nassausky
Hi all,

I think AntiX 13.2 might be my favorite live distribution so far mainly in my case because it's so low on resources and still has a debian base. I'm having a problem though on a laptop which I installed AntiX to the hdd.

History:

I decided to go from stable to testing so I changed the apt/sources.list to reflect the change removing the stable and adding the testing by editing the appropriate hash marks. Then I ran apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Current Problem:
I rebooted after a dist-upgrade and it starts up slim with the login prompt and I enter my login name and password and then I see the desktop for 2 seconds then it immediately logs me out and I'm returned to the slim (standard gui login screen). I have been able to login as root though. Nothing was changed besides the upgrade to testing repository.

Looked at /var/log/slim.log and it repeats
slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.
slim: open_session: Unable to open session: Process /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper received signal 11
followed later by
slim: unexpected signal 15

Looked at ~/.xsession-errors:0.0
Last section of error log shows:
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyConky: can't open display: :0.0
***** ImLib2 Developer Warning ***** :
This program is calling the Imlib call:
imlib_context_free();
With the parameter:
context
being NULL. Please fix your program.

Btw still new to this and if you have any files I need to run or check can you be a little specific with it and include file paths if possible.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help
BitJam
Signal 11 is a segmentation fault. It means a program was trying to access memory it is not allowed to touch. Since this happened right after a software upgrade, I suspect it means something is really screwed up in some of the software you installed. Most likely there is a version mismatch between a library and an application program that uses that library. This could cause miscommunication and result in a segfault.

The other possibility is that your hardware suddenly went bad but I think this is unlikely.

It might be possible to track down which program is seg-faulting but it might be much better to have someone give you instructions on how to redo the repo change and upgrade correctly. I don't know how to do this but there should be people here tomorrow who can help you. From what little I know, changing repos like this is fraught with peril. It is possible they will suggest you do a re-install.
nassausky
Thanks, how does one normally upgrade (or in other words change) to testing? I knew it was during the install which gave me the option but I thought I could just run upgrade with the new repos and dist upgrade it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Are you running live or installed?

Post your sources list

inxi -r

Also your .xinitrc in home/username folder
nassausky
The system I had running which would immediately log out after seeing the desktop load up for 2 seconds was an installed antix from a livecd.
I'm finishing up a complete reinstall and did a full format and check of the 2 resized partitions I put it on. It is an old laptop which had Windows 2000 on it. 256meg RAM, 1 Ghz PIII & 30 Gig HD which I gave about 8 Gig to Antix and a 600 Meg Swap. This time I chose the testing repo during install and did an update and dist-upgrade after it was installed. It's finishing that part up and I'm going to reboot after that.

A note during the dist-upgrade both times (first initially choosing stable and this second time initially choosing testing) it stopped twice in the middle with the following messages I chose YES on each one.

-----------------------------------------
Configuring uswsusp
The swap file or partition that was found in uswsusp's configuration
file is not active.
In most cases this means userspace software suspend will not work as
expected. You should choose another swap space.
However, in some rare cases, this configuration may be intentional.
Continue without a valid swap space?

Configuring libc6:i386
There are services installed on your system which need to be restarted
when certain libraries, such as libpam, libc, and libssl, are upgraded.
Since these restarts may cause interruptions of service for the system,
you will normally be prompted on each upgrade for the list of services
you wish to restart. You can choose this option to avoid being
prompted; instead, all necessary restarts will be done for you
automatically so you can avoid being asked questions on each library
upgrade.
Restart services during packages upgrades without asking?

The sources list I never changed from the downloaded Antix 13.2 live CD which I directly and immediately ran install after boot (Edit: I just had to run WiCD to get the usb net adapter working first). I am at a handicap now and can't post it cause it's doing the dist-upgrade a second time from this 2nd install.
I will also post the .xinitrc for you too if I come up with the same issue.
BTW is the .xinitrc the script that starts the apps/services during starting the X environment?

I forgot earlier and I should bring it up now is that there have been issues with it booting from USB. The BIOS doesn't support it so I installed plop boot manager from a ploplinux CD which allows booting from the USB. For some reason it just freezes during the bootup of any linux I tried booting from (with using the USB using the plop boot manager which is giving the new option to boot from USB). This is why I had burned a CD of Antix and ran the full install.

Thanks very much for the information and help.
nassausky
OK the plot thickens. Reinstall originally from testing gives the same results. Login which quickly logs out. It's looking that I didn't run as many tests as I should have. Guest (my account for now) and Root both function identically as noted below. I might have originally (during first install) tried to log in using jwm as root and not clicked on an app to test it out which is why I originally said my guest account logs back out but the root doesn't log back out. Both seem to be doing the exact same thing:

rox-fluxbox: Logs in and immediately back out
space-fluxbox: Does login but starting an app logs out
fluxbox: Does login but starting an app logs out
rox-icewm: Logs in and immediately back out
space-icewm: Logs in and immediately back out
icewm: Does login but starting an app logs out
rox-jwm: Logs in and immediately back out
space-jwm: Logs in and immediately back out
jwm: Does login but starting an app logs out
wmii: Logs into a black desktop with no seeming left or right click action but a small vertical line on the top that can be dragged left and right horizontally (very strange)

I'm trying now to figure out how I can send over (or paste) those files you asked for if the laptop doesn't open to a X gui. I will work on that probably mounting a flash drive.
dolphin_oracle
did everything work before the dist-upgrade?

are you sure the dist-upgrade completed successfully? I tried to do one this morning with the testing repos (32 bit) and I had to restart the operation twice to complete.

if you can get to the command prompt, try running as root apt-get install -f and then apt-get dist-upgrade again.

if you have the grub boot, select the option that says init 3 to boot to a command prompt.
nassausky
Here goes trying to paste it again. I was having problems now with a Forbidden error.

