plvera
Hello:
First of all, I would like to thank Anticapitalista and the rest of the developers for a great product. This is a great operating system and I am very pleased with its performance.

I ran Antix8 (test2) in two dell laptops I have.

1) LiveCD
A) Dell inspiron 1721 (2 G RAM). It's a refurbished box but my sweet box __{{emoticon}}__
1. A small problem with wallpaper resizing 2 or 3 times before full-screen after log-in.
2. Antix worked great out the box. Detected my wireless card with wicd.
3. Tried fast-boot option: did not think it was significantly faster than regular.

B) Dell inspiron 7500 (my sad old laptop with broken hinge and dead battery)
1. Fast boot leads to blank screen.
2. Regular boot:
No problem with wall paper (unlike above)
Wireless card not detected by any of the methods
-card is lynksis PCMCIA using broadcom drivers
Ethernet card worked ok
3. Gparted was unable to partition drive
Tried 3x and gparted quit without partitioning and said there were errors.

2. Hard-disk install
Since liveCD was not able to partition my disk, I did a HD install on the inspiron 7500 (but chose the option not to overwrite my home folder).
A) wireless card was recognized by ceni but not by the others
B) was unable to retest the fast-boot option since my grub menu does not show the options line (is this related to my not having overwritten my previous /home folder)?

After this, my old dell is working nicely with the new Antix. Sound from CD worked great. Everything else seems great.

Once again, thanks to all who worked on this release. I hope this info helps.

best regards,
Pedro
plvera
I tried the smxi script dist-upgrade in my old laptop and it seemed to work.

After the upgrade, I noticed that conky (and inxi) both say my kernel is 2.6.27-1, but I thought that anti's post said it should be 2.6.27-5, or something like that? I'm not sure if this is a result of the smxi dist-upgrade or the kernel was never installed.

Could it also be related to my not having overwritten my home drive?

I notice that my icewm does not show the features (ex. new installer) that Anti mentioned in his announcement post.

Thanks.
Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Pedro

You have the 2.6.27-5 kernel, but Mepis hasn't renamed it so it appears as 2.6.27-1.

It should be in the ice menu under System->Tools->Meta-Installer
If not, type install-meta in a terminal (as root)