The new Minty Swift Linux is here!

swiftlinuxcreator
The new Minty Swift Linux has arrived! Swift Linux is now a lightweight derivative of Linux Mint Debian Edition!

Swift Linux 0.2.0 is now available at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.swiftlinux.org"
linktext was:"http://www.swiftlinux.org"
====================================
. There are two plain vanilla editions, Diet Swift Linux and Regular Swift Linux. The new Silicon Valley Swift Linux joins Taylor Swift Linux, Minnesota Swift Linux, and Chicago Swift Linux in the lineup of special editions.

Swift Linux is the best of all worlds! It combines the superior software, hardware, and codec support of Linux Mint with a lightweight and user-friendly interface inspired by Puppy Linux and antiX Linux.

P.S. Swift Linux NEEDS more developers! The web site will point you to the bug tracking database, source code, instructions on getting started, build scripts, and checklists.
Dave
This seems to be heading it the direction you are intending to go. There are a few small things that I have noticed while surfing around that you may wish to fix.

1. menu --> run (there is no program set)

2. minimize the cascading windows.
It seems to be an annoyance when opening applications that open more applications that open even more. It quickly covers the screen. If you would prefer to stay this way maybe make them overlap each other instead of moving into more desktop space.

3. give credit where credit is due.
It seems that for all the applications that you import into swift you modify for swift's use. This is fine however I would ask out of respect to others that you include reference to the original authors. I did notice that you include"From *DISTRIBUTION*" or similar, however I believe on top of this you should include"Original Authors: _____" to you headers. Also for all GUI's I think you should also give credit to the origin of the application in the about dialog.

I am not sure what is actually necessary / what should be in the headers and about dialogs, but I was told to include something similar to the following as the header.

Code: Select all

# Dependencies: *DEPENDENCIES*
# File Name: *FILE NAME*
# Version: *VERSION*
# Purpose:  *PURPOSE*
# Authors: *AUTHORS

# Copyright (C) *PERSON/GROUP* *WEBSITE/EMAIL*
# License: gplv2
# This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
################################################################################
#################################################################
I do know that anticapitalista, bitjam, as well as lagopus will probably know more about this, perhaps they can take a look and weigh in on this as well.
Osgeld
does not fit my requirements, in fairness I dont own a P2

686 with at least 48 megs of ram (to boot) is pretty much standard issue for every distro out there, I use anti cause it runs on my 586 and its not dead in the water. So while your distro looks very interesting, its not that compelling to me, and thats just me.
masinick
I've got Swift Linux 0.2.0 (along with previous editions) on DVD, and I installed the 0.2.0 edition on my Lenovo Y410 laptop. At least for me, the things I like the best are the things that mimic antiX. The few things I don't care for come from Mint; again, that's just personal preference. The default appearance is a bit bright for my taste; I'll have to try another one of the"marketing" flavors; I liked the Taylor Swift version the last time I tried it. I see what IceWM appearance items I can pull in on my own otherwise, but it's a good, solid Debian Testing system, decent starting point for anyone who wants to do their own thing, and have plenty of forensic tools to use; it's really strong in that area.
Colonel Panic
I've tried it too and it's a good distro for older computers. The only problem I had with it was changing the wallpaper (which I eventually managed to do by copying the wallpaper I wanted onto a file called rox-regular.jpg).

Well done, it deserves to do well.