THX1138
When I enter a virtual console by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1, the left edge of the console goes off the left of the screen and I can't see the all of the characters there. Is there any way to control this? I cannot adjust my monitor because the controls are damaged but this is not a problem in most situations because it auto-adjusts. For some reason, it does not auto-adjust in the virtual console. Thanks.
skidoo
(i don't know, am curious to hear)
Does the xrandr commandline mentioned in this linked page solve your problem?

»"How do you compensate for overscanning in linux?" 
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145639"
linktext was:" https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145639"
====================================
THX1138
This computer has one VGA port which I am using. Is the correct command

Code: Select all

xrandr --output vga --set underscan on
?

When I do that, I get error:"...'t open display" which I guess is"can't open display".
BitJam
It is unlikely that xrandr will help with in the virtual consoles.  

TL;DR: We do have a solution for the virtual consoles using fbcondecor.  It adds a background image and offsets the text from the edges of the screen.  It is enabled by default on the live system but it might not be enabled on an installed system   Also, you will need to use one of the antiX kernels for it to work.  I've attached screen shot showing what the background image looks like.

I wrote detailed instructions but tapatalk won't let me post them.   The short answer is to get fbcondecor working.  It may be easier to play around with this on the live system.  You can boot directly to a virtual console and get logged in as root with the cheats"fdb+  3".  If your native resolution is in the"F7 Console" boot loader menu then select it, otherwise select"ask" and then select the highest resolution from the text menu that appears right after you leave the boot loader.     The key cheats are"splash=v" and"vga=xxx" where xxx is a code specifying the resolution.   Others can probably help you with this.

Once you get a background image working for the resolution you want and if you still need more of a margin then use splash-select to choose the"default" theme or a theme of your choice and edit the file:

/etc/splash/$THEME/$RESOLUTION.cfg.  
The tx= parameter changes the left margin of the text and the tw= parameter changes with width of  the text area.  Please write down the resolution and the new tx and tw values.
BitJam
I added an"edit" feature to splash-select.  Press the 'e' key to edit the current theme.   Download the attached tarball and then:

tar xzf splash-select-edit-01.tgz
sudo ./splash-select
You can use this to change themes and to edit the current theme.