OK got it thanks for the tip anticapitalista. I had to do a search and replace for ' /' and replace it with ' ' (space slash with space). Here is the .xinitrc:

Code: Select all

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# .xinitrc 
#
# Created by usr/share/antiX/lib/make-xinitrc
# on 4 November 2013 @ 17:44:28 EST
# Please add any modifications to .xinitrc-custom and not this file.
# This file will be re-written by update-default-desktop.  The
# DEFAULT_DESKTOP line will be edited by antiX-init if you select
# a desktop via the bootloader menu or a"desktop=xxx" boot parameter.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------

[ -x ~/.xinitrc-custom ] && ~/.xinitrc-custom

[ -f ~/.Xmodmap ] && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

DEFAULT_DESKTOP="rox-icewm"
DESKTOP_CODE="$(echo"${1:-$DEFAULT_DESKTOP}" | tr"[A-Z]""[a-z]")"

sdir=$HOME/.antix-session
mkdir -p $sdir
display=${DISPLAY%.[0-9]}
echo"$DESKTOP_CODE" > $sdir/desktop-code$DISPLAY
echo $$              > $sdir/xinitrc-pid:$display

case"$DESKTOP_CODE" in
    rox-fluxbox)
        rox --pinboard=antiX-fluxbox
        exec usr/bin/startfluxbox
        ;;
    space-fluxbox)
        spacefm --desktop &
        ;;
    fluxbox)
        ;;
    rox-icewm)
        rox --pinboard=antiX-icewm
        exec usr/bin/icewm-session
        ;;
    space-icewm)
        spacefm --desktop &
        ;;
    icewm)
        ;;
    rox-jwm)
        rox --pinboard=antiX-jwm
        exec usr/bin/jwm
        ;;
    space-jwm)
        spacefm --desktop &
        exec usr/bin/jwm
        ;;
    jwm)
        exec usr/bin/jwm
        ;;
    wmii)
        exec wmii
        ;;
    *)
        echo"Unknown DESKTOP_CODE: $DESKTOP_CODE" >&2
        echo"Setting DESKTOP_CODE to rox-icewm" >&2
        DESKTOP_CODE="rox-icewm"
        echo"$DESKTOP_CODE" > $HOME/.antix-session/desktop-code$DISPLAY
        rox --pinboard=antiX-icewm
        ;;
esac
Here is the sources list:

Code: Select all

Repos:    Active apt sources in file: etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
            deb http://antix.daveserver.info/testing testing main
            Active apt sources in file: etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
            deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
            deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
nassausky
Great idea dolphin I will give it a try. It was working great before the dist-upgrade. Never thought about the apt-get install -f option.
nassausky
@dolphin. OK ran those commands in init 3. It notified me of about 11 meg that had to be removed using apt-get autoremove. Nothing new was installed. Rebooted and still the same issue. Thanks though.
nassausky
@dolphin, by the way the install original 2 dist-upgrades returned to the command line without any errors. (Just the 2 confirmations in the middle of installation as I mentioned in my earlier post) I'm curious though about you mentioning you had to"restart the operation twice to complete". Do you recall where during the upgrade it did this.
dolphin_oracle
Mine just looked like it finished, but it didn't. I had problems with x starting. I noticed in the dist-upgrade there was quite a bit of xserver stuff getting upgraded. I also had a error concerning libaudit0 being removed but being a dependency for systemd and xserver-xorg-core, but the dist-upgrade continued and removed it. But my"testing" system is still working, but I though it was worth passing on.
fatmac
Your problem sounds similar to a distro that didn't create a /home/user dir when installing.
Perhaps check that the permissions haven't been altered (?).
jdmeaux1952
Before linux-image-3.7.10-antix.7-486-smp was"finalized" and offered as a complete iso on sourceforge, I used the apt-get dist-upgrade steps listed at the antix.mepis main page, dated 5 November 2013. Somebody had mentioned about having to apt-get dist-upgrade TWICE as root terminal to make sure ALL the libs loaded properly. I was just getting in to antiX and hadn't realized the way things were working weren't NORMAL.

Once the 12 Nov release of the"finalized" image was out, I downloaded it and installed it. Haven't really had a problem with it since. But then I'm still in kindergarten learning (actually relearning) coding.

They get 3 hot meals a day, all the drugs they want, get to watch tv most of the day, and don't have to work. Now think who is CRAZY?,
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Also check that the home directory isn't full.

You could try boooting using the init 3 option and at the black screen, type usernabe and password then startx.

If this works, then there is an issue with either slim login manger or something in /home. Possibly your .xinitrc file permissions got changed to root?

Also, post etc/slim.conf