anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have opened a thread for misharum's question:

quick question: I've done a search with no luck, but what I'd like to do is have a usb hard drive install that a) I can run the kind of config that normally boots up with a live cd or b) I can configure to use with multiple (3 or 4) computers. Does anyone know if this is possible?

misharum
eriefisher
eriefisher
First this is that the computer must be able to boot from usb. After that I suppose using one of the scripts to install antiX such as the one Lagopus has should work to install it to the drive. If the computer is set to boot usb first and the drive is attached the you should be able to run it at least live.

For a full install you would need to put grub in the mbr of the usb drive and make sure you list the drive as sd0/hdo as the first device OR boot by label. Any computer should see the label but this would have to be done at the time of formatting(otherwise you lose the label). I think using uuid should work as well.

It would be worth a try to boot the live disc with the usb drive attached and install it to the usb drive. With grub in it's mbr it should work anywhere.