HLA91
Hi all

I just installed AntiX 7.5 on my old laptop Pentium 3 256 RAM and I love it.

The Laptop only has 1 USB port, and my only internet connection is through a Belkin USB - Ethernet Adapter which works fine, just popped it in and away to go. My 4GB USB stick works fine as well.

I have a belkin USB hub (4 ports) which I have used on Xubuntu and Ubuntu and it work’s fine but when I connect it up to the laptop the light comes on but the USB stick or the USB-Ethernet adapter just don’t work. I have tried"Mount Connected Devices" but its just seems to take for ever"Trying to mount" all these different things.

Does anyone have any ideas to what I can do?

Many thanks

HLA91
eriefisher
There shouldn't be anything about antix that would prevent the hub from working. If the devices work fine when plugged directly as you mentioned I would suspect the hub itself maybe faulty. Do you have another system to test it on or do you have access to another hub to confirm it's not an issue with antix?
rokytnji
I have a belkin USB hub (4 ports) which I have used on Xubuntu and Ubuntu and it work’s fine
Not that I can be a lot of help to you in this, but is the belkin a PCMCIA 4 port hub and if so What model Number. You might need the firmware to operate it maybe.
OU812
From my experience, 7.5 was a little flaky with usb devices. However, M8 works flawlessly thus far with usb devices. I suggest installing the latest iso instead.

john
HLA91
I will download and install Antix 8, and in regards to rokytnji post, its a hub that actually goes into a usb port, a usb powered usb hub so no drivers should be necessary. Ill check back later with results.

Cheers

HLA91
HLA91
I installed AntiX 8 but still no joy with the USB hub. I also tried my 7 port usb hub and it lights up but nothing working, I tried"mounting connected devices" but its just checking /dev/fd0 **** the asterix represent some other words which come after it, msdos was one of them.

Does anyone have any ideas because its annoying not being able to have my usb stick connected alongside the internet?

Many thanks

HLA91
rokytnji
Like I said earlier, I might not be of much help to you. What I do when I get stuck on something believe it or not is I look through Gentoos Manual Pages and more often than not I find my solution there. Somebody else might come up with a better solution but this is the best I can do for you.
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml"
linktext was:"http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
HLA91
Thanks, appreciate the help i'll see what happens
mariel77
Do you have a usb hub that uses AC power (from the wall, I mean) and not power from another usb port?
I had trouble with a usb hard drive - it kept trying to mount - the drive light kept flashing. It was a voltage issue at the usb port on my laptop; the drive worked fine in my desktop. When trying to figure out what to do with my drive, I read that some devices that get power from another usb port sometimes don't work.

Also I installed thunar and thunar-volman to mount it; it worked better than rox or the antiX Control Center. pcmanfm also seems to mount usb devices for me.