torsten
Dear all,

I thought everything was fine since the mixer showed the card correctly etc - but once I really wanted to listen to radio I realized:
- Thinkpad 600x (full extension of CPU and RAM) with antiX 16.2 does not play sound.
- Driver is snd-cs46xx. This requires an extra firmware package which I installed from also-1.0.28-firmware.
- dmesg only points out, that the crystal sound card shares IRQ 11 with Cardbus and mini-PCI-WLAN-card. No complaints (any more) about driver or firmware not loading or the (in)famous FIFO waiting fault.
--> short: driver seems to load and work, no messages.
- check sound from control center also says it is able to contact the card - only I hear nothing.
- alsamixer: all channels are unmuted, card is correctly seen (it seems) - but no sound.
- in DOS, OS/2, WinXp (Multiboot setup) soundplays fine.

--> where else can I search for the fault???

Torsten

BTW: other than the sound issue - the old TP600x really works fine. 80MB of 570MB are used o n idle desktop or when running just a few terminals, no swap used at all, most of the time around 10% CPU load - and the GUI reacts fast.
Firefox sometimes gets a bit slow, but that happens even on a dual core every now and then...
fatmac
Does it have a headphone socket, does it work?
Might have to 'amplify' the sound, (I read how to do it somewhere on here).
torsten
Yes, it has a headphone socket. Plays beeps when changing volume with hardware buttons - but no sound from antiX ;-(
With my two other kernels (3.7 and 3.16) it is similar: mixer claims to be able to contact the card - but playing only silence., but sometimes the FIFO not completing-fault in dmesg. Driver is however loaded and dmesg also confirms loading the firmware files...

Torsten
torsten
Update:

Tried 13.2 live CD - there the Sound works out of the Box. As does the Network.

And my 16.2 Installation is anyway junk: Tried to install Chromium metapackage. That deinstalls all the ROX components, so not even the terminal opens any more. And the Chromium is of course also useless, since no SSE-2 CPU.

I guess I will then install 13.2 and live with this and some updated packages...

Torsten
masinick
torsten wrote: Update:

Tried 13.2 live CD - there the Sound works out of the Box. As does the Network.

And my 16.2 Installation is anyway junk: Tried to install Chromium metapackage. That deinstalls all the ROX components, so not even the terminal opens any more. And the Chromium is of course also useless, since no SSE-2 CPU.

I guess I will then install 13.2 and live with this and some updated packages...

Torsten
Since it was JUST released (yesterday) you may also want to grab the Live installation image of antiX 17 and see if you have better success with it than you did with the antiX 16.2 update.  Otherwise, the 13.2 release will probably serve it's purpose, especially if you're running it Live, but if you do install it on your system, make sure to update the software to the most current packages.  There have been a number of recent security updates coming from the upstream Debian 9.2.1 software, including some important changes.  Just in case you have any important information on any of your systems, you don't want anything compromised in any way.  Whichever approach you choose, I hope it works out well for you.