fullmetalgerbil
I'm running AntiX M8.2 and need to use a usb wireless dongle for internet, just wondering what the support level is with AntiX for such devices. I'll be using a Belkin 802.11 G. Is there native support with the current kernel, and if not will I be able to find drivers anywhere?
Thanks.
secipolla
I don't know about the support but in antiX it's very easy to add a new kernel (up to 2.6.31.6) booting to level 3 and running the command smxi
eriefisher
What's the model? This will tell us which driver and where.
fullmetalgerbil
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I have extremely limited 'net access until I get this damn wireless key working.
Actually, I did find and install the drivers no prob. I configurated the device and I get a wireless signal showing up on Wicd. However, when I try to connect I get an error message that reads"Failed to connect: unable to obtain IP address". This I know is screwed up because my roomate connects with the same dongle on his Windows machine-to the same signal-and it obtains an IP no problem.
So I'm thinking there's some type of setting in wicd, or one of the other network tools, I have to adjust. But I don't know what. I tried doing it listing the IP (that I copied off the Windows machine) as static and using global DNS, but it still didn't work. I've been going at this for like a week and I really, REALLY don't want to have to pollute my box with a Windows installation just so I can go online.
As it is I cant usually get online until 2 in the morning every few days, but I'll check back here as often as I can and any help would be massively appreciated.
rokytnji
Try
Open Wicd Network Manager program, click preferences menu then under the external programs tab change DHCP Client from automatic to dhclient.
Other possible solution is to use rutilt (no wpa only wep), Mepis network or ceni.
fullmetalgerbil
Tried changing DHCP client from automatic to dhclient in Wicd, made no difference, still says it could not retrieve IP address and will not connect. rutilt also does not work, don't know where to find Mepis network or ceni.
Did attempt to check wpa_supplicant file, via a WPA application but file could not be found by program. However numerous wpa_supplicant entries appear in a search. I don't know if wpa_supplicant has anything to do with my particular problem, however someone had told me it does. I don't know.
secipolla
Ceni is in the Control Center > Network tab >Configure Network Devices (you may find it in IceWM's menu under 'Network' too).
Mepis Network is in Control Center > Network tab > Manage Network Devices.

- for the WPA Supplicant issue I can't tell anything, I don't have wireless.
fullmetalgerbil
Ok, I'm familiar with those it turns out. I've tried them, and though ceni configured the device and everything I still can't connect. I'll try them again, however things are coming down to the wire-or wireless, as the pun may be-and after going on two weeks of trying to get the internets on my box via this Belkin wireless key (my only option at present), I'm afraid I might have to downgrade to a different distro or, gag, Windows, just so I can go online. Which I really do not want to to because I'm crazy about antiX since it runs better than any other disrto, save Slackware which is about equal, on my hardware.
So I guess I'll give things a few more days and backup my data for a new installation just in case. But if anybody has an idea about what I have to do to connect wirelessly with this dang dongle I'd love to hear it.
secipolla
I don't know if it will make any difference but antiX 8.5-beta has the brand new 2.6.32 mepis kernel.
fullmetalgerbil
I don't think it's a kernel issue per se, though if I knew for sure that the new kernel gave"out of the box" support to my device then I'd go with installing the beta. However, I don't think it's a kernel thing with what I'm running now-I just can't connect. I have the right driver in the right place, Wicd reads the network I'm trying to connect to it just says"unable to obtain IP address" when I try to connect-while on the other hand the Windows machine here, using the same usb wireless dongle, connects straightaway and displays the networks IP address automagically.
I'm not being like"well, windows can do it why not AntiX" or any nonsense like that, I'm just trying to illustrate that the problem isn't with the network or anything like that.