topic title: Tinyflux
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Just downloaded Tinyflux, based on PCLinuxOS, has fluxbox and all the trimmings of PCLOS, have not burned the cd yet, but ran it in virtualbox, all seemed to run ok, though I am not a fan of PCLOS, as I found it locked up too many times, guess I am spoiled by Mepis, and anitX. Thought I might give it a whirl when I return home and play with it while waiting for Mepis to go final.

cheers,
oldhoghead
dieselbenz
oldhoghead wrote:Just downloaded Tinyflux, based on PCLinuxOS, has fluxbox and all the trimmings of PCLOS ...
I downloaded and ran in live-CD mode. I was curious, since I use PCLOS on my primary system.

Not a bad little distro but certainly doesn't come with as many applications as antiX does -- no streamtuner, no pidgin, etc. I certainly wouldn't dump antiX in favor of Tinyflux.

Here is how I test a distro, and it is probably unfair. I load it up (hopefully in live-CD mode), go to the CNN web site, and see if it will play their video clips without having to add anything (Win32 codecs, etc.).

Tinyflux doesn't, but instead gives a prompt to download the player. If I remember correctly, antiX played the videos fine even when running from the CD.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I haven't tried the final of Tinyflux, though I did try the last test release.
I like it. I think for those people used to PCLinuxOS, but wanting a lite version will be very pleased with Tinyflux.
acidburned
tinyflux is ok,but no where near as good as antix.they will improve it,just like you have anti with antix(awsome one person job).
oldhoghead
Site Admin
I agree, it has all the spit and polish that PCLOS is revered for, but,,,,, I know it's old hat but Mepis and antiX just work. I think that Tiny is a good distro for someone who is familiar and keen on PCLOS, but I prefer Mepis, and antiX, they are just rock solid. Been running 6.5 on one my laptops and one desktop for over a year, and have had 0 lockups on the desktop and 1 or 2 on the laptop, that was probably due to my own incompetence, compared with Windows, ha! ha! how bout couple of blue screens a day!!!! I have never had antiX Sparticus, or Lysistrata give me any problems.
I have rescued several people from Windows since my conversion. And I continue to proselytize to any and all and whatever distro they choose is an improvement over the other operating system, is that an oxymoron????

cheers
oldhoghead
UnicornRider
oldhoghead wrote: the other operating system, is that an oxymoron????
Yup - with Ubuntu as"secure server system" approximating __{{emoticon}}__
.ee
There are other mini distributions based on PCLinux:

Tinyme:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/tinyme:home"
linktext was:"http://www.mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/tinyme:home"
====================================
TinyMe is an effort to create a very small remaster of PCLinuxOS. We do this for those of you who have old computers, like to mess around with small/fast systems, or want to program for a lightweight environment. TinyMe is comparable to distributions like Puppy1), AntiX, and DSL. If you like small distributions and you like PCLinuxOS, you'll probably like TinyMe.
MidiFlux, TinyFlux, NanoFlux etc.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/"
linktext was:"http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/"
====================================
PCFluxboxOS is a beautiful little remaster series of PCLinuxOS with Fluxbox as the window manager.
I tried only MidiFlux and I liked Antix more based on the first imresssion and the booting time, but please view it as a very preliminary and subjective impression.
OU812
There is also SAM, which uses xfce and engage.

john