topic title: Upgrades
TLeeNorris
A couple or 3 questions and an oberservation:

I am running antiX-KDE - remastered and distro-upgraded with Etch, Lenny & Sid packages. Running this mixed version, I have noticed that Debian seems to release Sid and Lenny updates daily or weekly at least.

When do you upgrade your Sid? I know its unstable and they seem to release updates daily.

Do you upgrade or dist-upgrade?

Should we only upgrade like weekly or monthly? I visit Sidux and try and readup on any current warnings.

Just wandering.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hi xToecutter.

I am running antiX with sid (and sidux) repos on one partition and I dist-upgrade every day or two. I also visit the sidux forum for warnings and would advise any Sid users to do so.

I don't think you need the Etch repos anymore, and some would argue you don't need testing/Lenny, but should stick to Sid. Sid and Lenny are rolling releases so in theory all you need to do is just apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
forever!

My antiX-beta3-M7 is the one that has been dist-upgraded with minor problems for a year now and is still going strong and is bleeding-edge.

KDE may cause a few more headaches, especially when kde4 hits the sid repos, but I'm sure the guys at sidux will smoothen the path.
TLeeNorris
I did a remaster with just Sid as a source, and it seemed to limit my choices on packages. Some would not even install without the Etch & Lenny repos active. Yea, A few months back, I had a BIG problem with Sid and KDE. Sid killed my KDE, removed it as I wasn't paying attention to the warnings apt was giving. Learned a big lesson there, pay ATTTENTION when upgrading.
TLeeNorris
Heres a fine example with my dist-upgrade today:

Code: Select all

Unpacking replacement libgsmme1c2a ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libqtcore4_4.4.0~rc1-2_i386.deb
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 21776K
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 548K

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 22324K

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@AMD4000:~# dpkg --configure -a

(....apt finishing configuring upgrades...)

Errors were encountered while processing:
 libqt4-gui
 libqt4-network
 libqt4-script
 libqt4-dbus
 djview4
 libqt4-core
 libqt4-xml
 libqt4-test
root@AMD4000:~# 
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try
apt-get -f install
eriefisher
There have been a few issues with sid in the last week or two. The djview has been fixed. It came down as another dependency for something else and took about a week to get it right. The qt stuff was broken yesterday but today I upgraded again and all was good. You just have to be patient with sid. I have never had a package come down and actually break my system like Kubuntu.

I noticed today there were some packages that could be autoremoved and that seemed to fix the qt stuff.

eriefisher
TLeeNorris
anticapitalista wrote:Try
apt-get -f install
__{{emoticon}}__

That did it... thanks.