topic title: uefi
Kropotkin
is it possible to install this on a machine that has uefi, and if so, how would one do that? i tried to install it, but it didn't seem to work out as planned and didn't work. thanks. __{{emoticon}}__
male
there is no universally applicable way to install.
The reason is every manufacturer implementiert the UEFI specification"something different" in his mainboard.

You can search from the Internet together the only themselves. __{{emoticon}}__
jdmeaux1952
There is no"one way" to correctly install and dual-boot Windows with Linux on an UEFI motherboard. Check YouTube.com and do a general Google search to see what is out there. Each motherboard manufacturer has their own steps set up for doing this and it can vary differently within the same manufacturer.

The general steps are to use Window's Disk Management program to shrink the Windows partition down by 50-75 Mb to allow Linux to be installed on that smaller partition. Then you need to disable the"Secure Boot" in BIOS to allow a"Legacy boot" which will allow your USB or optical drive to boot the system with Linux. Then you use gparted on the LiveCD/DVD/USB to find that 50-75 MB partition to install linux and select that partition. As you install Linux, you WILL NEED to install the GRUB 2 to the MBR for the dual-boot to work. Now is where everything starts getting tricky.

I have just built 2 different computers for other people which both used an uefi motherboard; one was an ASUS and the other was a Gigabyte. The ASUS had windows 7 and MX-14 dual-booting, so it was set as Legacy from the start. The Gigabyte had Windows 8.1 pre-installed in the hard drive and I added Ubuntu dual-booted, and I used the article "Escape Windows" from MaximumPC June 2015 edition as my guide.

If you are starting with an empty hard drive or SSD and the motherboard is uefi, don't set up Secure Boot in the BIOS and everything will start okay.
rokytnji
Might help. or not.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.google.com/search?q=uefi+Mepis+doc+site:forum.mepiscommunity.org&num=50&noj=1&sa=X&ved=0CCsQrQIoBDAAahUKEwjC3eCQoPvGAhWBnoAKHQBLB5k&biw=1280&bih=602"
linktext was:"https://www.google.com/search?q=uefi+Me ... 80&bih=602"
====================================
Jerry
We are going to have to get a UEFI doc into the MX/antiX Wiki pretty soon...
Kropotkin
thanks. i've got certain linux systems to install with uefi, just debian based ones seem to be trickier. i suppose there's no efi grub binary thingy included in debian or something. like there's no option for /boot/efi in the setup thingy.