host OS.

I already have installed the guest OS on the virtual hard drive.

All I'm asking is to be able to access files in the /home/jhsu/jhsu-virtualbox/share_test from the guest OS. That's simple enough, but the process is so convoluted.

The first place where I run into problems is installing guest additions. When I go to Devices -> Install Guest Additions, nothing seems to happen. How do I know if the guest additions have been properly installed?

And if I use the svmi, what options am I supposed to choose?

It sounds like the above two procedures are mutually exclusive - that I'm supposed to do one but not both. Which one is better?
Stuart O'mahony
There are two licenses for Virtualbox, OSE and PUEL:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions"
linktext was:"http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions"
====================================

You will want to build a module dependent on which of the licensed versions you have installed, either then, option 4 (PUEL), or 3 (OSE). PUEL is non-free, i.e non-ose. (you don't get USB support with OSE!)

I've only ever downloaded and installed direct from the virtualbox site, so don't know what version you have, or even if there was a version option via a repository install?