dirkd
I used Antix15 to make myself a custom live USB. Works great. In that custom system there's a single user with elaborate changes in the home folder (e.g., there is a q4wine installation with C:-drive in the home folder) and desktop (new launchers mainly). I also wanted to use persistence, both home and root.

When I choose to boot with home persistence enabled, I expected to find back all my customisations, with the ability to add even more, which would then be saved in the persistence filesystem. What I saw was very different: my single user gets a new home folder, and a new desktop, which is essentially in the same state as the demo-user in freshly downloaded Antix-CD.

I could copy over (by hand) my custom user settings to the persistence filesystem, and from then on everything worked fine. But I had expected a somewhat smoother experience. Maybe all this is by design, but I wanted to report on my experience never the less.

Oh, and one more question. When setting up persistence in the Antix2usb script, one only has to decide on the size of the home- and root-persistence files. I divided all free space on the USB between the two. But when setting it up in the Antic-CC there is talk about a bunch of other persistence files (backups or so, I guess). Do I have to provide room for these extra files too?
skidoo
You found a BUG !
When I choose to boot with home persistence enabled, I expected to find back all my customisations
my single user gets a new home folder, and a new desktop, which is essentially in the same state as the demo-user in freshly downloaded Antix-CD.
edit: (earlier speculation removed)

I'm posting to confirm. With"home only" persistence, I get the same buggy result dirkd described.
It's seems like $home is being populated from /etc/skel.

tested by booting a fresh antix15 full 64bit pendrive and, during live-session:
-- changed wallpaper and theme for"demo"
-- created another user account"jojo"
-- performed isosnapshot using default settings

booted the pendrive created from snapshot iso and noted (perhaps indicating additional bug)
-- during init, a line stating"Error: Unknown distro name: Linux" is displayed (and logged to live-init.log)
-- boot menu F5 did not present a"root only" option
If run from an installed system, iso-snapshot would have retrieved the newest live-init.
If I had performed dist-upgrade prior to snapshot, the"root only" option would have been available in my snapshot result?

Using the default boot entry (no persistence), both"demo" and"jojo" are able to login.

With home persistence enabled, the content of /home/demo"seems same as /etc/skel"
With home persistence enabled,"jojo" login via slim fails.

With home+root persistence enabled, the content of /home/demo"seems same as /etc/skel"
With home+root persistence enabled,"jojo" login via slim fails.
^---- here,"jojo" __is__ able to successfully login via Ctrl+Alt+F2 console (probably same in"home only" scenario. I neglected to test that)

With root persistence enabled, both users are able to login. Everything is as-expected.
(note:"jojo" account had never actually logged in prior to snapshot, so having /home/jojo built during first login is expected.)

the problem seems to be within live-init but nothing remarkable shows in the logs
Last edited by skidoo on 26 Aug 2015, 05:42, edited 3 times in total.