topic title: USB stick
andrea
Please tell me how to mount a USB stick.
I may have left out a critical step or some thing like that.
I've tried using the Control Center > Mount a connected Device, but no go on that.
__{{emoticon}}__ Thanks!
A
plvera
Here's a link that might help

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/15776-how-mount-usb-flash-drives-linux.html"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... linux.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Haven't tried it in AntiX though. Good luck!

Pedrdo
eriefisher
Open a terminal and as root do:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
This will tell you if the stick is recognized. You can try it with and without it connected to compare output. The stick should show up under /media.

If pmount is not working for you you could install pcmanfm. The stick will show up in the left side pane, click to open and right click to unmount. It's actually a very good file manager.
OU812
Plug it in. Go to control center > hardware > mount a connected device. Now from the right-click menu choose"media." Your newly mounted devices should show up as blue folders with green circles. Click one of those. For example, I have two hard drives, sda and sdb. So my usb stick shows up as sdc.

john
andrea
Control Center>Mount a Connected Device then went to /media and found the USB stick.
Thank You!

Ahh it was /media/sdc ! (a different stick showed up as sdb).

Now if I could unmount the stick,that would be great ... unmount: command not found (while being root) __{{emoticon}}__
So I just ripped it out __{{emoticon}}__
This is a 10 year old Systamax laptop with only one USB port, so it is a bit of bother to switch.
Last edited by andrea on 09 Nov 2008, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Open rox as root user, navigate to /media and right click on your usb device, choose unmount option.

You might be able to get pcmanfm filer to work better for mounting/unmounting usb devices without having to use root.
eriefisher
"umount" not unmount.
andrea
Please tell me how to"Open rox as root user"
I can su root in the terminal ok
Thanks __{{emoticon}}__
andrea
I've got spelling errors!
Thank you
Be back in awhile...spouse bugging me!
andrea
"UMOUNT"
it worked! __{{emoticon}}__
spelling counts
Thank you!
eriefisher
Alway check spelling and syntax, there is a test at the end.
OU812
To launch rox or any gui app as root, open a terminal, enter"sux," and then your root password. Then enter the name of the app, such as"rox."

john
mariel77
Just an FYI - using su and password has been working for me to open rox and leafpad as root in a terminal. I haven't used sux in a long time.