rustiguzzi
Upgraded from Jayaben Desai to Edelweisspiraten (antiX-12-486.iso), and as I need Japanese language facility I used 'metapackage-installer'. I thought it would ask which language I wanted but it went ahead and loaded the lot. OK, Japanese is among them and with ibus it works fine, as before.

I now find that Symantic is now running in Korean, which I cannot read. Also, when using Terminal, the output sometimes changes to that script. The Wastebasket icon label is also in Korean, but that's not a problem.

Any way I can get rid of this? I confess, language settings are a mystery to me. The odd thing is that not every bit of text is in Korean - but enough of it is to make life difficult.

FWIW, I'm using Xfce but I get the same result when switching to icewm.

Any suggestions welcome.
Last edited by rustiguzzi on 20 Jan 2013, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Remove Korean fonts?

apt-get purge ttf-alee ttf-baekmuk ibus-hangul
rustiguzzi
Brilliant! Thanks. I could never have worked that out on my own. After a reboot, everything came up OK - Synaptic is in English again, and and so is the output from the cli. Only the Wastebasket is still labelled in Korean, but that is no problem at all. It serves to remind me of how little I know.

Again, thanks.
rustiguzzi
The story continues . . .

The unwanted Korean script came back to haunt Synaptic and the cli. To deal with the latter, I removed libhangul and libhangul-data. I also removed fonts.baekmuk. Seemed to do the trick. As to Symantic, sometimes it would come up with all headings in English, sometimes they were in Korean. I should have mentioned that I cannot call up Symantic from the Applications menu, so I do it from the cli. It dawned on me eventually that it comes up in English when I use 'sudo', but with Korean headings when I call it within root. This is the error message that appears in Terminal:

(Synaptic nnnn): Gtk WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to errors parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 152: Element 'markup' was closed, but the currently open element is 'b'

This message appears twice.

I've no idea how to go about correcting this, so would appreciate any help. I understand the issue of not being able to call up Symantic from the menu has been dealt with in another thread, so I'll deal with that later. Meanwhile, I note that there's still some Korean in the system somewhere - the Wastebasket icon's label is in that script (not that it's any problem) and it's somehow getting into Symantic.

Searching for 'Korean' in Symantic produces python-chardet, the language packages in LibreOffice and Iceweasel, and a couple of Chinese-related packages. I'm reluctant to remove these yet.
rustiguzzi
PS: I've now amended the 'Exec' line in /usr/share/applications/symantec.desktop to read

Exec=gksu synaptic (was Exec=synaptic-pkexec)

and it can now be run from the Menu - but it asks for the root password and the headings and menus are in Korean. At least, I'm assuming it's Korean - it's not Chinese or Japanese, that's for sure.

The only way to run it in English is by sudo from the cli, where it requires the user password.

I'll shut up now.
rustiguzzi
Quick update - definitely Korean, and only affects root - and not only Symantic, the firewall settings appear in Korean too.
rustiguzzi
Realised eventually that this all started when I inadvertently installed ALL available languages instead of just the one I was interested in, so my poor old PC got somehow confused. I have now reloaded AntiX-12 from scratch, clearing away the contents of /home. I've done some checking, and everything's OK so I'll be rebuilding from the backup.

That'll keep me quiet for a while.
lucky9
You can use this (in Terminal as root):

dpkg-reconfigure locales

Uncheck any that you don't want/need.