Auzern
Its been quite a while since I have been using AntiX.
Today I wanted to install the nvidia graphics card and so I did from the synaptic pack but it could find the xserver-common files so I just ignored it. Now that I boot up, after it loads up everything in the startup boot screen it is just showing me the the terminal based login (no GUI like original AntiX).
So I login with my Username and Password, and I still see the Terminal based interface. I want complete GUI. Please help me with this. When I type startx after logging in, I see this:-

Code: Select all

exec: 3: /usr/bin/X: notfound
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error
How can I get my previous original AntiX Mepis interface?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try logging in as root then
apt-get update
apt-get install xinit.

BTW which version of antiX are you using?

inxi -F will show you.
Auzern
anticapitalista wrote:Try logging in as root then
apt-get update
apt-get install xinit.

BTW which version of antiX are you using?

inxi -F will show you.
Thanks for you reply anticapitalista

Kernel: 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit)
Distro: antiX-M8.5 Marek Edelman 11 April 2010

I did as you said, now after rebooting I see the same thing and also after typing startx, I see

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Post contents of slim.conf

cat /etc/slim.conf

and of .xinitrc

cat ~/.xinitrc

and of xorg.conf

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Auzern
anticapitalista wrote:Post contents of slim.conf

cat /etc/slim.conf

and of .xinitrc

cat ~/.xinitrc

and of xorg.conf

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Thanks again, anticapitalista

For slim.conf:-

For .xinitrc:-
File not Found.

For xorg.conf:-
File not Found.

I'm sorry I did not know how to copy the text from the terminal and paste it onto the web browser; so this is why I used a camera.
And the other two files were not found. Only the slim.conf I could view.
Last edited by Auzern on 05 Aug 2010, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Sure there is no .xintrc in your home/user directory?

Login as user and type (el es dash a)
ls -a

If there is no .xinitrc file then you will have to use the livecd and copy the one from /home/demo/.xinitrc to your installed user directory.
secipolla
anti, there's no xinitrc because he was logged in as root.

Auzern, you can try to install your NVIDIA graphics driver with smxi. Just run

smxi
when logged as root in the text console and after the updates you proceed with the graphics driver install then choose the appropriate one for your card and follow the instructions.

Also antiX has a web browser that you can use to come to the forum while in the text mode.
First you have actually not one text console but six. You are in terminal 1 and can go to terminal 2 with Ctrl+Alt+F2 and so on up to terminal 6. So you can do whatever you need in terminal one and also open terminal 2 and use the browser to come to the forum.
To start the browser, type

links2
You will get a black screen, then type g to open the address bar and come to antix.freeforums.org. The up and down arrows browse through the links in the page and the left and right ones go to the next or the previous page. To scroll down the page use Ctrl+N and to scroll up use Ctrl+P.
Type Esc and you get a menu on the top of the screen where you have many more options and also the help.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Well spotted secipolla
Auzern
Hello again, anticapitalista, after I typed vi .xinitrc, I got it and also ls -a helped __{{emoticon}}__

Again I have taken pictures, here they are:
Last edited by Auzern on 05 Aug 2010, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Auzern
**UPDATE**

I just noticed the two new replies to this thread, I submitted the post already.
Reading them now.
secipolla
If you don't have wireless and you have an error message during the upgrade regarding the wicd (or wicd-daemon) package, you can just remove it with
apt-get purge wicd
and then try again the upgrade.
Auzern
A lot a updates were processed since 4 hours and now its all done, and yes that wicd, I just exit after it wanted me to retry cause I do not use wireless.
Now I'm back with the same problem after rebooting.

Auzern
**UPDATE**

After searching for solutions on google. This search result helped me ->
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1351375"
linktext was:"Link"
====================================

I typed in:-

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core
Now that I'm back to my old GUI. I still want to install the nVidia graphics drives, so I went up to nVidia's website and downloaded the driver. Installed it following the instructions. But I do not feel the difference after installing the driver. I thought it would be more smoother.

This is one of the best operating systems that I have used so far. Very Light-weight and the best apps available for old computers. Thanks to all the members who have helped in the making and maintaining this OS.
Now I just need to figure out a way to install the nVidia driver so that I can reduce lag while turning pages and browsing web.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
inxi -F will give information about your graphics. Then you can use the smxi or sgfxi script to install the drivers.
secipolla
Good that it's working, Auzern.
I suggested that you installed your NVIDIA driver with smxi (in its graphic drivers section) exactly because it removes any trace of earlier installations (and in your case, failed installations) before installing the driver.
To use only the graphics driver installation script you can run sgfxi.
By what you said, your system may be in a broken state regarding the updates so if you don't use wicd for anything (that is, if you don't have a wireless connection or don't have more than one kind of network connection) you can purge it (remove it as well as its configuration files) with

apt-get purge wicd
Then you try again to upgrade your system.

As anti said, if you run inxi -F you'll get a comprehensive description of your hardware/software specs.

The proprietary NVIDIA driver works much better than Xorg's nv driver (which is just a basic driver) for any card but nowadays Debian testing (from which antiX uses the repositories) uses the free nouveau driver for NVIDIA cards and this one works quite well. But I would think that for antiX to have it one would have to have a newer kernel than the default.